Anyone with a Toyota Venza or Volvo XC60, looking for recs

3forme

Hi everyone,

I'm enjoying reading posts, thanks for your insight and wisdom.

I've seen some posts about the above vehicles and am looking for advice.

We need a new 2nd vehicle. We already have a minivan so we were hoping for a smaller SUV. We have 3 children and would most likely use the van for transporting all 3 but there will be times when we all would want to travel in the other car.

I'd really like another 3 row vehicle but my husband doesn't really want one.

We would have 1 child in a FF frontier 85 and then the other 2 in booster seats, high back. I have booster questions too but I'll post that elsewhere.

Any potential issues with either of these vehicles with car seats/booster seats or otherwise? I've already looked at informedforlife.com and saw that both 2013 models are in the top 10% for safety. I also don't mind buying a model that is 2011, 2012 either.

Also, if you can recommend any other small SUV or mid size (even with 3 rows like a toyota highlander) that is really great, I can add those to the mix.

Thank you!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hi and welcome! :) I have a 2010 XC60, so I'm not sure how it compares to a newer model, but I do really like it. I have a Frontier 85 and a Clek Oobr (highback booster) in it right now. I think with the right combination of seats (like maybe trying some floor models in the vehicle at Babies R Us), 3 seats would work. Volvos have protruding headrests that can sometimes interfere with car seats and boosters, which is why I have the Frontier 85 (since the Frontier's headwings fit around the headrest since the shell sits lower than the headrest) and the Oobr (which has a recline mode that when used with LATCH is great for protruding headrests). I don't know if I could fit another booster in between the 2 that I currently have, but I definitely think the right combo of seats could work. :) Good luck with your search and post any of the booster questions that you might have is a great idea! The folks here would be happy to answer them!

Once you decide on a vehicle, if you wanted to share your kiddos ages, weights, and general height info (like maybe shirt sizes to give an idea of their torso heights), you might get some ideas for alternate car seats that could puzzle well in a 3 across situation if that would help. :)

3forme

HI Bree,

Thanks for the reply. I would've gotten back sooner but I've been so sick with allergies!

I'm glad that you like your XC60, I've seen reviews that the back seat isn't that big and legroom can be cramped. I think, like with carseats, we are just going to have to try some cars out for size.

I do wonder which combination would work. Here is some info on my kids

DC1 is 9, 51#, 49", 17.5" torso
DC2 is 7, 50#, 48". 17." torso, very skinny
DC3 is 5, 39#, 41" 15" torso

If I do need to get new booster seats, I would prefer not to spend too much money since my original plan would be to move boosters back and forth from our other vehicle. We already have frontier boosters. I'm reckoning that we couldn't do 3 britax across in the Volvo since they are so wide.

Also, could the oldest 2 be ready for backless boosters? I like the idea of the side impact protection. Perhaps I could get one backless and put in the middle and one high back and keep the frontier 85 harnessed on each side.

Once I have some ideas about other boosters, I'll try them out for size at a babiesrus before buying.

Again, many thanks. I need to post a similar question in the other forum about spare seats for my mom's car.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hi 3for me! :) I think you'll find that most people on this board would be comfortable with a 9 year old in a backless booster full time, and a number would also be comfortable with a 7 year old full time, too (I personally like 7 year olds in highbacks for the physical reminder of keeping in place, but a backless booster is totally an option, too!). You are definitely right about 3 Frontiers not working, unless the Volvo has undergone a big redesign recently. :) My XC 60 has built in backless boosters in the outboard seat (though if you only have 1 in a backless booster, I prefer your idea of the backless booster in the middle; the headrest there I believe should adjust high enough to accommodate an adult so it should easily handle a backless booster). But knowing about the built in boosters down the line might be useful as your kids get older, although it might be worthwhile to use regular backless anyway so you have seats with you if you suddenly have to switch cars, like if the car breaks down. Anyway, I was just tossing out some ideas with the Volvo.

One narrow backless is the Bubble Bum booster. The belt guides on it may be a little bit of a pain to deal with, but it is very narrow. I think the back of the Diono Santa Fe is narrow, so it might fit in between a booster and a Frontier, and the Harmony Youth booster/Literider is also narrow.

Good luck with the car shopping, and I hope you get some more ideas by researching at Car-Seat.org! :)

Last edited:

marge234

I don't have either, but am looking at these cars too. Based on personal considerations, and even though it's more expensive, I am leaning toward the XC60.

Both Venza and XC60 have top IIHS and NHTSA safety ratings, are top picks on informedforlife.org. Volvo XC60 also got a "good" on the IIHS's new small overlap test. The Venza hasn't been tested, but other Toyotas--including Camry on which Venza is based--did not score well.

In case that helps break a tie. If it at all matters to you or DH, the Volvo is more fun to drive. OTOH, while my anecdotal checking around hasn't made me scared to buy one, Toyota (even with recent coverup, getting busted for acceleration problems) has great reliability numbers.

If he's at all open to considering a 3 row, you might have him look at the Enclave/Acadia. Friends DH really likes it. They have three. Once two of the three kids are out of seats, they'll use the Enclave for family car and trade van for something smaller. GL.

3forme

Bree, thank you for your advice, I still like the idea of the high back booster full time and will probably keep them in a high back until they outgrow it. I really love the idea that there are booster seats built into the volvo but agree with you that it's always good to have spare seats.

With that in mind, I looked at your recs for narrow boosters and loved that the Harmony youth is so inexpensive so I ordered one from walmart. We need an extra booster to have around anyway since we are starting to transport other kids now. This has also answered some of my post in the other forum about my family wanting to have seats for when we visit.

Marge234, thank you for your post. It looks like we've done with same research with these vehicles. For me, I really want the Volvo, even with some of its issues here and there, I know it's safe. We tend to keep our cars for a long time too and maybe down the road, one of our kids could use it. For my husband, it's the money, a car payment would be much higher.

I've posed the idea about getting a bigger vehicle and then trading our van later on, even suggesting a hybrid highlander, he would like a hybrid but not a big one, so he refused. One big car at a time is enough.

I just have to keep doing my convincing. Good luck to you.

CPS Darren, Thank you for the link to the blog. I've read through and there are very good points being made.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC