Keyfit or Onboard 35 (or other infant seat)?

ElfJewel

We thought we had decided on a Graco Snugride 30 for the new baby, but with after reading about all the problems with the buckles I think we should get something else.

We've been looking at the Onboard 35 and the Keyfit 30 (DH wants to spend $200 or less), but would be willing to look at other seats too. The baby will go in the captains chair in my Odyssey and DH's Expedition, so no size considerations. And our babies are usually long and skinny and will go into our Radians when it outgrows the bucket so it doesn't need to last forever.

So what is everyone's favorite infant seat?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Those are my top two favorites, unless you want to go into the $$$$$$$ range and get a Maxi Cosi Prezi or a Cybex Anton 2.

The Onboard or Onboard Air will last longer for a tall baby. I personally think the premium base and the air cushions are worth paying extra for to get the Onboard Air instead of the regular Onboard, but that's personal preference (and budget).

ElfJewel

I've been looking at both the air and regular versions of the Onboard. Is the premium base easier to install? Both version cost less than the Keyfit we were looking at so I could get either.

We probably won't use it until it is outgrown, I usually babywear but we like to be able to take the seat out when it isn't convenient to wear the baby (restaurants etc) for the first 6 months or so. After that we don't need a bucket, but may use it longer if we like it. DS will be outgrowing his Radians/turning FF when he turns 6 anyway so he can use our currently unused Maestros and baby can have the Radians after that.

Kegracin

The Onboard or Onboard Air will last longer for a tall baby. I personally think the premium base and the air cushions are worth paying extra for to get the Onboard Air instead of the regular Onboard, but that's personal preference (and budget).

I second this DD still fit in the OB air at 13m when I tried her in the store she out grew the keyfit 30 around 9ish months. I probably would have gotten the Onboard Air if it would have been out when I was looking for an infant seat....PS Darren has a nice review on the blog if you haven't already checked it out.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yes, the premium base is easier to install. But I wouldn't say the regular base is hard, unless you are using an older vehicle which doesn't have locking seat belts. The premium base has a very nice, easy to use lock-off. That can also eliminate the "tilting" problem that happens with some seats in some vehicles which is a result of a locking retractor pulling up on one side of the seat. The premium base also has 3 recline settings, but the regular only has one (and it's non-obvious; people tend to overlook the recline boot on the basic base and think they need a pool noodle when they may not).

Keep in mind that the bases are interchangeable, so if you get the basic Onboard and plan to buy a 2nd base you can buy a "premium" base and use the basic one for a different car, perhaps one which it doesn't get taken out of as often or perhaps use the premium base in a vehicle that's harder to get a good install in.

We have an older pickup truck which did not have locking seat belts when my daughter was little (we've more recently replaced the belts). We continued to use the infant seat in the pickup LONG after she'd transitioned to convertibles in the other cars, because the base was by far the easiest thing to install in there. She outgrew it by height at around 16-18 months old, I'd say.

ElfJewel

Thanks. We decided on (and ordered) the Onboard Air :jive: I tried to convince him to get the Aton, but um, yeah he won't go for the $$$.

ElfJewel

Does anyone know the lifespan of the Onboard? The seat came today and the manual says the expiration date is stamped on the shell, but it is just the manuf date. All it says on the website is 6-8 years. The seat is already 3 years old :mad: (manuf 5/10) and we plan to have at least one more baby, so I'm trying to decide if I should return it.

I really like it though. It fits E's baby :) (the straps are a little wide but below the shoulder)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Unless you got it for a clearance price, I would return it.
I believe it's 6 years in December. I'm sure it's stamped on there somewhere but it may be really hard to find.

ElfJewel

Ok in better light I found where it says 2016. So it's Dec? That might be long enough. Maybe I should keep it and use that as an excuse to get the next baby something else if we don't have another one as soon as we plan ;) It was $135 instead of $169, so I thought it was a pretty good price just didn't expect 3 yrs old, maybe 1.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yeah, it would expire at the end of 2016.

Where did you get it from? I'd probably return it if I could, unless you're really set on a particular color. $135 is a good price but not a clearance price. Since it's halfway to its expiration, I'd expect it to be more like half off (say, $80 or $90).

You can get the plain grey (Silverleaf) one for $75 right now directly from Safety 1st, and if you also buy the Click It stroller with it you can get that for half off the sale price (so like $20).

Or, maybe if you call and gripe about it being half-way to expiration they'll do a price adjustment for you instead of taking it as a return. It just kind of depends on where you got it and what their customer service is like.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC