Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: AC hose

AC hose

My SIL just asked me about something kind of like this: http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...keep-cops-cool

I couldn't get the link she sent me to work, but it was the same idea. She said she found it on a car seat group website... Not sure which.

I haven't ever seem anything like it and just laughed! But now I must ask... Could it be okay?

She doesn't have vents in the back and has my nephew RF and 1 on the way. We live in south FL and it is summer, so just looking for a conclusion on this one.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: AC hose

LOL! I wouldn't attempt that. I would start the AC in the car with the windows down a few minutes before getting in, or leave ice packs in the seat while shopping, and a light blanket covering the seat. Pointing all the air vents up helps to get the cool air to RF'ers too. I might even spritz the one year old with a spray bottle to help him cool off.

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Carseat Crazy
    I bet she is talking about the noggle. Nogglenation.com

I think from what I have read, it would be safe. Granted, I'm not a tech, but I would consider using one!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadaisy View Post
    I bet she is talking about the noggle. Nogglenation.com

I think from what I have read, it would be safe. Granted, I'm not a tech, but I would consider using one!
    YES! That is it!

Any techs want to chime in on nogglenation or has there already been a post about it?

Well, I'll just say that it's a bit beyond the scope of the CPS curriculum for a tech to give an opinion on it. I'd say it doesn't look like it interferes with the seat itself, so just like mirrors, it's up to you. I personally use the "would you smack your kid in the face with it" test to decide on stuff like that. If the hose is soft, I'd call it good. Only other thing to consider might be entanglement hazard, so watch that in choosing a routing.

Re: AC hose

I agree with AK Dad. I have seen this and if it's not too hard/heavy I think it's probably harmless. There's always a risk of unforeseen and unintended consequences. But this is not really a car seat accessory, and does not appear to attach to or alter the use of the car seat in any way. I would have to see one in person to form a personal/parental opinion, but I could see possibly using it. Anything else you do to cool the kid off, like a sippy cup of ice water or whatever, also has the potential to have unintended consequences.

As a tech, I would have to say I have no opinion on it because it's a vehicle accessory not a car seat accessory. If I saw one come through a seat check, I'd feel it was overstepping my education/training to tell a parent to discontinue using it. I also wouldn't feel qualified to give it my stamp of approval. All I can say about it (and I believe what I did say when I found and shared the idea on Facebook) is that it's an "interesting idea."

Bear in mind that there are no federal motor vehicle safety standards that apply to these items. Unless the item poses a choking or strangulation hazard or poison (i.e. lead) hazard,, anything other than that would be "unregulated." So just like anything else your children may have access to, you need to use some diligence, common sense, and supervision as you see appropriate.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65