In a minor accident- replace seats?

Bellarose0919

So, we were in a minor accident that meets the NHTSA standards for minor (except we haven't had the seats thoroughly inspected yet) and we have two Britax seats. One is a boulevard 70 manufactured in 2010 and the other is a frontier 85 SICT manufactured this year, if it matters.

But, I still feel nervous. I have spent years hearing/reading how the plastic can be strained and stressed in ways that aren't visible. We were going just under 45 mph but the car was able to drive away, no damage to the vehicle near the seats, nobody was injured, etc. Should we replace the seats anyway? It just makes me nervous that most manufacturers say to replace no matter what even though Britax says to follow the NHTSA standards.

Also, where is a valid place to take them to get thoroughly inspected if we do keep them? I feel like just any police officer might not know what to look for.

ADS

Bellarose0919

Approximately 45 mph doesn't sound minor to me. Have you checked the tethers for the stitching being ripped?

I know! It doesn't sound minor to me either, even though we fit those NHTSA standards!

No, my husband drove the damaged vehicle to work today. It has bungee cords holding up the front bumper but is otherwise drivable.

We have the other car with her Radian in it. I'll have to inspect them when he gets home. It was too dark before.

But, even if I don't find visible signs of strain, what would you do? Replace anyway? It will be out-of-pocket and a hardship but we will do it if necessary.

Bellarose0919

Talking to my husband, we really feel like we want to err on the side of caution.

We are going to not have a seat in our car for a few months. We are going to put my daughter's radian in the van (it should be fixed by the end of the week) and buy a new seat for the baby (the second seat was installed for a yet to be born baby, due any day). When our bank account looks a little better, we may buy seats for the other vehicle.

So, new question...

What do we do with the old seats?

I know that if you are in an accident where they are supposed to be replaced you are supposed to cut the straps, etc. to discourage anyone from using them.

But, in this case, where the seats are safe to use according to NHTSA... what do I do? Should I sell or give them away definitely disclosing that they were in a minor accident? Should I keep them around so we can use them in an emergency? Or even install them in our other vehicle, again, just for emergency use?

Hmm...

Bellarose0919

Just read about replacing seatbelts after a crash, which I had never heard of before.

So, um, what is the criteria for that? Are the NHTSA standards the same? The standards say nothing about speed so... are my seatbelts okay?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I really don't know whether there are established criteria on seat belt replacement. As far as I know, it's down to a judgment call. If anybody has more concrete information, I'd love to see it.

Were there really NO injuries at all? Did the driver have a "seat belt bruise" or anything? Soreness? It's hard for me to believe that if there wasn't enough strain on the seat belt to leave a bruise, that the seat belt had that much force applied to it (and the same would apply to the car seats). But... I wasn't there so all I can do is make guesses.

bakinlove

Is your car insurance repairing any part of the vehicle? I think I would add the seats to the claim if you are making one. If they replace them great, if not you are no worse off than you were before. Good luck, and very glad that no one was injured!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC