so sad- horrible accident in my area

jaemom

I'm in WNY and there was a horrible accident in the area this morning. Three adults and seven or eight children were riding in a mazda minivan meant to hold 7 or 8 people. They couldn't tell exacly how many seats it had. A 1 month old baby and 2 of the adults died. Some of the other children are in critical condition. They are calling for area blood donors. It appears that many of them were not restrained or not properly restrained. Even the police chief that was interviewed on the news said he can't believe in this day and age that families still travel with their children like that. The police thought it looked like the driver fell asleep, as they were traveling back from Florida to NY. Those poor children. :(

ADS

jjordan

That is horrible. I found a link in case anyone is interested. According to this article, there were 7 kids and 3 adults in the van. The police captain is quoted as saying "We have more children than we have car seat devices." :(

3 ladybugs

How sad! :(

Can I also say, how sad it was for them to get from Florida to NY and no one noticed that the car was overloaded like that? I drive on I-95 to Florida (from New Jersey) at least once a year (well twice as there and back) and VERY rarely do I get all the way down there not seeing 1 police car pass me. Don't all states have mandatory child restraint laws? That they can pull you over if you don't have children restrained properly?

Prayers for the families and all involved.

jjordan

How sad! :(

Can I also say, how sad it was for them to get from Florida to NY and no one noticed that the car was overloaded like that? I drive on I-95 to Florida (from New Jersey) at least once a year (well twice as there and back) and VERY rarely do I get all the way down there not seeing 1 police car pass me. Don't all states have mandatory child restraint laws? That they can pull you over if you don't have children restrained properly?

Prayers for the families and all involved.

I can't imagine them getting to FL without seeing police. But if the kids were on the floor of the van then it might not have been obvious that there were more people than seatbelts. Or maybe the back windows were tinted and it was hard to see how many people were in there.

Suzibeck

So sad. I don't know about other places but in MI you are allowed to have unrestrained occupants if you have more occupants than the vehicle is designed to carry. One of my dd's friends has 10 people in her family and they regularly ride in an 8 passenger van. The school police officer turns a blind eye to parents picking up 5 or 6 kids with a sedan. When I asked him about it he said that that may be their only vehicle and most live close by anyway. So WALK then!

HaileysMommy

I cannot remember where I heard this but someone once told me that some hispanic families do not use restraint devices because they believe that God will protect them. By using a restraint they are basically saying that they don't trust God to take care of them. Whether or not this is accurate I do not know but it could explain why there were so many people in the car and no one restrained properly. Still sad regardless.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
In my state it is legal to have unrestrained passengers if all seating positions are taken. I'm not sure that would apply if some seating positions had been removed. I know it doesn't apply if you have a broken seatbelt or something; it's the driver's responsibility to ensure all safety restraints are in working order.

I think it's only legal to transport unrestrained children if all seating positions are occupied by other children. So kids get priority access to seating positions.

And in many states, seat belt offenses are not "primary" anyway; another infraction must be observed in order to pull someone over.

PikkuMyy

:(

I'm in the area too and have been spreading word about the need for blood donations on FB. Having lived abroad the first half my life, I'm not able to donate. I wish I could! Those poor children are right across the street from me at the Children's hospital and there's nothing I can do for them. *cry*

3 ladybugs

Is there any movement around trying to get it to be a primary offense for a child not to be restrained? I understand that adults will be adults, but certainly we can make sure children are restrained.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Is there any movement around trying to get it to be a primary offense for a child not to be restrained? I understand that adults will be adults, but certainly we can make sure children are restrained.

I imagine it depends on the state. In Oregon and Washington it's a primary offense. Adult seat belt mis-use / non-use is, too.

jaemom

They said on the news last night they had taken the middle seat out and most of the kids were believed to have been riding on the floor when the driver fell asleep. Three are still in critical condition, but expected to survive. Awesome for anyone who was able to give blood. I cannot either, but I know some of my FB friends did. The oldest child was 13. The youngest survivor was 2. I don't know what the laws in NY are for that. I wouldn't have even thought it was allowed.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They said on the news last night they had taken the middle seat out and most of the kids were believed to have been riding on the floor when the driver fell asleep. Three are still in critical condition, but expected to survive. Awesome for anyone who was able to give blood. I cannot either, but I know some of my FB friends did. The oldest child was 13. The youngest survivor was 2. I don't know what the laws in NY are for that. I wouldn't have even thought it was allowed.

Pretty sure the only exceptions I've read about in NY are for cabs, I know they have pretty strict child restraint laws otherwise, right?

The problem is that people think they won't be the ones to crash.

jjordan

Pretty sure the only exceptions I've read about in NY are for cabs, I know they have pretty strict child restraint laws otherwise, right?

The problem is that people think they won't be the ones to crash.

Law is proper use, along with harness to 4 years old or 40 pounds, whichever comes first, and booster to 8th birthday. I don't know offhand the seatbelt law or laws about carrying more passengers than you have seatbelts (because honestly it would never occur to me to allow anyone to NOT wear a seatbelt or to carry more passengers than seatbelts!).

jaemom

now I'm angry. The local paper had a long follow up story on this accident today. Several of the people are still in intensve care. It said how they were part of the large Latino population in the area, a large loving family and how much spport has been pouring out of the area for family. That is all really great. BUT, there was not ONE mention of the dangers/risks of driving an overloaded vehicle or using proper child restraints. NOT ONE! The media could have used this horrible tragedy to educate the entire community to help prevent this from happening again- and they skipped over that entire issue. UGH!

TeenaMarie

Do hispanics really think that it's telling God you don't trust?

I've seen the lack of restraints/over filling the car/taking out a seat thing from my uncles brother and his wife. They have six kids seven and under and when they come camping they take out the third row of their suburban to haul their quad. Last summer they put the second and third in the front seat buckled together, the first and the dad sit in the back on the ground next to the quad, and the youngest three on the middle seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't understand what religion or ethnicity has to do with this. There are people of many different faiths/ethnicities who believe in divine intervention. Much more often, though, misuse/non-use is a matter of not understanding the importance, rather than a religious belief.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
There are some cultural barriers to car seat use which we are taught about in CPST class.

My understanding was that the "God will take care of us" issue was more of a concern in middle-eastern cultures.

In Latin America, most families do not use car seats unless the child is "special needs" so that's a cultural barrier which has to be handled when trying to work with Latin American immigrants. The use of a child restraint is sometimes viewed as embarrassing, not just to the child but to the parents.

This particular situation, however, is one which is likely not heavily influenced by ethnic background. LOTS of families of all backgrounds seem to think it's OK to let kids lay on the floor on long trips because they perceive that the children will be happier or more comfortable on the road trip. When I was a child, although I was expected to wear my seat belt at all times, I was allowed to loosen the center lap belt in the back of the car so that I could lay down across the back seat with the belt around my middle. My mom only knew that "seat belts must be used" and she was a safety FREAK (that's where I get it) and insisted that I couldn't take it off, but she had absolutely no concept whatsoever about how it was supposed to protect me - or she wouldn't have allowed me to mis-use it that way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC