Question Which height limit/rule do you use?

Which height rule do you use?

• 1 inch rule (head one in from the top of the shell for RF) or available harness height is left

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Exact height limit specified for the seat RF or FF, even if there is harness/head room left

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • It depends on the seat.

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

P1ally

Which height limit or rule do you go by? The 1 inch rule or specific height limit? (Like the 36in height limit in the CCO) Poll to follow.

ADS

canadiangie

Numerical.

There are so many seat choices these days that I can't think of a reason why I'd have to exceed a rf height limit.

Five years ago it was a very different story up here, and to keep kids rf past the bare mins (or close to) we focused more on the 1 inch rule.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I go by the limit stated in the manual unless a company's CPST rep has provided (in writing) permission to use a different limit.

P1ally

Ok 2 scenarios.

1. 2yo in a CCO. (Height limit is 36" I believe) She's 36 inches tall, 23lbs, and still has 4 inches above her head. She's all legs. (If these proportions are insane, forgive me, haven't had a 2yo in forever). Wwyd? New seat?

2. 6yo, 45lbs, 53 inches in a nautilus, using the harness. (Height limit for the harness is 52in). Still has one full harness slot left. Is it outgrown or not?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I voted for the stated height limit, however I'm not a real stickler. If I have a 36" kid with 4 inches above her head in a Coccoro, I would consider that "at" the limit and not "above" the limit. I'm not going to measure her every day, but I'm going to move her to a different seat as soon as I know for sure that she's above 36". And depending on the age of the child, if I didn't have another seat available I might consider making a different choice, weighing the real risks of forward facing too young vs. the theoretical risks of ignoring a standing height limit when there's plenty of "room" for rear facing in the seat.

April

I voted for the stated height limit, however I'm not a real stickler. If I have a 36" kid with 4 inches above her head in a Coccoro, I would consider that "at" the limit and not "above" the limit. I'm not going to measure her every day, but I'm going to move her to a different seat as soon as I know for sure that she's above 36". And depending on the age of the child, if I didn't have another seat available I might consider making a different choice, weighing the real risks of forward facing too young vs. the theoretical risks of ignoring a standing height limit when there's plenty of "room" for rear facing in the seat.

Exactly this, although I voted depends on the seat. For me it also depends on if we are talking about my choices for my own kids vs what I would tell someone as a tech.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brianna

Stated height limit for RF, shoulders below harness for FF and good belt fit for booster. I've read discussions on stated height limits for RF, but I can't think of a good reason to follow them for FF.

tiggercat

I follow manufacturer's directions. So for a Radian, I will turn my son at 44in, or 1.5in from top, whichever comes first.

I used to be ok exceeding them, but now that manufacturers seem to be strictly enforcing them, and there are a variety of options for taller kids, I can't see a reason to go against the manufacturer's directions.

However, I rarely measure my own kids heights, and I am not concerned about slightly exceeding them.

If a parent comes into a clinic with a child over the numerical limit but under the 1in rule, I educate and they make the choice. For example, I've had 34in kids come in in RF old style marathons (32in limit). I am cool with a parent chosing to exceed that limit, kwim?

For forward facing seats, I typically go by shoulders/ears because my kids are long torsoed and will never hit a standing height limit first.

For boosters, I go by belt fit.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

tiggercat

Ok 2 scenarios.

1. 2yo in a CCO. (Height limit is 36" I believe) She's 36 inches tall, 23lbs, and still has 4 inches above her head. She's all legs. (If these proportions are insane, forgive me, haven't had a 2yo in forever). Wwyd? New seat?

2. 6yo, 45lbs, 53 inches in a nautilus, using the harness. (Height limit for the harness is 52in). Still has one full harness slot left. Is it outgrown or not?

That would be one ridiculously short torsoed kid in the Nauti, no? My 7yo is 52in and her shoulders are quite a bit above the THS of a Frontier.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
That would be one ridiculously short torsoed kid in the Nauti, no? My 7yo is 52in and her shoulders are quite a bit above the THS of a Frontier.

My 6y/o is 45lbs and still has one harness slot to go in the nauti (he's on the third from the bottom). He's no where near 52". And his torso is shorter than average.

christineka

My son is 10 and around 55 inches tall. He fits height-wise in the Headwise, so he should fit in the nautilus as well. He also outgrew the cosco hbb harness by weight with .5 inch to go in harness height.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC