Does this car exist ?

KatieO

Does a car like this exist outside of my dreams?
I’m going to need a new car. My husband and I just found out we’re expecting twins. Surprise!

We have an 8.5 month old daughter.

I’m 5’6” DH is 6’ our daughter is long for her age 95th percentile last appointment

I’m hoping to find a crossover or small SUV that has the following features
• 7 passenger
• 2nd row passenger has captain style chairs
• All 2nd and 3rd row passenger seats have LATCH
• Doesn’t look “boxy” on the outside.

Price is not an issue.
At this point I’m not too picky about car seats, all though if y’all have suggestions that will make loading and unloading 3 babies easier please feel free to suggest them.

ADS

MommyShannon

Congrats! I'm sure its not want you want to hear, but I'd look at the newer model Honda Odyssey or older model Siennas. The Ody has 3 very useable 2nd row seats so you could easily have all 3 babies there. That would let you fold down the 3rd row to have TONS of storage for strollers, groceries, and even to change diapers. It has top tethers in all 6 back seats which will be important in 3-4 years when they are ff. it has 5 sets of LATCH! You will love opening sliding doors with a remote while wrangling kids. It was hard for me to make the jump to mini vans (bought a bigger car for #2 and gave in to a van with #3 and still love it with #4.

If that's too pricey, the older 8pax Siennas also had 3 useable 2nd row seats but not as many tethers. I'm not sure how many LATCH.

crunchierthanthou

no. :sorry!:

You can get LATCH in most positions with the Pilot (Tether anchor for all seats), but it's boxy and doesn't have captain's chairs. The Acura MDX also has TAs for all seats and isn't as boxy, but again- no captain's chairs option.

You can get LATCH in all positions plus captain's chairs with the Odyssey, but it's not an SUV.

You can get captain's chairs in the larger GM crossovers, but the 3rd row only has one TA (center position).

However, I'd read up on the changes coming to LATCH labeling and weight limits. It will make it unusable in some cases. The TAs are really what you need to focus on.

gagenivy

The GMC Acadia? I drove one and was ready to buy. The only draw back was the year I was looking to purchase had bad reviews. I don't know if it changed for newer models.

Keeks64

The GMC Acadia? I drove one and was ready to buy. The only draw back was the year I was looking to purchase had bad reviews. I don't know if it changed for newer models.

Yeah the higher end Acadia model has captain chairs & one TA in the 3rd row centre

canadiangie

So will you have three rear facing kids for the next while? Your oldest will only be about 15 months when the twins arrive, correct?

How are you hoping to configure your three kids within a vehicle? Are you sure you want a rear facer in a 3rd row? (It's perfectly safe to do so, but will it be convenient for you?

Worry less about LATCH and focus more on tether anchors, by the way. Tether anchors are far more important. :)

Also, is there a stroller in the mix? If so, which one? What seat is your 8 month old riding in? What seats will the babies be coming home in?

mirandaall123

The small SUV's are not very good at hauling 3 kiddos full time, unless u don't plan on hauling a double stroller, or go grocery shopping the hatch space is so small. Also the 3rd row is not car seat friendly imo no latch and only one center tether. I had a Acadia for 1 year and then bought a odyssey, and I'm in love.

Bolly

I need the same except I don't mind not having LATCH in all positions, I do need more than 3 Top Tether locations preferably in 2 positions in the 3rd row which seems to be rare to non-existent right now....

JCsMomma

I think the Pilot is a great choice for three kids, and the second row is really three-across friendly... Which would be my personal preference with three young ones who can't buckle yet. My signature pic is the prior generation Pilot with three-across (two of which are pretty wide seats) and the newest generation is even a bit roomier if that gives you an idea.

I got a minivan when I was expecting #3 and it was great, but then I decided I'd rather have an SUV and bought the Pilot. Of course, then I got pregnant with #4 and just bought another minivan! Three kids is definitely doable in an SUV (and some here do it fine with 4 as well!) but for me the van became much more a necessity at the 4 kid mark. And even right now while we are waiting for DS2 to arrive, I am once again remembering all the convenience that comes with a minivan. You might be set on an SUV and it might work perfectly for you, but from someone who really didn't want a minivan and had to be convinced to look at them, I'd recommend the same to you.

Good luck, and congrats on your impending arrival!

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

I’m hoping to find a crossover or small SUV that has the following features
• 7 passenger
• Doesn’t look “boxy” on the outside.

It certainly would be nice if there was something that had all of those features, but there isn't currently :(

My suggestion, besides the ones already mentioned, would be to look at the new Dodge Durango. It is a 7 passenger with the bench in the 2nd row, and a 6 passenger if you choose the optional captains chairs in the 2nd row. It has lower anchors in the outboard two seats of the 2nd row and top tether anchors in all rear seating positions. It certainly is not a boxy vehicle at all (I have a 2012 :) ). I get compliments on mine all the time. I have three kids myself and have found the Durango to be accommodating for our family (I downgraded from a Suburban for gas mileage savings). I can still fit my big beast of a double jogging stroller behind the 3rd row when I need to. Here's a link to an album where I have photos of the inside of my Durango. I am 5'5 and my husband is 5'10 and we haven't had any problems with room when we had two kids rear facing. Oh and looking at the photos you'll notice I have four seats in mine. I carpool with a neighbor's son so 3 days a week I have four kids in it. https://picasaweb.google.com/112512...authkey=Gv1sRgCOvUjKms1sWN7QE&feat=directlink

I need the same except I don't mind not having LATCH in all positions, I do need more than 3 Top Tether locations preferably in 2 positions in the 3rd row which seems to be rare to non-existent right now....

The only two vehicles I know of that have top tethers in all rear seating positions (including the 3rd row) are the Pilot and the Durango.

KatieO

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I look into them all

Unfortunately between colds, teething, and bad weather I haven't had much chance to look into cars.

I haven't even thought of strollers yet. Anyone know of a good triple stroller?

Our daughter is in a coccoro combi right now but we're thinking of switching just because for me it's a little bit of a hassle to buckle up.

Was looking at Gracos but now with twins coming not sure which would be the best seats.

I'm still learning about all this stuff LATCH and tethers etc.

I'm not completely opposed to a minivan I'm just not sure I'd be comfortable driving one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC