Question Evenflo SureRide v. Safety First Guide 65?

U

Unregistered

I am looking to buy a convertible for my 8mo DS, and have pretty much narrowed it down to two options: the Evenflo SureRide Dlx or the Safety First Guide 65. I'm looking for something that is comfortable on long trips, relatively easy to install in the car, something that will last him until he needs a booster, and something that we can cart around and install relatively easily on a plane and taxis.

I'm leaning towards the SureRide, but some people have said it's pretty wide and takes up a lot of room in the car, and that it might not fit on an airplane seat. We do plan on having more kids, and I would like to have room in a back seat for one more carseat and 1 other person, if necessary (we have a Saab 95 sedan and a Saturn Vue).

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions? Or if anyone has suggestions for other carseats in the same general price range (and that will RF to 40lb and FF to 65), I'd appreciate those, as well.

ADS

henrietta

I'm sure others here have used and installed both of these seats. I only have experience w/previous models. I have not heard that the Sure Ride is very wide, and from looking at it in the store, it didn't strike me that way at all. I've found Evenflo convertible seats easier to install than most Safety First (and Cosco/Eddie Bauer, same company) seats when it comes to rearfacing.

I have observed that the buckles on the new Evenflo seats are a bit tougher to buckle than the Safety First, so you may want to check that, esp if you have arthritis in your hands (I do).

I think you'll find the Evenflo seat easier for most installs rearfacing, and it is very tall and will likely last longer than the Guide 65, even though they have the same official "stats".

kaharris83

We just got the Sureride as our travel seat for DS1. On the car seat stat spreadsheet here it says it is 18.5 inches wide at the widest point and the Guide 65 is 19 so I don't think it will be too big to fit the airplane seat at all. It doesn't look wide to me at all in person. We don't do 3 across so I can't comment there. We went with the Sureride because it was taller than the Guide 65 and we need that.

creideamh

I've owned a Guide, played with a SureRide in the store when it first came out and now have one being shipped to me. I agree with Henrietta on the "Evenflo is easier to install" comment; I think they're just more user-friendly.
It should definitely fit on the plane width-wise, assuming you aren't in a bulkhead row/on some small airline where none of the armrests lift up. RF... I'm not so sure and I don't know if anyone has actually tried it yet. I know the Tribute hits the seat in front, and the SureRide is considerably taller and has the recline foot for RF. So, I honestly don't know on that point. That might end up being your deciding factor.
I can comment on 3 across once I receive mine as I'm hoping it'll fit into 3 across in our babysitter's car.
The buckle is also a good thing to mention, since on Evenflo's, you have to press hard to get the tongues to snap in, and then press in just the right spot on the button to get them to release.
I can't think of anything I like about the Guide, beyond the fairly high top slots. :twocents:

Mom_In_SA

Hi Creideamh, sorry to jump on someone's else's question, but did you get your Sureride, and if so how was it in a 3 across situation? Please do post back when you can!

TIA.

creideamh

It depends on the seats you're using and which direction you want it to go. I just bought a Radian for the babysitter's car bc it was easiest to puzzle and I wanted DD RF. (The other kid's Radian in the center had to be FF so to puzzle correctly, the SureRide would've had to be FF too.) I very highly doubt the SureRide would work well in a 3 across when RF, since it's only narrow at the back, not the front, if that makes sense.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC