Frontier 85 booster fit for tall skinny kid?

whitneyg

How is the belt fit in booster mode for tall, skinny kids in the Frontier 85? I just got one yesterday and it just seems so darn wide. I can't imagine her being able to reach to buckle it, even in a few years.

I am debating between keeping the FR 85 and hoping it is a good booster fit for her, or saving some money and putting her in a CA 70 FF until she is ready for a dedicated booster that might be a better fit for narrow kids. Boosters are completely foreign territory for me, so I have no idea how to plan this out.

I think she is 38ish inches tall, 14 inches bum to shoulder, 22 inches bum to top of head.

Pics if kids using the FR 85 in booster mode (if any of you use it that way) would be a great help, too, so I can get an idea of how it might work out.

Thanks!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have a pic, but my skinny 7 year old adores her Frontier. It has been comfy for her since she was 2 (harnessed of course, but sometimes as a booster on trips home from the pool from age 4, the fit has been good as a booster), and now using it as a booster, it's her favorite (even over the long-much-loved-by-all-kids Recaro Start), because she has such good leg support. Learning to buckle was only a challenge for the first 5-10 trips, then she got the hang of it (seems to be the pattern for most kids, at about 7 they have long enough arms and enough strength to buckle themselves in this seat).
I'd probably save the money and use the CA if you already have one, though. And save MORE money and get a Frontier 90 when they come out, lol.

CrazyBoysMamma

I think it depends on the car. In my car the fit is not so great for my 4'5", 61 pound 10 year old. I don't remember it being as bad when we tested it in my old car. Of course, that could be because he was 2 inches shorter and 5 pounds heavier?

christineka

My 10 year old fits great in the frontier as booster and can even buckle it in a spot that's hard for buckling other boosters. I think it's because the arm rests are so high up that there's plenty of room. The one downside to it is that it must be in upright mode for use as booster. Most other boosters can recline a little.

Phineasmama

I tried DD1 in it as a booster, she's 6 and skinny, and it fit just fine but the shoulder belt guide didn't work with my sucky seat belts :(

Athena

Yes, I would say it can fit tall, skinny booster aged kids well. When I tried my approx. 50", approx. 46 pound 6.5yo, the fit was probably acceptable, although not ideal, but I'm hoping it's much better by the time she outgrows the harness (probably within the next year or so). In addition, she is about as skinny as they come with narrow shoulders, so I would think most slim, tall kids would fit, once they get to booster age 6-7. On the other hand, as frustrating as it can be, I've realized you just don't really know until you get there.

I'm confused as to why you're wondering if it will fit her as a booster when she's only 38" now. So she's about 2 years old, right? I don't think it's possible to really know when it's that many years away. How much does she weigh? Just wondering how skinny, although that will probably change in those years anyway. If you already have the other seat and are happy with it, then that sounds like a good way to go. My DDs loves their Frontiers, but they were bigger and older when moving into them. If you don't need it now, you might want to wait to see the 90.

Athena

OP's siggy has a Nov 2009 b-day, so around 3.5 actually.

Thanks. So she's only average height? I looked at this because I have tall skinny kids, but I know nothing about average sized kid fit. OP, maybe you should change the title to get more informative responses.

whitneyg

Thanks. So she's only average height? I looked at this because I have tall skinny kids, but I know nothing about average sized kid fit. OP, maybe you should change the title to get more informative responses.

She was measured again recently and she is 39", so about 75th percentile for height and 59th for weight. I am tall and her dad is 6'6", so we are expecting her to be long and lean like we are and like she has been so far. I am just trying to decide if I should keep her in a FR 85, thinking it would work as a booster for her, or put her back in the RXT, thinking that a narrower dedicated booster would be a better fit for her down the road. She is very squirrelly, so harnessing for a long time will be a good thing for her. I want to keep the FR 85, but would use the RXT to save on back seat space if that was a better option. Sorry to be confusing. My head is spinning trying to figure out how to shuffle seats around, which ones to buy, how to save money in the long run, etc.

Athena

She was measured again recently and she is 39", so about 75th percentile for height and 59th for weight.

Thanks for clarifying. My kids are quite a bit taller (and skinnier) than that, so their fit probably won't help you. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck!

CrazyBoysMamma

I think it depends on the car. In my car the fit is not so great for my 4'5", 61 pound 10 year old. I don't remember it being as bad when we tested it in my old car. Of course, that could be because he was 2 inches shorter and 5 pounds heavier?

So, I totally lied, I measured him and he's 4'8"!!! :eek: Gah! So, he's way super skinny, maybe that's why the fit is strange now?

MommyShannon

My almost 8 year old just started using it in booster mode. She has been using dedicated boosters primarily the last 1.5 years. She's 50.5" and 55 lbs. She hasn't outgrown the harness. The fit is good and she buckles fine. I can get a pic tomorrow. I wouldn't worry too much about the booster fit though. Its a wonderful, tall harnessed seat that my kids sleep really well in. I don't love the seatbelt install so if I were you I might consider returning the 85 and getting a 90.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC