Car Seat Playdate

gsdguenter

I was thinking of inviting LO's classmates over for a car seat check play date. Has anyone ever done this? Think it would be a good idea?

I'd have it at my house and stress that people need to RSVP so I can be prepared. It would be pre-k and k kids. Parents would have to stay to supervise. I'd provide food. I'd have DH stationed at the trampoline to supervise and my mom could help out too. We have 2+ acres land and our property abuts 300 acres of conversation land. We live in the woods so we wouldn't have to worry about kids getting hurt near the road or anything. There's plenty of room inside and out to play.

I wonder if people would think I'm crazy lol. We're trying to be more social and get to know more people.

ADS

MJHY27

I've never thought of a car seat check play date, I'm not a tech though so I wouldn't really be able to offer that service :) Sounds like a good idea and a nice way to meet people, plus be helpful! where abouts are you in NH?

gsdguenter

I'm not sure how many people will take me up on the offer, but I figure if even one car drives away safer ill be happy :)

We live about 30 min west of Portsmouth

tiggercat

Hm. Around here "let me tell you all of the mistakes you are making in the car" isn't likely to win any friends. I make the friends first, then convert them subtly :p

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Playdate? Yes. Offering to help people with car seats? Yes. Combining the two...not so much. I think only humongous car seat nerds (i.e., people on this board) would find that enjoyable.

MJHY27

Ok yes, that area of NH you would have some interested parents I bet. I live in a more rural part of the state and I think it would have less of a turnout just because the population is scarce to begin with! but I can see it happening where you live. I get what the other posters are saying but I think since you are a tech you could somehow make it seem like you are just trying to offer your services to anyone interested and see who shows up. I'd say if they take you up on the offer and want help with their car seats they aren't going to get defensive and you would meet people.

gsdguenter

I was hoping for the feel to be "come play and I can check out your seats" but I get that some people might feel defensive.

I'd hope only people who want help with their seats will come and play, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

ausmommy11

I am new to this site... But I live in central NH. 99% of the people I know don't care about car seats :( My 2 yr 3 month 98th percentile son is still rear facing and so many people try to make me feel like a horrible parent when they see he is rear facing. I always get comments like "I turned my kid at 8 months because its easier and they like it. And nothing bad has happened to them" I highly doubt any one I know would knowingly go to a car seat related thing.

Carolinadaisy

I think the seatcheck and play date should be 2 separate things. If you are wanting to meet people and have a social gathering, just do a play date with a few classmates. If you want to offer a seat check, maybe you could do it at the school? I do think combining the 2 events isn't necessarily going to go over well.

I think the average parent would probably find it a little odd. If you are looking to meet people and build friendships, start there. If you want to improve the seat usage of her classmates, that is wonderful and definitely commendable. However, a carseat check play date probably won't help you build relationships and you will forever be the carseat lady. Not that that is a bad thing, but It's an odd way to start meeting people. It will possible improve usage, but it's not going to improve your social life.

Just my opinion though!

nannykates

I think I would make it more of a play date and then when people ask what you do tell them you are a cpst so if they ever have car seat questions or need help that your their gal. Maybe add something like I do this because so many people don't know their seats are misused and it is really really complicated these days.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC