Best seat for 3 across...with 2 boosters?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
DS is about to turn 6 (next month) and is asking....no begging...to move into a booster. He is currently harnessed in a RXT in the center of a '11 Traverse. I would really like to keep all 3 littles in the 2nd row so I still have cargo space. A booster in the middle seat is an absolute no go...it simply will not fit.

So my option is to put DD in the middle and put both boys outboard. Not ideal, but better then putting somone in the 3rd row. She is 3.5 and FF in a XTSL. I don't think I can put it in the center and put a booster outboard that he can buckle...and due to drop offs at school, he has to be able to unbuckle.

Would a RA50 Classic puzzle better due to the base? I can get other boosters (or harnessed seat for DD), but at the moment he has a Monterey or a ProBooster waiting for him. I can do a backless for the bigger twin, but I'm not keen on him being in a backless F/T. Plus he's a major car sleeper.

ADS

aeormsby

I've fit a RF Uptown in the center with a Harmony Literider on the driver's side of our Outlook. There was just enough room to get a hand down under the lip of the seat to buckle.

I'd probably try the Roundabout first if she fits in that, our classic MA's always worked great in that center spot and with the base I think it would be easier for buckling the booster.

momtoo3

A FF MyRide would most likely fit. The base is only 11 inches wide and the rest of the seat sits so high that it is awesome next to boosters. I had a Monterey puzzled with the MyRide in Dh's car where nothing else fit, not even a RN. Then a backless booster on the other side of the MyRide. If I took out the backless booster I could get a HBTB, HB evenflo booster and even a PWSG in but I had to buckle the PWSG. I would think a Kiddy CruiserFix would fit next to the MR too because the base on the CruiserFix is pretty narrow but I can't test that out because I got rid of the MR and got a CruiserFix.

Oh and a MyRide and GN puzzle perfectly too if you ever need that combo.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My bet is the MyRide would be way to wide to fit in that spot and allow the access seat to still slide forward. It just eeks past the RXT as it is. I've had a BV in that spot before and IIRC, I can still slide the seat. There are times I have to move someone to the 3rd row so my teen can sit in the 2nd row when we all go somewhere, and I generally just move the booster rider to the 3rd for that trip.

I can borrow a BV and a S4Me from my dd to play with and see what may work. What are some narrower booster options? I'm not a fan of the TB, but may have to get over my issues with it if it will play better then the Monterey.

aeormsby

OK, I didn't think you'd be flipping the passenger side. I know I was able to do that when we had the Uptown in the center (it was when we had family visiting so we were definitely using the 3rd row).

I wonder if something like the Harmony Defender (list says it's only 17" wide) or the Maestro would work in the center with a booster driver's side. The maestro isn't really on a base but it has that 'lip' and is skinnier at the back/base which might help with buckle access.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I tried the Monterey next to the RXT on the 60 portion of my bench, and it's a no go. So I bought a Harmony LBB yesterday. Just for Patrick (6 next month and over 40lbs) to use for going to school and short trips when I need the cargo room. I like the size of it, and he fit it well. My vehicle has the contraption to put on the seat belt to help it fit kids/small adults better, and it does. Plus, I have side curtain airbags. So I'm OK with him using this for this purpose. He had no problem buckling it in the 3rd row, but was unable to buckle on his own in the 2nd row this morning, next to the RXT which is where I need him to be. I really want him to be able to buckle on his own. He can unbuckle fine.

If I get a Roundabout, will it give him more room to access the buckle vs the RXT? What about the SureRide? Right now, his buckle is right next to the RXT and fairly rigid. It moves back and forth, but not side to side.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Did you try the Size 4 Me? If the RA will allow the seat to flip the S4M might as well. It puzzles well and is tall - I really liked it FF. Somewhere I took a bunch of puzzling photos, you should be able to find them via search.

Eta: I agree that MyRide/Monterey might surprise you. I don't *think* it would allow flipping, but it has weird enough properties that it might. May be worth a trip to bru if you have one nearby.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My DD has the S4M for her 2, and I don't like it. :( I liked it well enough to buy the 2 for her, but I wouldn't want to use it on a daily basis. There is ZERO padding under the bum, which I didn't realize when I bought them. I can still try them in terms of 'what fits', but not to actually use. My youngest DD is short and has miles of room in the RXT. She will easily fit in a RA or similar seat for at least 2+ years getting her to 6.

Nearest stores are an hour away, so I will be ordering online.

clmchrissy

I just got an RA50 from Walmart.com for $128.xx they shipped to my store and it got here in two days. I don't have the harmony light rider with me, but I do have a CKek Olli in my van, I can try it on the bench w/ either an Oobr or Xfix if you want (during my lunch)?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I just got an RA50 from Walmart.com for $128.xx they shipped to my store and it got here in two days. I don't have the harmony light rider with me, but I do have a CKek Olli in my van, I can try it on the bench w/ either an Oobr or Xfix if you want (during my lunch)?

That would be great. :) No rush though!

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
The RA50 is my go to seat for DS3 when I need him between my two booster riders. In hubby's Pathfinder Ive got the RA50 center, Harmony dreamtime behind driver and lite rider behind passenger. There's enough room to buckle the boosters easily (though that could certainly differ depending on the vehicle) and the RA works better than the classic MA because it doesn't have the LATCH bars.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
The RA50 is my go to seat for DS3 when I need him between my two booster riders. In hubby's Pathfinder Ive got the RA50 center, Harmony dreamtime behind driver and lite rider behind passenger. There's enough room to buckle the boosters easily (though that could certainly differ depending on the vehicle) and the RA works better than the classic MA because it doesn't have the LATCH bars.

I went ahead and ordered the RA50. Hopefully it'll work!

clmchrissy

This was tight and may not be the best example, both boosters could be buckled in my van though. The Xfix upper half didn't puzzle with the RA50 and I think made it a bit tighter for the Olli.

Attachments

• 3across1.jpg
    3across1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 3across2.jpg
    3across2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 36

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
This was tight and may not be the best example, both boosters could be buckled in my van though. The Xfix upper half didn't puzzle with the RA50 and I think made it a bit tighter for the Olli.

What kind of vehicle was this in?

clmchrissy

2008 Sienna, 3rd row bench. Its hard to tell and I couldn't get in at a good angle, but if both my kids 5.5 & almost 9 were in those seats they could reach the buckles and buckle. The Olli has such high armrest, the Xfix was actually good at the base, just the upper half made the RA50 sit kinda weird.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC