Real life RF limits

Chris

OK, I am super confused. I am trying to find a new RF seat for DS who just turned three so that his blvd that he has nearly outgrown can get passed down to the new baby.

In real life, if we follow all of the rules, which seat will last us longest RF by height? (This is going in a Grand Caravan, seatbelt install which works well for all three seats)

Foonf
RXT
Mysize70

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In real life, following all rules, ignoring weight limits, the Graco Size4Me/MySize70//Headwise (same shell, mostly same features, different names) will last longest by height. Of any seat on the market. Period.

Chris

In real life, following all rules, ignoring weight limits, the Graco Size4Me/MySize70//Headwise (same shell, mostly same features, different names) will last longest by height. Of any seat on the market. Period.

Thanks! That is the seat I have sitting in a box in my living room, but I fear using it and running into harness issues, plus it feels so cheap/plasticky compared to the others, LOL. That is the drawback of using/playing with the big heavy seats. Everything else starts to feel wimpy!

Phineasmama

How heavy is your child? And what is the setup in your van, do you have captains chairs or a short bench in the 2nd row?

Any of those seats will work, but the mySize/Headwise by far has the LEAST amount of leg room, especially if you have the super sloped captains chairs like I do.

Chris

He is 32lbs so we will likely hit height limits well before weight limits on any seat (except a truefit). He will be in the Driver's side captain's chair to start with but will eventually move back to the third row. He doesn't have much legroom in the mysize70, which makes me lean towards the radian, but he also doesn't seem to care about the legroom. His legs are all scrunched up in his blvd and he has never complained once!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Radians really don't give that much more leg room than the S4M/MS70 anyway when we're talking about using them on those super-sloped seats... Not that I've found anyway. And, my kids were always totally cool frogging their legs up- even my long-legged eldest, when she was 5 1/2.

AK Dad

Which seat would come in second place between the Radian and the Foonf??

Radian, simply because they both (for some reason that still nobody will explain to us) have stated standing-height limits for RFing. 43" for Foonf, 44" for Radian. Foonf obviously for weight, but would have to be a very specific situation to need 50lbs vs the 45lbs of the Radian.

Stelvis

Radian, simply because they both (for some reason that still nobody will explain to us) have stated standing-height limits for RFing. 43" for Foonf, 44" for Radian. Foonf obviously for weight, but would have to be a very specific situation to need 50lbs vs the 45lbs of the Radian.

Except if you have a long-torsoed child who, like my DS, would've outgrown the Radian by the 1.5" rule around 41" anyway. He would've lasted slightly longer in the Foonf.

MaKoski

My girls have Radians and when they are in the captains chairs they put their legs over the sides of the seat so they have tons of leg room(even for a 6 yr old) I'm not sure how that would work with other carseats that have high sides.

KatieGrace

Except if you have a long-torsoed child who, like my DS, would've outgrown the Radian by the 1.5" rule around 41" anyway. He would've lasted slightly longer in the Foonf.

Hmm. My son does have a long torso. This just can't be an easy decision, can it?? lol

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Anyone else like seats that provide rebound control? Like Radians and Britax and Foonf and True Fit? That's one of my criteria, personally (just seems like since the data we have say RF to two is safe, should we be more like Sweden for kids bigger than that RF? Are the minor facial/skull injuries from rebound that we see in tiny RF babies likely to be worse in big preschoolers RF without rebound control? Just pondering...)

AK Dad

Anyone else like seats that provide rebound control? Like Radians and Britax and Foonf and True Fit? That's one of my criteria, personally (just seems like since the data we have say RF to two is safe, should we be more like Sweden for kids bigger than that RF? Are the minor facial/skull injuries from rebound that we see in tiny RF babies likely to be worse in big preschoolers RF without rebound control? Just pondering...)

Yep! I'd be a very happy Tech if more manufacturers would at least make it optional. I assume like always it's a matter of testing cost vs. return in the marketplace. We as consumers though can push that just by purchasing the seats that do allow it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's a thing for me. I'm happy to hear from Chicco that their seat passes the canadian rebound standard- that's enough for me to feel confident, having read their standard.

Stelvis

Hmm. My son does have a long torso. This just can't be an easy decision, can it?? lol

If he still fits in the Boulevard 70 at 3, his torso isn't that super long. DS outgrew the Boulevard shortly after 2. So either seat should get you past age 4.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

Yes. I would expect the risk to be greater for a taller, heavier child. The same reason top tethers are more essential for older kids when they are forward facing, despite the trend to limit their use to smaller kids.

Now, I don't know if the risk is very significant at all, because rear-facing is so safe inherently. Of course, if you're doing everything to minimize any possible risk, I would think that features like anti-rebound and side impact cushions would also be a part of that effort!

nataliem257

Have there been instances of skull injuries due to rebound? If that's been documented it might become more of a priority for me. I never imagined hitting a soft seat back regardless of the crash force causing any real serious damage (I was imagining worse case scenario of busted lip or broken nose). If its more serious than that I might be more likely to take the time to tether in other cars besides our main car.

jacqui276

Have there been instances of skull injuries due to rebound? If that's been documented it might become more of a priority for me. I never imagined hitting a soft seat back regardless of the crash force causing any real serious damage (I was imagining worse case scenario of busted lip or broken nose). If its more serious than that I might be more likely to take the time to tether in other cars besides our main car.

I'm not sure of studies or documented evidence but if you hit a soft seat with enough force it doesn't feel so soft anymore. I was in an accident last year and me and DH both had concussions from our heads hitting the head rest at a pretty good speed. DS was in an infant seat with some rebound control (handle in upright position) and had no injuries.

I don't know about skull fractures being caused from hitting the seat, but with enough force I see a bleed being possible.

Jeni-GAcpst

Ditto! My daughter was about 40-41" standing when she was less than 1" from the top of a radian. She hit 40lbs 2-3 months earlier. A Foonf would have lasted her longer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC