Report from ABC Kids Show

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I c/p this from BC, so if you read this there, this is old news for you :). As you may or may not know, the ABC Kids Show is a major show where small retailers go to buy their stock. Everyone is there. Word from the Chicco rep is that there will no longer be a JPMA show, so this is *the* show from now on. Good for manufacturers and it explains why they've opened the show up to big box stores like BRU this year. It went from a 3 day show last year (I think--it may have only been 2 days) to 4 days this year to 5 days next year. Not only was it an entire lower floor of the convention center, but it was upstairs as well this year. Gigantic! I spent 5.5 hours there Friday, including about 20 minutes for lunch, and still didn't get to Peg Perego or Jane.

I forgot my camera, but it didn't really matter. The manufacturers are really anal about anyone without a press badge taking pics, so I wasn't able to take any anyways. I did sneak one with my phone at the Britax booth, but keep in mind my phone takes the world's worst pictures, lol.

I started at Clek. They have a bunch of jackets from which to choose for the Olli. It's a cool seat and I like how the armrests actually come up high enough to be useful for the child. If you don't know much about the Clek, you should read up on it. It's a backless LATCH booster that's been available in Canada for about a year now. www.magnaclek.com I didn't do much more than just chit chat with the sales rep.

----------
Next was SafeGuard. The Go (link follows) has been modified slightly.

·headrest has been redesigned and is beefier with more padding. The wings don't slide up and down so easily any more and have a stiffer backing. The padding behind the head is nicer.

• min. weight limit was reduced to 22 lbs.
  • height limit was raised a bit. I measured the top "slot" to be about 1/2"-1" higher than the old version, so about 17.5"-18".
  • 3 crotch strap positions and they're stair-stepped under the base for a more custom-fit on the crotch strap length
  • shell is tapered in back for better access to LATCH anchors
  • harness adjuster buttons are plastic: makes them cooler in the summer and smoother to pull

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/murphydog77/NewGo.jpg

----------
Compass had some changes to their booster and infant seats. Compass has been acquired by Learning Curve, which also has The First Years and Lamaze under them.

Boosters

• will eventually rename B510; I didn't ask if it was going away altogether or not and didn't ask about the B505
  • B530: supposedly has a headrest designed to fit vehicle headrests that are angled forward, but I didn't see that it looked that different than the B510; the belt guides looked more open than the B510; I measured up to the belt guides, but forgot to write it down--it's taller than the B510, so it puts it into competition with the Parkway/Monarch now

Infant Seat

• redesigned handle: has a spot on each side for emergency information (great for preemies)
  • cover completely removable from the front without having to remove harness

New, super cool convertible seat called the True Fit (picture attached)

• rf 5-35 lbs., ff to 65 lbs.
  • It's a tall seat to accommodate those bigger kids, so how do you get a tall seat to install in small cars? Why you remove the headrest! Optional removable headrest for 5-22 lbs. rf , mandatory for 22-35 lbs. rf.
  • sculpted back and bottom to fit sculpted back seats; no base
  • lockoffs for rf and ff belt paths
  • harness adjusts by lifting knob (like their infant seat; no rethreading; harness is replaceable)
  • 10" bottom slots, 18" top slots
  • 3 crotch strap positions
  • entirely covered in EPP foam
  • cover completely removes from the front without needing to remove harness
  • everything on this seat adjusts by sliding something; it's very easy to use
  • $179 (1st quarter of next year, I believe)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/murphydog77/truefit.jpg

----------
Recaro

I played with the Signo (sig-no) since I saw the Como earlier this week.

• 17.75" top slots; the infinite adjust knob was *very* difficult to use--after about 4 full twists, my arm was tired and it was completely aching with that pushed-my-muscle-too-far ache after I adjusted the head wings to the top position (not that you'd do it that often unless you're using the seat for multiple children)
  • head wings measure 7.25" in back, 9" up front
  • literature says that the bars on the sides of the seat are for the LATCH straps, but the sales *manager* I talked with didn't understand me when I asked if that's what they were for; the seats they had on display were prototypes and she said they weren't available until November (thought I saw that some were already being shipped?). Anyway, eventually they will have some kind of swivel feature on the LATCH connectors so that there won't be any need to switch them between rf and ff, like there is on the MA.

My only comment on the Como, since there seem to be plenty out there already from owners of the seat, is that the harness strap covers are way overkill. Those suckers are thicker than any aftermarket harness covers I've ever seen.

----------
Nothing new at the Britax booth and no one would talk to me, so I took this pic of a new RA cover:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/murphydog77/prettyra.jpg

I didn't see the Advocate. It's quite possible it was there, but the salespeople didn't seem to think I existed, so no one pointed it out to me and I didn't see it in the sea of beige seats they had out.

----------
Chicco

The only new thing at Chicco is that the booster was sent back to be redesigned. The rep said it should be ready in the 1st quarter of next year. She said that the shoulder belt guides were just too narrow for the US market. Also, they're doing a stroller promotion on their web site: they're giving away 1 stroller a day for 30 days! www.chiccousa.com

The KeyFit 22 will be phased out by the end of 2009 probably. She pointed out some visual differences between the 22 and the 30 that makes it easier to spot them. The KF 30 has:

• a tag/emblem near the baby's feet that says "KeyFit 30" :D
  • open shoulder belt guides on the infant seat (vs. fabric covered on the 22)
  • a plastic visor extension on the canopy
  • and again, the KF 30 seat is structurally different than the KF 22

----------
Combi

The Centre is unchanged EXCEPT for now coming with the optional antirebound bar now being included on all seats. As they run out of stock, they are shipping the seats with the bar, so we'll be seeing them now.

Ah, the Zeus. They admit it's a good concept but the rf weight limit bugs them too. All they're trying to do is get some money out of it to dump back into development to bump it up to 30 lbs. They already have preorders for it. The salesguy asked my opinion and I hemmed and hawed and he understood.

• top slots: 14"

----------
Maxi Cosi

The Mico infant seat is out now. The handle is reminiscent of the Combi Centre handle, though the rep didn't know if it needed to be in the up position in the vehicle or down. Pretty colors! But, an infant seat is an infant seat is an infant seat.

Rodi booster seat

• not that impressed: it seems a bit flimsy
  • converts to a backless booster
  • EPP foam

Rodi XR booster seat (http://www.maxi-cosi.com/maxicosi/productdetail.aspx?id=14&language=de-en )

• this was more impressive, sturdier
  • the torso wings were width-adjustable to some extent, the head wings were beefier
  • EPP foam
  • doesn't convert to backless booster, but it does recline

I forgot to write down the measurement for the belt guide on the Rodi XR, but it was unimpressive. I think it was around 19".

----------
Sunshine Kids

I saved the best for last. The Monterey booster (link follows).

looks like the Monarch, but . . .

• torso wings are width-adjustable
  • height adjusts to 21.5"
  • it's deep for long legs
  • deep cupholders
  • converts to backless
  • LATCH! (though not rigid)
  • EPS foam in head, armrests, torso
  • $129
  • release date in February

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/murphydog77/montereyflyer2.jpg

ADS

hsjwmom

I know everyone else is going crazy about the Compass seat and the SK booster, but what stood out to me was... I love that RA cover! It is really pretty! Now I'm wondering if the new girly Regent may be something entirely new. I'm willing to wait and see :D

I am interested in the Compass, but after all the hoopla about the Recaro, I think I'll be curbing my enthusiasm! Of course, I'm glad so many people have checked out the Recaro, because it made it an easy decision to get another Regent!

mom2boys

On the como, was teh 17.75 inch top slots with the infant padding on the bottom, or without? I thought it was supposed to be 19" like the como?

As far as the adjust knob being hard to adjust, I think the boulevard is hard to adjust as well, especially when you are near the top.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, it's a Compass ;). There won't be any 3-across with Compass seats. I think it will fit a 65 lb. child much more easily than a Marathon.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I measured by pressing down on the padding, without the infant padding. I twisted the dial all the way up until it started clicking. All of the Signos they had on display were pre-production models, so it's possible changes could still be made.

crunchierthanthou

just thinking about that true fit- do you think the cover will wear or fade to the extent that the headrest will look funny when you start using it? Not that I really expect anyone to be able to answer, but something to think about...

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Next year, we need to try to get you a press pass as the official Car-Seat.org representative! ;)

mom2boys

I am suprised that the Signo has only a 17.75" top height. It must have changed prior to production. Their website states this seat has a higher back than the Como by an inch, so why would it have a lower top harness height than the Como by an inch. I really hope this was a protype that has changed in production. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

mom2boys

it will be intresting to see what sells, there are so many choices now it drives my and parents crazy

Yes I agree (I have spent the last 5-6 months hunting for a new seat, and I am still not 100% glad with my choices)! But, I still have yet to find the perfect seat. ;)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I am hoping that the true fit (the price seemed decent :thumbsup:) and the Montery come to Canada! They look like great seats!

I also thought the new RA cover was really cute :love:

mtnharmony

The True Fit looks awesome. If seems like it would hold a bigger child because the slots are higher. What do you think woul dhold a bigger child, a britax (not regent), como/signo, or true fit, or ??

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think the True Fit would. It's wide without being overwhelming because it has the extra padding. I think Compass is generally pretty innovative in their designs and this seat shows that. I do wish it had more side impact protection, but it is a fairly deep seat as well and has generous EPS foam.

kiramay

I need to have more kids!

I can't wait to see the True Fit and Monterey in person. I was set on the BV for our next baby, but now I like the TrueFit! Argh! Too many choices!

becca011906

Senior Community Member
LATCH booster for $130 i will be waiting till Feb before getting abby a spare, she has a turbo but it's a pain to buckle. and we really wanted on that can be latch, i might even replace ds parkway if it's that great! I'm really looking forward to the monterey

scatterbunny

Oooohhh, that Sunshine Kids Monterey looks nice! If it's deeper than the Monarch but otherwise very similar, it's perfect for our needs. We are leaning towards another Compass booster (either another B510 or a B530, after hearing it is taller), or a Graco Air booster, or maybe even a *gulp* Start for the awesome adjustability and leg support.

And the True Fit looks fabulous! Big enough that even Hayley would have growing room, PLUS leg comfort.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC