Question Best ventilation/cooling feature

qax

Hi folks,

We currently have a Summer Prodigy but our 8mo have been more and more refusing to strap in. Our conclusion is that the fabric makes him really hot even if he's only wearing one layer and it's only low to mid 80s outside. He gets soaked and would not stop crying. Once we pull him out of the seat he'd be ok. My guess is that he doesn't want his back touching the soaked and warm cushion but when driving we cannot unstrap him, so we usually stop and take him out of the car to calm him down.

Does anyone else here experience a similar problem?

With summer approaching SoCal here, what other seats provide better cooling or ventilating that at least have some air circulating in the back of the seat?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

ADS

MotoMommaNH

Have you thought about moving LO to a rear-facing convertible? My DS just hated the bucket altogether once he started being able to sit up and support his head well so we moved to a convertible and he was much happier.

Also, not sure if this is what you do, but we'd carry him inside/outside in the bucket and then put it in the car. If you'd like to keep the bucket for now, maybe just leave it installed in the car and carry him out to it and place him in it. So it's cooled off by the A/C from the already started car and he's spending less time laying against the fabric overall. Does that make sense?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
One of my first thought upon viewing the various First Years harnessed car seats (Via, Truefit) was that the huge harness slots and open movement path (for changing slots) would make for great airflow once the infant insert is not in use.

scoutingbear

Hi! I'm also in Southern CA so I know the heat deal. :) My daughter is almost 3 and is still rear facing so we have been through a few summers. Here are some things that work(ed) for us:
-cold water in sippy cup
-cover the carseat with a towel when not in use
-point air conditioning vents up so they flow to the back and cool the rear facing kids down
-window cling sun shades
-use front wind shield reflective sun shade whenever we get out of the car
-whenever possible park in parking structure or inside
-roll windows down when you first turn on a/c, it will help the car cool faster

And, use a convertible seat. Most of them are a little wider, allowing more air flow around the baby.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The "Snugli" branded carseats with temperature-regulating Outlast fabrics might be perfect for your situation. The Snugli All-in-One (based on Evenflo Symphony): http://www.snugli.com/all-in-one-car-seats/

About Outlast: http://www.outlast.com/en/technology/

Good luck! I hope you find something that makes him happier!

Why haven't I heard of this???

Other than the must-use-locking-clip-in-addition-to-lockoffs-when-baseless feature of the Via, I LOVE LOVE the seat. (But really, this old-car driving car gal is not in the least intimidated by locking clips so I don't know why I protest!)

bella_1818

We lived in El Paso, Texas, where summer temps were regularly 115.

Some things that worked for us:
-cracking the windows and using a window shade
-Mommy's Helper car seat shade from Amazon. It looks like a giant reflective shower cap, but kept the car seat buckles cool when not in use.
-Forever Cool from Walgreens. This is a $20 pad slightly thinner than a nickel. We choose to put it between the car seat and DS. It didn't interfere with his harness and we didn't have to loosen his harness to accommodate the forever cool, so we made the parental decision to use it, even though it is a non-crash tested after market product. After we started using it, he no longer arrived at destination with a wet, sweat soaked back. There is a tread on CSO somewhere with pictures, but I'm not sure how to link on my phone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC