Any progress on the Graco buckle/harness issues?

whitneyg

Has anything been done by Graco to fix the buckle and harness issues on their new seats yet? I would love to buy either a My Ride or a Size for Me, but not with the sticky buckle and un-tighten-able harnesses. Any news on a solution?

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Untightenable harness? Haven't heard of that one.

But I am aware of the sticking buckle. And no word on a fix for that yet, that I'm aware of. :(

monica-m

CPST Instructor
From what I have heard, they are refusing to really acknowledge there is a problem. They're replacing seats here and there and tricking some of the techs that have been the most vocal about it in to signing NDAs by telling they're going to let them talk to the engineers that are "working on the problem" and then blowing them off.

Since it's something that the average parent is unlikely to notice given the misuse of the average parent I think they're taking the head in the sand approach.

callumsmom

The ridiculous buckle issue is why I snagged a Frontier SICT off of NBD instead of buying a Nautilus. Not only is it a PITA situation with the buckle, but potentially dangerous.

Imagine if you will, grandma is driving the grandkids home from a fun trip to the zoo. She ends up t-boned right into the middle of traffic. Her car is now sitting in a high speed, high traffic area. Her best bet to protect the children assuming they are not hurt is to remove them from the car away from the road to an area of safety if one is available. But what is this, oh no, grandma can't undo the buckle, it is stuck. Panic soon sits in. How will she get them out. She pulls and pushes and tries with all of her might and nothing happens. This whole time cars are just narrowly missing crashing into her car as they zoom along not realizing there has been an accident until they are right on top of it. Grandma doesn't have the kids all the time, doesn't use a carseat every day, she is panicking. She isn't going to necessarily think to loosen the harness all of the way or uninstall the seat with the kids still inside.

Heck, substitute some other situation like an engine or electrical fire. It's something that weighed heavily on my mind. Even if we put seat belt cutters in everyone's car, once panic sets in it's anyone's guess what would actually happen in an emergency and if it would be used. I know it's worst case scenario, but is Graco going to wait until children die as a result of it's defective product? Yeah this whole mess is making me angry.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC