Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

Which would you choose?

A friend just asked to borrow a car seat to pick up a family with a 3 year old from the airport. I asked for the child's height/weight, but if I don't get that information, which of my seats would you pick? I will install the seat and give the driver a quick run-down on proper use. I already have one in mind, but thought it might be interesting (and won't hurt!) to hear what other people would do.

Options:
    Recaro Prosport (harnessed)
    Britax Boulevard (classic)
    Radian 80
    Radian XTSL
    Britax Boulevard 70CS
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Which would you choose?

I would say a radian as I have no knowledge of the recaro.

ETA, not knowing the weight, it would make it iffy for the safe stop. So my vote would be the recaro (as it is big enough for your 6 year old).
    Shalan - CRST - I
    DS#1 10yr, 54in & 62lbs. Affix.
    DS#2 7yr, 44in & 41lbs. Diono Cambria.
    DS#3 5yr, 42in & 38lbs. FF in Radian Premier and Complete Air.

Riding in a 2015 Caravan and a 2013 Corolla.

Recaro, although I don't know anything about how it installs. I'm just thinking theoretically it should be big enough and I highly doubt the family of the three year old would be planning to have a RF seat available.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    Ann, mom to 3 big brothers and a baby girl:
    DS1 - Aug 2006, 80 lb, 56", incognitos
    DS2 - May 2008, 77 lb, 51.5", Vivo or NBB
    DS3 - June 2011, 46 lb, 43", FF in FR85 or booster training
    DD - May 2015, 19 lb, 29", ) Snugride 30

Boulevard 70 CS- it's unlikely that a 3 year old would have outgrown it FF by height or weight, easy to use and the CS would probably make it more likely that the harness is snug enough.

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Classic Boulevard. It is so easy to use properly/has a smooth pull harness and you could easily teach them how to install it in case it had to be moved if the car broke down or whatever. The child still might fit RF if they wanted and they would probably fit FF. And it has a taller shell than the BLVD70CS (my second choice). I think most likely to be used properly is very important in this situation.

ETA: At least I think the Classic is taller? If not, the BLVD70CS
    DS1&2: Driving, DS3: 5 Stepping, DS4: 12/09 Parkway SGL

Moderator - CPS Technician

Yeah, I pretty much ruled out Radians because of the SafeStop issue.

I was planning on ProSport, partly because it's currently in dh's car (which is rarely used with the kids), so we wouldn't really miss it. But I hadn't thought about the CS being helpful. So maybe I should lend that seat and have ds use the ProSport for a while. Also being able to easily adjust harness height while the seat is installed would be nice.

The classic BV does come after the BV70 because it's easier to adjust harness height and tightness (my classic BV has the ratcheting harness). And incidentally the harness height is taller in the BV70 than in the classic BV, but it would take a very tall 3 year old to have outgrown either, so that's not really figuring in to my reasoning.

Thanks for the replies!
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava