what I saw on the little school bus today

bethng

I teach special ed so my students are transported on the "little buses". Last year my 4yo student was in a 5pt seat (forget which kind) but he was under 40lbs (about 36 I think) so that was fine. This year I went to put him on the bus and said "where is his car seat?" and the driver says "right over there" I go look and its a safeseat star. (hope I got that right) Made just for buses and it harnessed to 65lbs. He fit in it very well so I was happy to see that they had that for him and that he could use it for a long time.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I teach special ed so my students are transported on the "little buses". Last year my 4yo student was in a 5pt seat (forget which kind) but he was under 40lbs (about 36 I think) so that was fine. This year I went to put him on the bus and said "where is his car seat?" and the driver says "right over there" I go look and its a safeseat star. (hope I got that right) Made just for buses and it harnessed to 65lbs. He fit in it very well so I was happy to see that they had that for him and that he could use it for a long time.

YEAH! What are the chances you can snag some pics?

Kimberly

flipper68

Senior Community Member
no problem. I will take my camera out to the buses tomorrow afternoon. I dont have permission to post the pics of my student in the seat so I might need some pointers on how to blur his face.

I'm so jealous. I just have horror stories from "my" little bus kids:

The 70+ in an AO harness, because they couldn't keep her in her seat any other way (she was 4 or 5 at the time). After I said something, they decided to give her her very own, personal bus ride to/from school each day with a monitor sitting beside her. . .she also had some icky habits - like spitting and grabbing other kids/stuff. (Good thing she didn't live too far away).

Another student when on a field trip in his w/c that was NOT transport approved, did not have a seat belt OR ANY head support. They did use a gait belt as a seat belt. I never learned if the bus had a seat belt for the w/c passenger or not. I was livid! Needless to say, he was in an E-Z on vest for the next trip.

musicmaj

My son has a harness just like that on his schoolbus. I requested it and they had absolutely no problems putting it on there for him. It is great, easy to use and he has loads of room as the harness is so high.

bethng

I'm so jealous. I just have horror stories from "my" little bus kids:

The 70+ in an AO harness, because they couldn't keep her in her seat any other way (she was 4 or 5 at the time). After I said something, they decided to give her her very own, personal bus ride to/from school each day with a monitor sitting beside her. . .she also had some icky habits - like spitting and grabbing other kids/stuff. (Good thing she didn't live too far away).

Another student when on a field trip in his w/c that was NOT transport approved, did not have a seat belt OR ANY head support. They did use a gait belt as a seat belt. I never learned if the bus had a seat belt for the w/c passenger or not. I was livid! Needless to say, he was in an E-Z on vest for the next trip.

I have had a few run-ins with the transportation dept. Once I had to tell them that some of their car seats were expired. Another time I had to tell them that the 3pt harness seats were not as safe as the 5pt and to please get rid of them because I wanted my students as safe as possible. I have had to tighten the drivers instals, adjust straps, move chest clips from the lap to the armpit level. But to our districts credit, the drivers do listen, I did get my kids new seats (not the kind I would have picked but brand new and 5pt ones) and this year we have that cool new safeguard star!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC