Looking again..

SnoGurl

I was looking last month for a new seat, but had decided to hold out for as long as I could. Unfortunatly S. is growing like a week and I definitly need a new seat sooner then later.

S. will be 2 the end of May, is around 20 lbs (flucuates between 19.5-20.5), and is 30". She hasn't gained any weight since Octoberish, but is gaining inches like crazy (or maybe she was improperly measured? No idea, but really, it's about time she grew, I think she's finally on the growth chart!). I notcied the Tribute is on sale at CT again, which is spurring this post, however, I'm not convinced it's a long term answer? Does it travel well? I may pick one up anyway for traveling, if so. I just about had a heart attack today at CT-- their signage said the Tribute went to 29" rearfacing-- couldn't figure out what good that would do anybody!

As she will be outgrowing her Scenera sooner, rather then later, it seems, I need one seat that will fit well in my 2012 RAV4 and a 2013 Nissan Sentra. I'm assuming I can fit just about whatever I want in my Rav, but I'm not really sure what a good fit in the Sentra will be.

I would LOVE to buy a seat to get us to booster time, that would be a real bonus. As would no re-thread harness, as being able to put BFF's LO in the seat without a large ordeal would be awesome.

So, recap: almost 2, rearface for a good time yet, in a RAV and Sentra, and no re-thread a bonus, under $200 would be phenomenal. I head today that Canadian Tire will be adding 6-7 new SKUs soon, does anyone know what those will be? I have a CT and a Target to shop at-- BRU/Wal-Mart/Sears an hour+ away.

Thank you for your patience with me!!

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't know what the new seats might be at CT but you've got me curious now!

The Tribute is a good travel seat I've heard, but haven't tried one personally. People tend to prefer it over the Scenera and it lasts longer rear-facing. It has slightly less longevity forward facing though, but only slightly. Like the Scenera it does require one angle of install and at age two that might be too reclined.

As always we suggest trying a seat in a vehicle before buying as a number of things could affect a good install. Wonky seat belt geometry, plastic hinges...it's sometimes hard to predict. I can't think of any incompatibilities off the top of my head though with those two vehicles.

The seats with a no-rethread harness are the Complete Air, True Fit, the Britax seats, Evenflo Triumph, and Evenflo Symphony. The True Fit is the tallest but has a 35lb weight limit, which clearly is not a problem for your daughter, and is often on sale or available somewhere for just under $200. The Britax seats are around $300+. The Complete Air is really tall forward-facing but has a 36" height limit for rear-facing. It requires 22lbs to install at the more upright angle and is quite a space hog when fully reclined. It's frequently on sale for $150 and reg price $199. The Evenflo seats have a 37" standing height limit and are really wide. They too require a single angle to be installed at but the internal shape tends to make an older child be more upright within the shell. The Triumph has a knob on the side to adjust the harness tightness that in some vehicles with scooped seats can jam up against the seat and cause problems.

CT has the True Fit and Complete Air. Target has...I'm really not sure as ours isn't open yet. True Fit I think. I might start with that one, I like that seat. I don't *personally* like the harness on the Evenflo seats but others love them.

Good luck, I hope that helps a bit!

SnoGurl

I don't know what the new seats might be at CT but you've got me curious now!

The Tribute is a good travel seat I've heard, but haven't tried one personally. People tend to prefer it over the Scenera and it lasts longer rear-facing. It has slightly less longevity forward facing though, but only slightly. Like the Scenera it does require one angle of install and at age two that might be too reclined.

As always we suggest trying a seat in a vehicle before buying as a number of things could affect a good install. Wonky seat belt geometry, plastic hinges...it's sometimes hard to predict. I can't think of any incompatibilities off the top of my head though with those two vehicles.

The seats with a no-rethread harness are the Complete Air, True Fit, the Britax seats, Evenflo Triumph, and Evenflo Symphony. The True Fit is the tallest but has a 35lb weight limit, which clearly is not a problem for your daughter, and is often on sale or available somewhere for just under $200. The Britax seats are around $300+. The Complete Air is really tall forward-facing but has a 36" height limit for rear-facing. It requires 22lbs to install at the more upright angle and is quite a space hog when fully reclined. It's frequently on sale for $150 and reg price $199. The Evenflo seats have a 37" standing height limit and are really wide. They too require a single angle to be installed at but the internal shape tends to make an older child be more upright within the shell. The Triumph has a knob on the side to adjust the harness tightness that in some vehicles with scooped seats can jam up against the seat and cause problems.

CT has the True Fit and Complete Air. Target has...I'm really not sure as ours isn't open yet. True Fit I think. I might start with that one, I like that seat. I don't *personally* like the harness on the Evenflo seats but others love them.

Good luck, I hope that helps a bit!

My mom works at CT and gave me the heads up on the new seats when I spoke to her today. She's not sure which ones yet, but said we should be seeing them in the next little while as they amp up their Target competitiveness.

Thank you very much for the list of no re-thread seats. I've been trying to put my own list together but keep getting confused. This helps narrow the selection down, and I was eyeing up the True Fit today, but buying without trying (or at least a good return policy) is really what stopped me from purchasing last month, and is making me hesitate again. I'll have to figure this out.

Thanks!

biddyk8

We bought the Tribute last time it was on sale. Dd is 29" and just about on the 2nd harness slot, so she has lots of room yet. We got it as a spare/travel seat. We may fly with it in June undecided as of yet. But it's super light and fits into a umbrella stroller for the airport.

Front to back it takes up less room than our peg convertible in the car and Dr seems to not care about it having less padding. The harness is and easy one to change even though it is rethread.

We love the peg with the no rethread harness its around $350.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Front to back it takes up less room than our peg convertible in the car and Dr seems to not care about it having less padding. The harness is and easy one to change even though it is rethread.

We love the peg with the no rethread harness its around $350.

Good to know about how much room it takes up - and I completely forgot about it! I haven't actually seen it in person yet (nowhere anywhere near here sells it).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC