Evenflo SecureKid

morgaine108

My son (just turned 5) was harnessed in a Nautilus. The buckle was too close to his body (pretty much under him) and was hurting him so I switched it to a booster. Got an ok fit once I adjusted it a little, but now I am having some maturity issues with him in the booster....leaning forward, pulling the belt over, immediately unbuckling himself every time I park the car, plus he falls asleep in the car alot and booster is just not holding him up well and without harness he falls forward alot.

So week before last I was in an mild-moderate accident. The only way it doesn't qualify as a mild accident was because the front passenger tire was blown out so van wasn't drivable. No one hurt, Nautilus was unoccupied but LATCHED in..... with the problems I was already having with it plus the question about the safety of it, I am done with it. But, my son is big for 5. So I thought my only real harness options are the Frontier (don't really want to spend that much but I will if it's my only option) and I think the Evenflo Maestro or Securekid. I tried him out in a Maestro in the store and he fit it well, some room at the crotch, plenty of height left. But then I saw that the harness only goes up to 50 lbs (boo) and he is like 48.5-49 lbs. Have not seen a SecureKid in the store, but looks similar to a Maestro......the stats look about the same.....anyone with experience with these two seats? Is the fit similar? How about in a Sienna captains chair? Are there any other options I am overlooking? 400 worth the extra cost?

Thanks in advance!

ADS

clmchrissy

My close to 5.5 year old son (50 lbs, stocky) used a Secure Kid 300 for a bit. I used it in my van a few times, 08 Sienna, capt seat and it installed easily with seatbelt. I really, really liked this seat! The crotch strap was long enough, only complaint was the harness straps are kinda close to the neck.

tracee877

We just got the SecureKid 400 and really like it! Have not used as a booster since my DS is only 4, but I could try him in it to see if you want.:)

morgaine108

We just got the SecureKid 400 and really like it! Have not used as a booster since my DS is only 4, but I could try him in it to see if you want.:)

That would be awesome! Just mostly wanting to know how the belt fit is (I dunno, might be hard to judge if you have a smaller 4 yo). I think it would probably be good height wise for awhile since it looks pretty tall. I may have to buy him a bigger booster eventually anyhow just knowing how things have gone with my older son who is 9, but tall and thin and not close to passing 5 steps. Alot of the boosters that fit kids when they are small seem to become uncomfortable/not substantial enough when they get bigger. Which I guess is kind of an argument for the Frontier LOL.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Is insurance paying? You might ask them if they'll pay for a Nautilus but let you "upgrade" to something more expensive like the Frontier 85.

The Secure Kid and Nautilus have about the same harness height. How much growing room does he have in the Nautilus height-wise?

morgaine108

He had quite a bit of height left in the Nautilus....it's still in the van which is at the repair facility. I have submitted information to the insurance company (hers) with pictures of the seats, the info sticker on the bottom, pics of the manual saying they have to be replaced, and either receipt or print screens of the prices of the seats. I was under the impression that they might just send me a check for them, but I don't know how it works for sure. Was thinking about checking on that cause it's been a few days since I submitted them. I had 3 seats in the car, a Scenera, a Harmony v6 and the Nautilus.

Phineasmama

Just FYI, the Frontier does have a LOT of room in the seat area, so it's great if you are concerned about boy parts being squished :cool:

morgaine108

I might see if I can find a Frontier in store anywhere. With that new one coming out I might be able to get a deal between the insurance and that, if I like the way it fits him. I was thinking we might go to a booster when he starts Kindy in the fall but he's not giving me a lot of confidence in his ability to sit properly in it. Would be easier for pick up but since they will both be in the same school now I can just walk up and get both of them and hopefully won't have to worry about having other sleepy kids in the car. Frontier kind of intimidates me because I had a really hard time installing one (in a VW bug...will always remember that one!) when they had first come out and I was taking the CPST class, but I have heard they are easier now.

henrietta

I love our Evenflo Secure Kid 300. It's a great seat for the money. It fits wonderfully as a booster, but it's not as easy/intuitive to use that way as a regular high back booster, like the Graco Turbo booster. If you use it everyday yourself as a booster, you'll get used to it. But you'd want to send a different booster w/a friend or grandma for occasional use. It would last long enough as a high back booster for a shorter torsoed/small child, that they could go into a no back afterwards...but a high-back can be bought for cheap that will still fit anyways.

It's pretty easy to install w/LATCH or seatbelt. Plus, it can latched in booster mode.

My 4.5 yr old is 43" tall and 38 lbs, wears a size 5/6 shirt and is on the top slots w/room to grow...my 7.5 yr old has outgrown the top slots, but it still fits him as a booster, which we have used it as occasionally for him.

hths

morgaine108

Woo hoo! Got a 250. check today from the ins company! I think I am going to go with the Frontier, I think with a captain's chair and plenty of room the install shouldn't be so bad and it should last him till he doesn't need a booster anymore. I will just use the money for that and then buy a new Harmony v6 and Scenera myself I think. Really love the V6 for my 9 year old, comfy and fits him great (and on clearance I think at Walmart!).

morgaine108

Stupid phone.

Order from Amazon and use the Amazon prime trial for free 2 day shipping.

I am a Prime member already so woo hoo. I am excited. I ordered a Monterey for my older son too. He had a Harmony v6 and it fit him really really well, and I was going to get another, but I showed him the Monterey and he liked it better.....he is 9 and has Aspergers and cares not that the other kids don't ride in carseats anymore :love: At least something cool came out of this wreck. I now have 6 carseats sitting in my garage that are either expired or have been in a car accident. There is a store here that recycles them I think, or I may check with law enforcement....I know I have donated expired seats for training before.

MommyShannon

Yay! He will love the Frontier! Depending on his weight, you probably need to install with the seatbelt. In our cars, the long belt path works best. Its a learning process but not bad once you've done it. Just watch the videos before trying. If the Monterrey belt guide doesn't work right for you, call Diono. They've made changes lately and they can send you a different part that might work better. Some already have the new version, some don't. Just if the belt sticks at first, don't worry too much, just call them.

Phineasmama

If you have a local Safe Kids coalition you can check with them too about the old seats :) mine takes seats for training and they also do recycling events

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC