Confused about rf height in Radian

SmilingMrsF

My 28 month old DS is currently RF in a Britax Blvd. He's actually already at the top of the shell for RF in that seat. I'd like to continue having him RF, so I started looking at other taller shell convertible seats. I've read a lot about the Diono Radians and tried DS out in an RXT model the other day. He's actually only about an inch away from the top of the shell in the Radian!

I don't know if I sat him in that seat incorrectly or not, but it doesn't make sense how he's just at the top of the shell in the Blvd, but only 1 inch away from the top of the shell in the Radian. I thought there was more of a height difference in these seats. I also found on Diono's website where it says you can RF until your child is 44inches.

So, what is the actual RF height requirement for this seat- 1 inch to top of shell or 44 inches? Is it possible I somehow did something wrong when trying him out in the seat the other day. He's tall, but I thought a lot of 3 & 4 year olds can RF in that seat. If it helps at all, I can measure his torso for your guys. Thanks for any help you can give!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's 1.5" in the Radian. But if he's at the top of the shell in the Boulevard he outgrew it about six months ago. That's why there's less difference than you expect. Also, was the Radian in a car or on the ground reclined rear facing?

Wendy

SmilingMrsF

We tried it out in the store and put it in a recline-like position on the floor. Now that I think about it, it also had the padding in the seat still. It looked like the short padding that's used for infants. Maybe that should have been removed to give me a better idea. I don't know. I really would like to continue RF him, but I don't want to purchase a new seat to only have it last for a few months.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Check out the Graco Size4Me/Headwise/My Size 70. It's much taller than the Radian (about 4" rear facing). Then check out the Chicco NextFit and Clek Foonf, also taller than the Radians.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC