Do we need a special seat?

LuvBug

The kid outgrew his harness a year and a half ago right after he turned 8. We have struggled with his behavior in a booster ever since.

He is ASD and I truly have tried everything I could find and the only thing that works is distraction with a good book or gaming system.
He isn't a obsessive with them though and sometimes he is just tired of them and want to chat or bug his brother.

We struggle with proper positioning. He knows what he has to do, but forgets so easy and often.

I'm constantly having to remind him and I have wanted to get him a harness.

He will be 10 in a couple months is 55.5" and between 80-85lbs. His last harness seats were the Husky and Frontier85 and he outgrew them both in the harness over a year ago.

ADS

Chely7425

It sounds like you do... There is a version of the Monterrey (called the pilot) with a positional harness, perhaps that would be an option? There's also a probooster with a positional harness but I believe the pilot is taller

LuvBug

A vest would not be good as he is a car rider for school and they enforce a drive thru drop off/ pick up method.

He is between 80-85lbs, it differs pretty often with him. 85 is the highest so far.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Since it sounds like you have a Frontier 85, how about an 86Y in conjunction with the Frontier in booster mode?

Warning: It's not officially approved for use this way by Britax, but EZ-ON does approve the use of their harness with booster seats.

I would imagine one could also use the Britax Secure Guard clip with this set-up to essentially create a full 5-point harness system.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
A vest would not be good as he is a car rider for school and they enforce a drive thru drop off/ pick up method.

He is between 80-85lbs, it differs pretty often with him. 85 is the highest so far.

What other options to kids/parents have at your school?
Can you park walk him across the street or around the corner?
Talk to your administrators (and his special education teacher) to get permission to park and let him out.

You could add a statement in the transportation section of his IEP ("driver must park to assist ____ out of vehicle" - sorry, my writing skills are toast) - its a safety thing after all.

LuvBug

What other options to kids/parents have at your school?
Can you park walk him across the street or around the corner?
Talk to your administrators (and his special education teacher) to get permission to park and let him out.

You could add a statement in the transportation section of his IEP ("driver must park to assist ____ out of vehicle" - sorry, my writing skills are toast) - its a safety thing after all.

There actually is no where to park, that is why they enforce it. The school is in the middle of the woods miles from any "corner"
They have limited parking, which is taken up by employees and volunteers. The only place to park is right in front, which is where the drop off is happening.

We went rounds with this situation before and it was crap. Finally was able to get him to a good place. I'd prefer the 86Y or a positioning booster vs a vest. We have done very well with harnesses.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The 86-Y IS a vest. It's just one that can be used with the seatbelt, rather than using a special mount. :)

It can be used with a backless booster or alone, so that may be your best bet.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
At his height, 5 stepping mostly and stuff, you are going to start having problems with a positioning booster making the seat belt fit worse. Am 86Y is and option, but you have to use a locking clip with a lap/shoulder belt installation and you have to get a HDTA installed at his weight. It's an option, but I'm not sure you want it to be his first line of defense. The Roosevelt has the highest harness height, and that is more expensive, but more practical, except for the part where you have to move it car to car.

How exactly is he moving? Is he just leaning around, or is he actually taking hte belt off or putting the shoulder belt behind him, etc? If it's just him moving around, I'd give it a trial of locking the retractor as a reminder. I'd also put his brother right next to him so he can interact without leaning.

Another thing you can try, putting him in the front for some retraining. It's not ideal as a long term solution, but as a training tool, it does work because you can correct his behavior a lot faster and he's tall enough and old enough that he will be up at adult sitting height in a booster and relatively safe from the airbag.

LuvBug

Just not staying in position. He knows very well not to take the belt off in any way.

He's already outgrown the Roosevelt. The front seat is definitely not an option. It is something we have struggled with as being not allowed. If I let him after all this time I feel it will set us back.

His brother and him are already as close as their seats allow them. He will lay across his brother and such.

If I remember correctly my car says not to lock the retractor. It used to be routine to lock it until we got a new car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC