Whoa! Ford manual -- LATCH & Seatbelt installation!

Mae

I'm cruising through the Ford Manual (2010 Expedition) to find out if I can lock the seatbelt in booster mode (anybody know? I can't find it).

Then, I find this:

ScreenShot2013-04-11at125103PM_zpsed8b7abf.png

ScreenShot2013-04-11at125426PM_zps6a1f1cac.png

Whaaaaat?

ADS

creideamh

As long as the car seat manufacturer allows it as well, which I think only a couple do (Combi and someone else? and supposedly Clek now FF...) There's a thread about it somewhere around here.

Don't know the answer to the booster locking question in Fords, but unless you really really have to, I wouldn't. U of Michigan Transportation Institute? studied it and found it could lead to submarining.

Mae

Don't know the answer to the booster locking question in Fords, but unless you really really have to, I wouldn't. U of Michigan Transportation Institute? studied it and found it could lead to submarining.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to find info on. :) Do you have anything handy?

creideamh

> At University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, we
> researched the practice of switching seat belts to the locking mode when
> used with boosters as part of the development of an updated version of
> the UMTRI document on best practices in child passenger safety (coming
> soon.) When speaking with several vehicle manufacturers, most were
> against the practice of locking seatbelt with boosters because seatbelts
> are designed to allow the torso to rotate past vertical in a frontal
> crash, which acts to prevent submarining below the lap part of the belt
> when there's no crotch strap. When we have tested boosters with the 6YO
> and 10YO dummies, they definitely generate sufficient belt loads to
> activate the locking mechanism in a severe crash. I suspect that some
> of the reports of nonlocking belts may be from a combination of low
> occupant mass and low crash severity.
> The suggestion to lock the seatbelt with boosters to deal with wiggly
> out-of-position kids arose years ago when there weren't higher weight
> harness products available. These would be the best choice if a child
> can't sit properly in a booster seat. Since one of the key curriculum
> directives is to follow the manufacturers' directions, if the
> manufacturers don't tell you to lock the seatbelt with a booster, CPST's
> shouldn't be suggesting it as an option for parents.
>
> Kathy Klinich
> University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute

Sorry for the format, copying from the email

Mae

That's exactly what I just read elsewhere, lol. Is there anything else? Is their data available?

Also, when did they announce this?

creideamh

;) You'll catch up in no time!

The email about not locking the seatbelt with boosters was sent to me on March 30, 2012, sent from them on March 7, 2012. The info is also in their January-March 2012 publication here: http://www.umtri.umich.edu/content/rr_43_1.pdf but it doesn't mention actual data, just reiterates to harness kids if they're wiggly because of the submarining risk with locking the belt.

Reactions: Mae

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC