1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

angie3096

Any opinions on this truck? DH has a friend who wants to sell us his. It only has 16,000 miles on it. We are truck shopping because right now we have a 1998 2 door Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab, and I am pregnant again, and it has come to my attention that you can only put one carseat in that backseat. So we need a new truck. But we don't really have much money for one. This one we could definitely afford.
The kids would only be in it occasionally, but I want them to be as safe as possible when they do need to ride in it. In this truck, we would be using a Radian for dd1 (forward facing--she's 37 pounds) and a SS1 for the baby.
What do you think?

ADS

beeman

What kind and size of engine does it have (ex. 318, or 5.7L Hemi)?
What kind of fuel economy does it get?
With low miles, has it had it's oil changes every six months and proper routine maintenance?
Do you need the truck to do any other work, other than a personal vehicle?

angie3096

For the first three questions, I don't know, but I passed those on to DH as something to think about. We just need something to haul the recycle bins to the recycling center, tow the jet skis to the lake, and tow the little 15' aluminum fishing boat around. We won't be going very far with it. The Tacoma doesn't have much towing capacity, and it has no problems with the aforementioned jobs, so I think even if the Dodge has a smaller engine it should be fine. I'm just more worried about any carseat installation issues we may run into. The whole reason we need a new truck is because of the carseats, and I would hate to run into some problem or some reason why the kids can't ride in THIS truck either.

carseatguy

Once you have the three answers that BeeMan posed, I would add the checking of blue book for your area. There is no doubt that you need another vehicle. The Tacoma is limited to one CRS in most situations, so with another one on the way, you need to do something. I have no Dodge trucks myself, but know many friends who have them and have found them to work with families. With a 1998, the one family/kid upgrade I would make sure to make is the installation of tether anchors in all three rear seating positions as soon as you have a chance. This way you have ff flexibility down the road. As a Tech/Instructor and mechanic, I would have little hesitation if the vehicle is in good condition. The low mileage is attractive and you are welcome to contact me if necessary.
-Car Seat Guy

lovemyfamily

We have a 1999 Dodge Ram, but it is the 2500 and is a diesel. We bought it brand new and it was my vehicle, until we had our first child in 2001, and I got the Yukon XL, I then passed the Ram on to DH. Ours is also the quad cab. The biggest problem I have with it, when we put the carseats, a Regent and Marathon, in it, is that the passenger seat needs to be moved forward to an uncomfortable position. We put the Regent behind the pass. seat since my almost 6yo (tomorrow :( ) has longer legs that hang down fine, and my 4yo sits in the middle so he can rest his legs forward on the folding console. Would be hard, if not unsafe, to put a seat behind the driver, DH would never want to sit that close to the airbag and when we have the kids in there, 99% of the time we are traveling a long distance.
DH loves his truck and it has been good to us.

angie3096

Even the MA doesn't fit well? That's a bummer. I would expect things to be squishy with a Regent. But at least you CAN put a Regent back there! In the truck we have, the Regent wasn't an option at all. I couldn't get it into the backseat, much less install it and flip the passenger seat back into position. It was a bit comical to watch me try.
But I'm bummed that even the MA doesn't fit well in the Ram, because eventually the baby will be in one.

Hopefully the Radian will go okay behind the pass. and we can put the RF seat in the middle. By the time dd1 outgrows her Radian (sob) she should be big enough for a Monarch.

Did you have tether anchors installed and did you have any problems getting them?
Thanks!

lovemyfamily

Even the MA doesn't fit well? That's a bummer. I would expect things to be squishy with a Regent. But at least you CAN put a Regent back there! In the truck we have, the Regent wasn't an option at all. I couldn't get it into the backseat, much less install it and flip the passenger seat back into position. It was a bit comical to watch me try.
But I'm bummed that even the MA doesn't fit well in the Ram, because eventually the baby will be in one.

Hopefully the Radian will go okay behind the pass. and we can put the RF seat in the middle. By the time dd1 outgrows her Radian (sob) she should be big enough for a Monarch.

Did you have tether anchors installed and did you have any problems getting them?
Thanks!

Even when we would put the MA behind the passenger, the seat still needed to be up more to allow comfor for the kiddos legs. Interesting that you can't get your Regent in yours, that is the best place for it in ours, behind the passenger.
We did not have tether anchors installed in ours for FF seats. It has tether anchors, I believe 2, for RF seats though.
Dh get a really tight install for both seats with the seatbelt.
Best us luck with your Radian install. I don't see us traveling in the truck, until DH gets a new one, when we have baby, nowhere to put all the seats.

amyg530

we have a 99 dodge ran quad cab. i like it b/c i feel like i get carseats installed in it better than in my accord. keep in mind that the glass is right on the back so you would want seats that can tether RF. i have put a regent and 2 sceneras in mine, i have also put a snugride, RF MA and a cosco 5pt booster.

this truck is a gas guzzler, i think it gets like 12 mpg. but it does pretty well on the road, lately it costs me about 70ish to fill it from empty and we can make it from montgomery to baton rouge on less than a tank, and thats about 380 miles, the tank is pretty big.

do you have a myspace? i have pictures on mine of different carseat set ups that you can look at. www.myspace.com/amyg530 then click on the main picture and it'll bring you to my albums. hope that helps some, pm me if you have anyother questions

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Any opinions on this truck? DH has a friend who wants to sell us his. It only has 16,000 miles on it. We are truck shopping because right now we have a 1998 2 door Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab, and I am pregnant again, and it has come to my attention that you can only put one carseat in that backseat. So we need a new truck. But we don't really have much money for one. This one we could definitely afford.
The kids would only be in it occasionally, but I want them to be as safe as possible when they do need to ride in it. In this truck, we would be using a Radian for dd1 (forward facing--she's 37 pounds) and a SS1 for the baby.
What do you think?

Are you sure it is a quad cab and not an extended cab? I don't think they started making the quad cab until after 2001.

We have a 2001 Dodge ram 3500 extended cab (there are half doors for the rear tht open the oposite direction of the front doors) In that one we have a RF MA in the cent rear no problems. I do not think there would be adequate room to put a FF seat in this truck other than in the rear center position.

We also have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab and a 2006 Dodge Ram1500 quad cab. These 2 trucks have 4 full sized doors. I can bet 2 MA's and a BV in the rear with one FF the other 2 RF. I did outbosrd passenger RF, center RF, and outboard driver FF. I acouls also do it the opposite or with the FF seat in the center and RFing seats outboard. I have not tried to get all 3 FF or RF at the came time.

lovemyfamily

Are you sure it is a quad cab and not an extended cab? I don't think they started making the quad cab until after 2001.

We have a 2001 Dodge ram 3500 extended cab (there are half doors for the rear tht open the oposite direction of the front doors) In that one we have a RF MA in the cent rear no problems. I do not think there would be adequate room to put a FF seat in this truck other than in the rear center position.

We also have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab and a 2006 Dodge Ram1500 quad cab. These 2 trucks have 4 full sized doors. I can bet 2 MA's and a BV in the rear with one FF the other 2 RF. I did outbosrd passenger RF, center RF, and outboard driver FF. I acouls also do it the opposite or with the FF seat in the center and RFing seats outboard. I have not tried to get all 3 FF or RF at the came time.

Dodge started making the Quad cab in 1998 (see article link below). The rear seat size would be the same as in yours, but the doors cannot be opened on their own, you must open the front doors first, then the back doors open opposite.
In 2007 Dodge came out with the new Dodge MEGA cab, four full size doors, and a full size backseat. It says it is the largest pickup cab ever. DH is drooling over this truck and we will probably be getting him one next year.
Here is a pic of what they call the Quad cab, newer version where the doors can be opened from the outside.
http://www.dodge.com/en/2007/ram_2500/
and the Mega cab
http://www.dodge.com/autoshow/news/news_megacab.html
and the 1999 Quad cab
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/roadtests/131_9902_1999_4x4_of_the_year/photo_09.html
according to this article, it is looks like 1998 is the first year of the quad cab
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/59762&EDATE=
Here is a photo
http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=1998_Dodge_Ram&ReviewID=391

lovemyfamily

Also wanted to add that what you are calling the extended cab, with the doors opening opposite, is what Dodge actually calls their quad cab. That is what we put 2 FF seats in. The Regent is outboard passenger, front seat passenger does have to move the front seat up quite a bit, and the MA is center FF. My Regent rider is a 6yo and his legs can hang down fine, so he is not up against the passenger seat. This is the only seating configuration that works for us though. If we try to put the MA FF behind the passenger, my 4yo complains about his legs being cramped.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Also wanted to add that what you are calling the extended cab, with the doors opening opposite, is what Dodge actually calls their quad cab. That is what we put 2 FF seats in. The Regent is outboard passenger, front seat passenger does have to move the front seat up quite a bit, and the MA is center FF. My Regent rider is a 6yo and his legs can hang down fine, so he is not up against the passenger seat. This is the only seating configuration that works for us though. If we try to put the MA FF behind the passenger, my 4yo complains about his legs being cramped.[/QUOTE

We only have Dodge Trucks. We have a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Cumming Diesel that is an extended cab. You must open the front doors to open the back doors in the opposite direction, a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4 regular doors, and a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel with 4 regular doors. We also have a 62 Dodge truck the the H shifting in the colum, we don't drive this except around the yard.

We also own a Auto Body repair shop that my FIL opened in 1978 so we are very familiar with Dodge Trucks and many other vehicles too ;) If I came off as sounding rude, I am sorry and appolgize.

I just don't think a child in a FF seat would have enough leg room in the extended cab unless the front passener seat is empty and you can move the seat all the way up. If you are able to do this it is great.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Dodge started making the Quad cab in 1998 (see article link below). The rear seat size would be the same as in yours, but the doors cannot be opened on their own, you must open the front doors first, then the back doors open opposite.
In 2007 Dodge came out with the new Dodge MEGA cab, four full size doors, and a full size backseat. It says it is the largest pickup cab ever. DH is drooling over this truck and we will probably be getting him one next year.
Here is a pic of what they call the Quad cab, newer version where the doors can be opened from the outside.
http://www.dodge.com/en/2007/ram_2500/
and the Mega cab
http://www.dodge.com/autoshow/news/news_megacab.html
and the 1999 Quad cab
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/roadtests/131_9902_1999_4x4_of_the_year/photo_09.html
according to this article, it is looks like 1998 is the first year of the quad cab
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/59762&EDATE=
Here is a photo
http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=1998_Dodge_Ram&ReviewID=391

I love the Mega Cab too!!! And it has lower anchors in all 3 positions.

DH and most everyone else around here calls the cabs with doors that open opposite a extended cab and a 4 door a Quad cab. The 4 door quad cab is much roomier than the extended. That is also the way it shows in our estimating software for our shop. I posted my other reply before looking at this post. I just did not think they started making them until around 2000/01.:)

lovemyfamily

Also wanted to add that what you are calling the extended cab, with the doors opening opposite, is what Dodge actually calls their quad cab. That is what we put 2 FF seats in. The Regent is outboard passenger, front seat passenger does have to move the front seat up quite a bit, and the MA is center FF. My Regent rider is a 6yo and his legs can hang down fine, so he is not up against the passenger seat. This is the only seating configuration that works for us though. If we try to put the MA FF behind the passenger, my 4yo complains about his legs being cramped.[/QUOTE

We only have Dodge Trucks. We have a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Cumming Diesel that is an extended cab. You must open the front doors to open the back doors in the opposite direction, a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4 regular doors, and a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel with 4 regular doors. We also have a 62 Dodge truck the the H shifting in the colum, we don't drive this except around the yard.

We also own a Auto Body repair shop that my FIL opened in 1978 so we are very familiar with Dodge Trucks and many other vehicles too ;) If I came off as sounding rude, I am sorry and appolgize.

I just don't think a child in a FF seat would have enough leg room in the extended cab unless the front passener seat is empty and you can move the seat all the way up. If you are able to do this it is great.

You didn't come across as sounding rude at all. I just know they call the 1998 and on that have the extra doors that can open, the Quad cab, for 2 reasons. One is that we just looked at trading in DH's truck on a Mega cab the other night and they sales lady was calling his a Quad cab, and then we found the sticker from when we bought it new, in the glove compartment of it the other day and it said Quad cab. I guess they figure if it has 4 "doors" that open, that is where they get the name Quad from. It does provide a bit more room than the regular extended cab trucks. And as I said, we can't get my 4yo in his MA comfy behind the passenger seat, because his legs don't hang down real far. But my 6yo in his Regent, maybe it isn't as deep as the MA, is ok with his long legs. I DO have to move the passenger seat up a lot, but am able to recline the back of the seat so I don't feel like I am eating the dash. Thankfully we only have to do this on rare occasion.

My DH loves Dodge's. His is a diesel and it has been the best truck. Only reason we would even consider getting rid of it, is that we are having a 3rd baby and cannot imagine trying to fit 3 carseats back there, I don't even see it being possible, DH sure doesn't want to drive that close to the steering wheel and thankfully the passenger airbag can be turned off. But the trade in $ they wanted to give us on his was awful. It is paid for, so we might just keep it as a ranch truck, we have a ranch in Idaho, and then get the new one next year some time.
I drive a Yukon XL, GMC's version of the Suburban, so I LOVE all the room the Mega cab has.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Good I did not want ot sound mean ;)

I would love a MEGA cab! DH says not until I pay my truck off. Only another 4 years ...LOL By then there will be something better I am sure.

lovemyfamily

Good I did not want ot sound mean ;)

I would love a MEGA cab! DH says not until I pay my truck off. Only another 4 years ...LOL By then there will be something better I am sure.

I understand completely. Always something better. The truck was mine before I got my XL, I miss driving it, but love my vehicle now.
Noticed you are in AZ. I grew up in Phoenix, well Glendale. Lived there 26 years before moving to Idaho.

lealiv

I have been looking for some information I have found here in your conversation. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab and two children one is 3, now in a booster seat and a 10 month old ready to come out of infant seat, but the converable car seat I have does not fit in the pick up rear facing without pushing the passanger seat all the way to the front. And in the center the seat is not long enough for the car seat. I don't think it is to safe for the car seat to be hanging off the seat in the car. If you know different please let me know.

amyg530

I have been looking for some information I have found here in your conversation. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab and two children one is 3, now in a booster seat and a 10 month old ready to come out of infant seat, but the converable car seat I have does not fit in the pick up rear facing without pushing the passanger seat all the way to the front. And in the center the seat is not long enough for the car seat. I don't think it is to safe for the car seat to be hanging off the seat in the car. If you know different please let me know.

your 3yo needs to still be in a 5pt harness, at 3 a child is too small and not mature enough to be in a booster. not to mention in most states the min law is 4yr/40#. how much does he/she weigh? what convertable do you have? i have a marathon RF in the middle of my 99ram 1500 and it fits just fine. i think that as long as 80% of the base is on the seat its fine but hopefully a tech can verify this for me. i can take more pictures of mine if you want

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

Even though a booster seat says 30 lbs on it, as techs we do not recommend it. We recommend a minimum of 4 years old and 40 lbs before putting your child safely in a booster seat You really need to put your 3 yo back in a 5 point harness it is safer. How much does you 3 yo weigh and how tall?

As for the 10 month old there are many convertable seats available. What price range are you wanting? I have a 01 Dodge Ram 3500 extended cab with the small half doors that open opposite. I have a Marathon installed on the rear center bench seat.

Here are a couple of pics:
576161372_bdb2e5f5b7.jpg

576369855_16004c65ee.jpg

As long as at least 80% of the car seats base is on the vehicles seat it is fine to have it hand over the edge. As you can see in my photos mine does not hang over. I have plenty of room.

ETA: This install is pretty reclined. You can install more upright as long as it is between 30 and 45 degrees.

Here is a pic of a more upright install (center rear bench) in my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab:
832397410_cab0d0bcab.jpg

You cannot see the vehicle seat, but there is no base hanging over.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC