Question Best car for teen?

U

Unregistered

My daughter is turning 16 and i really need to start thinking about what car to get her. I want something that is safe, reliable, and has fair fuel economy. I heard that you cant really trust the crash safety rating because they simulate what would happen with an object equal or smaller than itself, is this true...? i also heard you want to get a newer car not older than 10 and you want it to be mid size or larger. I dont know where to start do you think you could give me the top 3 cars that meet these requirments but wouldnt make her embarrassed to drive? i also would like to keep it under $6000 but i will go up to $10000 because she is willing to pay half. Please and thank you!!!

ADS

AK Dad

I want something that is safe, reliable, and has fair fuel economy. I heard that you cant really trust the crash safety rating because they simulate what would happen with an object equal or smaller than itself, is this true...? i also heard you want to get a newer car not older than 10 and you want it to be mid size or larger. I dont know where to start do you think you could give me the top 3 cars that meet these requirments but wouldnt make her embarrassed to drive? i also would like to keep it under $6000 but i will go up to $10000 because she is willing to pay half. Please and thank you!!!

Well, you can trust the crash tests, just understand that weight plays a huge part in occupant protection. When you look at any crash test results that are into a fixed-barrier, that simulates a crash at the same speed into the exact same car as the one being tested. For example, the IIHS tests at 40% and 25% offset into a fixed barrier at 40mph. That correlates to two identical cars hitting each other at 40mph (not 80 mph like many people misunderstand) however, head-on crashes with both vehicles going 40 mph is a quite severe accident none the less.

The reason they test this way is that it would be nearly impossible to test every imaginable combination of vehicles against one another, not because they're trying to hide anything. The IIHS did a great piece about it back in 2009 that I think does an excellent job explaining vehicle weight mismatches in collisions, so I recommend you review that as you're making your choice.
http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr041409.html

Let me think a bit about what I'd personally recommend and I'll post my "top 3" for your price range. In the meantime, check out iihs.org for a place to start looking yourself. I like IIHS over NHTSA because IIHS has a history of "pushing the envelope" in testing rather than just ensuring minimum standards like the NHTSA does. Every time IIHS comes up with a new test, the vehicle manufacturers invariably whine and complain that it's too stringent ... and then magically within a couple of years they all pass it with flying colors.

AK Dad

OK, so here are my Top 3 for you to take a look at with some pro/con:

1) 2006-up VW Jetta. Was an IIHS "Top Safety Pick" (TSP) for 2006, good mid-size weight, and fun car to drive. We owned a diesel one that I loved, but it wouldn't hack the hill we live on in the winter so had to get rid of it. You'd probably have to settle for the 2.5 gas motor version for your budget, but if you happen to find one with the TDI you'll be getting 38city/45highway. Not sure if kids these days think a TDI is cool, but if they're at all interested in energy conservation they will.

2) 2009-up Ford Fusion. 2008 IIHS TSP. Great overall car, based on the Ford Mondeo, which has been beloved in europe for years. Fun to drive, looks good, decent fuel economy.

3) 2006-2008 Subaru Legacy or Outback. 2006 IIHS TSP. Threw this in in case you were interested in AWD (didn't say what part of the country you're in) and/or a wagon.

And lastly, pretty much any Volvo you can get your hands on, although I'm leaving that off since I'm guessing most 16yo girls won't think they're particularly "cool" ;)

After you do some looking around why don't you come back with your "top 3" and we can go from there?

Bolly

Our oldest is 16, he doesn't want to drive until he is 18 though. My DH drives a 1997 Taurus and I have a 2005 Kia Sportage. The idea is he will learn in the Taurus and eventually he will get my Sportage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC