Average torso height?

RJB78

CPST Instructor
I finally got around to measuring my kids' torso heights for the first time!

My 4 yr, 4 month year old has a torso of 15", and my 22 month old has a torso of 13".

What are the average torso heights of kids those ages? I have a feeling my oldest is on the upper end, because she wears shirts two to three sizes bigger than her age (size small in big girls' section) because everything else is too short. :p

Just curious.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Don't think there's any such thing. Not really sure if Torso height even applies as much as we all thought it did anyhow.

My 8 yr old DS has a 17.5 inch torso. And yet he is right even with the 17 inch tall top slots on a MA, and 2 inches BELOW the 18 inch top slot of a Radian, and is dead even with the 16.5 inch second to top slots in the Husky. How this can all be true is beyond me.

Kimberly

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yeah, I agree with Kimberley, I don't think there's such a thing as average torso height. But 15" sounds kind of on the smaller side since the top usable slots on an AO or EB 3in1 are 15.5", so based on her measurement she's still fit a seat many kids outgrow by height by age 3. ;)

At 2.5yrs old dd's torso height was 13.5" and I think she's pretty average. I know it's taller now, but I'm not sure what it is... maybe I should measure it. :thumbsup: She just moved into the top slots of her MA, and has about 1.5" before being even with the 2nd from top slots of the Radian.

Ds on the other hand, has a very long torso. I haven't measured it, but he's even with the top slots on the SS1 at 11mos old, and has a couple inches of head room left. He's right even with the 3rd slots on the Radian which are 12.5" according to SKJP info on the seat. (I haven't measured the slot height myself...)

My 3yr old and my 11mo old would be on the same slots if they were both rf'ing in the Radian - crazy, huh? I think dd's torso is only 2" taller than ds's when it comes to fit of car seats...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Their measurements seem pretty "average". My 26 month old has a torso of 14", but she's dead-even with the second-from-top slots in the Marathon, and her head is about 2 inches from the top fo the shell. She has a big head :p

RJB78

CPST Instructor
But 15" sounds kind of on the smaller side since the top usable slots on an AO or EB 3in1 are 15.5", so based on her measurement she's still fit a seat many kids outgrow by height by age 3.

That's funny because she had outgrown her Omega at 3 1/4 years! We moved her into the Radian and the Regent.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC