Very minor parking lot accident - Replacement necessary?

emabry

Our Rav4 was backed into in the parking lot of Walmart tonight. There are some scratches and paint on the rear corner of my vehicle and the lady who hit me, her bumper was quite dented in from the corner of my car.

My 3 month old son was strapped into his Chicco Keyfit 30 when we were hit. I was actually out of the vehicle (standing right next to it) and the car was in park. It hardly even woke my son up. The other car could not have been going more that 3-5 MPH when it hit our stationary parked vehicle.

Does the seat and base need to be replaced? I feel like I have hit potholes that have jarred the car more than this did.

If the seat and base do have to be replaced, and insurance covers it, would I be able to allow my inlaws to use the base in their car? He would only be riding in it occasionally... Or is that just stupid to use something that was replaced because its damaged? (I am leaning toward the latter but it's tempting)

ADS

beetlemama

I wouldn't. I parked on the streets of Manhattan and I'm sure my car got dinged more times than that without my knowledge. There are a few scrapes and scratches, especially on the bumpers, from that time, but I assumed that none of it was hard enough to affect the carseats.

aeormsby

I wouldn't worry either. Both my DH and I were in similar 'accidents' last year and I didn't replace any of our seats.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I always advise parents to replace, because I wasn't there.

But my dad backed into my Suburban full of car seats once and broke his tail light on my bumper and I didn't even think about replacing. I'd be surprised if my Suburban was even shaken and I know it gets bumped around more than that driving up and down the gravel road to get to my dad's house.

So my answers for "what should I do?" and "what would you do?" are two different answers. I've run into too many situations where an accident was described as "minor" and then you find out that people in the cars had seat belt bruises and other signs that the impact was a whole lot more than "normal driving" impacts. This doesn't sound like that situation, but it's just made me hesitant to ever say "Sure, go ahead, the seat is fine" if I wasn't there and didn't observe the accident myself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC