Can you use LATCH and seat belt?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If the LATCH fails, then it will have at least done the job of precrash positioning so yes, the seatbelt WOULD be a good backup system. There's no real world data yet showing that using both systems is harmful (as much as I've tapdanced around saying it in the past, making up reasons to fill in the blanks of 'why not?' left in the manuals...).

:whistle:

If the LATCH anchors failed, the seatbelt should still hold. I'm not disputing that there may be issues with what I'm doing and that I should probably stop, but I don't see how you can say that the belt would also unbuckle itself just because the LATCH anchors did.

If the LATCH anchors were defective and broke away, I'd be very glad to have belted it too. I don't see how there could be any worse situation than nothing at all holding the car seat in. However, if there are risks associated with doing this, I have to weigh that against the unlikely event that it would be a benefit.

ADS

Elee

Consumer Reports explained it this way:

• Never install a car seat using both the LATCH strap and the vehicle safety belt. This restricts the belts from absorbing crash energy.

O

onlydarksets

I've posted this explanation in other threads, so I'll just cut and paste it here.

Problem with the seat belt:

The seatbelt sat at an unlocked angle against the car seat base. The female end seatbelt could not be twisted or shortened with a belt shortening clip as it was encased with a plastic sleeve.

Therefore this rock solid car seat was not actually installed in this car at all.

This particular example is not the only time I have seen this kind of thing happen, it just sticks in my mind because it was the first time I saw it.

HTH,

Kimberly

I'm trying to follow this, as I need to upgrade our car seats, but I do not understand how the seatbelt not being secured (by twisting or using a clip) means that the car seat is "not actually installed in this car at all". Could you help me understand this?

Thanks!

ThreeBeans

I'm trying to follow this, as I need to upgrade our car seats, but I do not understand how the seatbelt not being secured (by twisting or using a clip) means that the car seat is "not actually installed in this car at all". Could you help me understand this?

Thanks!

She's referring to a specific type of seatbelt. Some seatbelts lock at the buckle with a locking latchplate. The belts need to be perfectly parallel for the seat belt to lock, otherwise they can slide loose. If the belt path of the carseat forces the buckle to lie in an unnatural position, then the locking latchplate is NOT locked.

A good cure for that in some seats is to twist the female buckle so that it lies in a lockable position, but since this car's buckle stalks had plastic trim around them, that couldn't be done.

O

onlydarksets

OK, I see. I interpreted the post I quoted as being a global explanation for why LATCH + seatbelt will not work. In fact, it was a description of why a particular LATCH + seatbelt installation was, in fact, not secured at all. Thanks for the clarification!

That being the case, it sounds like the only explanation is that the two systems used together may impact the ability of either one to adequately absorb the force of impact, and, because manufacturers don't perform tests with both systems use simultaneously, it's impossible to say that it's safer, and, in fact, it may be less safe. Hence the "do you want to make your child a crash test dummy" comments.

Is that about right?

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC