In an accident

gsdguenter

First off, everyone's ok!

I rear ended someone on my way home from PT today right in front of the state trooper's barracks (lovely, huh).

Air bags didn't deploy (either her Nissan Sentra, or my Kia Sedona) but her whole rear bumper was ripped off. My hood and right front bumper are dented and the right front headlight is cracked.

It was right at a stoplight and I just didn't judge how fast she braked in front of me. I feel wicked stupid. Ugh. Seriously, like an idiot!

I didn't have the kids with me, but I did have their seats installed. A brand new ProSport and my beloved MT :(

I called GEICO and my insurance covers the damage to the other car. I have a $500 deductible and I'm meeting with the insurance adjuster tomorrow morning at the shop to get it fixed and my rental. I asked the CS lady on the phone if my car seats would be covered. She said the adjuster would check them and determine (????? Is he a CPST or something? - I forgot to ask). If so, they'd write me a check to reimburse me. She said to bring my receipts. I have the receipt for the ProSport (bought off NBD) but I got the MT used. No receipt. Any thoughts? Do people really keep receipts? I only have the ProSport one because I just bought it and for some reason didn't throw it away.

So, off to get this sorted out early in the am before DD1 meets the urologist tomorrow 2 hrs away to see if she has the same issue DD2 had surgery to correct. And I thought this was going to be a nice, relaxing vacation. . .

I'm assuming the seats have to be replaced, but maybe I'm wrong?

ETA: I drove away but she didn't. I was going maybe 20 mph, not really sure though.

ADS

gsdguenter

So glad to hear that everyone is ok! Let me know if you need to borrow any seats

Thanks. I have a few extra seats lol ;)

In looking through the ProSport, it says replace after a severe accident.

ETA: MT manual says replace after any accident.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My insurance guy asked if I had receipts. I didn't, so he asked for photos and the brand/model of each, then they took the prices off Amazon. They won't find the MT there, though. I don't know how they'd go about replacing that one.

gsdguenter

Not sure what they'll say about the MT. I'm okay taking the loss if they don't cover that one. I'll certainly inquire, but won't push the issue. I feel like I got my money's worth - got used used here on swap for $300 and have used it daily since then.

I'll be annoyed if they don't reimburse me for my ProSport though.

stephie1012

I was in an accident last week. I was stopped at a light some lady never even attempted to stop, hit the car behind me and caused a chain reaction, 5 cars total, mine in the middle. I have geico and they told me the same thing about the adjuster. I asked how is he going to be able to see small stress fractures and things like that, she told me he was highly qualified and trained very well. I told her the manual says to replace after any accident and she said oh he will check them over. One car was totaled, another not able to drive away and minor injuries. I was really surprised that is the policy with geico.

We ended up just dealing with the at fault drivers insurance (nationwide) and they have been great. Claims guy told me seats definitely need to be replaced no questions asked.
Good luck with your claim, it is no fun dealing with all this.

morgaine108

I had a mild/moderate accident a few weeks ago and we also used the at fault party's insurance USAA and they paid to replace all three of mine. All of mine said to replace after ANY kind of accident. I sent them a pdf on each seat showing it in the car, the sticker info from the seat, the manual front page and where it says to replace. If I had the receipt I included that, but two I did not, so I just put in a screen print of the seats from the retailer's website where I bought them. They issued a check for the exact amount of those three prices.

gsdguenter

So GEICO originally didn't want to replace either seat. The adjuster said the accident didn't meet any of the 5 criteria for replacement: impact on door closest to CR, air bags deploy, able to drive away from scene, visible CR damage, and whatever the 5th one was.

I showed him the manuals and the MT clearly says to replace after any accident. The ProSport says after a serious accident. After sine back and forth and pulling the CPST card, he said to go buy a seat comparable in price to the MT and he'd cut he a check. I ended up with a sureride for $80 at Target :p it's really all I wanted/needed.

Someone tell me the ProSport really is okay to use? I just don't feel good about it.

The damage to my van was $2100ish and I'll get it back Monday supposedly.

thepote

So GEICO originally didn't want to replace either seat. The adjuster said the accident didn't meet any of the 5 criteria for replacement: impact on door closest to CR, air bags deploy, able to drive away from scene, visible CR damage, and whatever the 5th one was.

I showed him the manuals and the MT clearly says to replace after any accident. The ProSport says after a serious accident. After sine back and forth and pulling the CPST card, he said to go buy a seat comparable in price to the MT and he'd cut he a check. I ended up with a sureride for $80 at Target :p it's really all I wanted/needed.

Someone tell me the ProSport really is okay to use? I just don't feel good about it.

The damage to my van was $2100ish and I'll get it back Monday supposedly.

So glad you are ok.

You got carte blanche for any seat to replace a $500 imported seat and you got a Sureride???!!! You have the restraint of a saint :p

stephie1012

So glad you are ok.

You got carte blanche for any seat to replace a $500 imported seat and you got a Sureride???!!! You have the restraint of a saint :p

Lol I was thinking the same thing!! Idk, I'd probably replace. Just for the simple fact that I replaced the other seat and would feel incredibly guilty if something were to happen. I'm glad geico agreed to replace. I was so worried when I thought I had to go through them.

I just forwarded my receipts to nationwide and they sent the check out next day, I'm truly impressed with their customer service. The agent went out of his way to say he would never go without and would not want anyone else to go without a safe seat because of an accident.

gsdguenter

So glad you are ok.

I know lol. I didn't really need anything and didn't feel like getting another MT since DD2 is going to be 4 is 2 weeks

gsdguenter

So much for self control.

DD2 didn't like the SureRide. The buckle dug into her thigh. So, I told my adjuster I was returning it and ordered a Foonf lol. Just got my check :)

I ordered the hearts and shades one on amazon for $419. He was a little confused between the $80 and $419 difference, but when I pulled up the price of the MT for him and watched him convert the 300 euros to $ he agreed. He then said "I hope my wife never finds out there are $400 car seats out there!"

Oh, and they finished my van early so I just got it back this afternoon. Total came to $2600. They replaced the right headlamp and front number. Then fixed the dent on the hood. There was some other damage but I don't recall what it was. I was so concerned about getting money for my seat lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC