VENT! 2 yr old in booster

julia94115

The dad of my "charge" just dropped him off at my place....
front seat of a Smart car in a Parkway!

I opened up the car door door and immediately said, "Hey, not only is this illegal, it is EXTREMELY unsafe!"
To which he replied, "Oh he's just fine. It's fine." And I repeated it again.

This is the same dad that put the two year old in a harnessed seat and his four year old on the floor of the Smart car.

The kid is 28 months old, doesn't say a word, is in PT for low tone and other issues.

Ugh- I am always going around and around with this dad on car seat safety. He is just not interested and has his own opinions.
So this is just a vent because there is nothing else I can do.
:crying:

ADS

lovemy2kidstw

This is a situation where you can give information but people aren't always gonna listen. The best thing you can so is say an extra prayer for the children & hope they don't get into an accident :(

julia94115

I'd probably call the police anonymously after he drives away when picking the child up. :whistle:

Ugh- I don't know if I'd have the guts to do that. He won't be picking up anyway. I usually do all of the pick ups and drop offs.

Today was an exception.

He has gotten pulled over before when the 2 yr old was in a five point in the Smart car. The officer thought it was illegal to have a child that young in the front seat. But after the officer called it in he found out it was actually legal if there was no back seat.

jjordan

I'm guessing that if the parent thinks it's okay for a kid to ride on the floor of a car, you're not going to have any luck convincing him that a 2 year old is unsafe in a booster. :(

creideamh

Some of my relatives do this. I've done everything I can, so I just try not to think about it and don't visit often. :p :(

julia94115

It makes me so irritated not only because of how unsafe it is, but also because of how much money I have spent aiming to keep their two kids as safe as possible while in my car.

I've spend hundreds of dollars to get a three across in my vehicle, and each time someone outgrows a seat I am forced to do an entirely new three across combination spending lots of money on children whose parent thinks it's ok to just put them on the floor.....

Sorry- I am really on a rant, huh? Thanks for listening/reading.

MorgieBear'sMama

Some people just don't understand no matter what :( some of my first threads here were just like this. My sil thought it was appropriate to put her infant in the bucket (expired, bought from a garage sale) ff, sitting on top of the harness then a large blanket so the buckles didn't poke into his back. When he moved into a convertible we went to Walmart and bought "the most expensive seat there" (her words, it was an uptown). I helped her dh install it and the baby then rode with only the chest clip fastened. It sucks to see someone seem.to not care for a child that you do care about.

Vicky

The dad of my "charge" just dropped him off at my place....
front seat of a Smart car in a Parkway!

I opened up the car door door and immediately said, "Hey, not only is this illegal, it is EXTREMELY unsafe!"
To which he replied, "Oh he's just fine. It's fine." And I repeated it again.

This is the same dad that put the two year old in a harnessed seat and his four year old on the floor of the Smart car.

The kid is 28 months old, doesn't say a word, is in PT for low tone and other
:crying:

He put his 28/month old in a booster seat. He puts his four uear old on the floor. How.
...? Why.....?

julia94115

Wonderful. 3 cars, but won't buy proper car seats for his children.

Worse--- they HAVE proper seats for the kids! I BOUGHT THEM!!!

I bought 2 Parkway SGLs for the other two cars for the 5.5 year old and handed down the two outgrown Nautliuses to the two year. (They stopped rear facing at 12 mos and the dad continuously laughs at me when I RF the two year old.)

Don't get me started on how I can practically pull the entire car seat out of the car WHILE "BUCKLED" in!!

lovemy2kidstw

At least the PW usually fits scarily well on small kids. He is SAFer than being unrestrained completely. I just don't understand people like that. They have enough $$ to buy anything they want but won't for their kids.

soph's mom

I was thinking why on earth he bought nice seats like the pw but couldn't care less about proper usage til she said she bought them... Ugh...

Most people like that buy old, expired, sunbleached seats and go...

julia94115

At least the PW usually fits scarily well on small kids. He is SAFer than being unrestrained completely. I just don't understand people like that. They have enough $$ to buy anything they want but won't for their kids.

Yep- I didn't want to say it but he "looked" pretty well restrained in the seat. I've seen much worse fits in kids and seats that were legal.

Yeah, it's not a money thing. They drive a new Mercedes SUV and a newer Audi wagon.

I think it's more laziness than anything. He just didn't want to switch the car seats out of the cars this morning.

soph's mom

I'm not mom of the year or anything... My little dog got loose in the neighborhood this weekend and i grabbed my 2.5 year old daughter who was in the process of getting dressed... She just had a tshirt and socks on... And ran out of the door. I did take the extra 45 seconds to put her in the rf radian and strap her in before I left even tho I was just in our calm neighborhood... I just don't get
it...

ETA- that sounds worse than it was... It was a very oversized tee... Nothing was visible and she did have a blanket over her just in case... My point was there's no excuse...

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC