Frontier in booster mode: Tether required?

Chris

My ten yr old rides in a Fontier 85 in booster mode in a seating position where it is currently latched and tethered. Due to a new baby any day, his seat needs to go 3rd row, driver's side outboard (2005 Grand Caravan) where there is no latch or tether. He weighs 72 lbs. Can I use the Frontier in booster mode without the tether? The manual isn't clear, just says that latch and tether can be used in booster mode.

Also, can I use an off center tether location if this needs tethering? The rear seat has what they call a center latch/tether, but it isn't really in the center, it is in the middle of the center and outboard position. I know that Britax allows off center RF tethering, but wasn't sure about FFing off center tethering. It isn't hugely off center, no more than 30 deg I would guess.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
As a booster, LATCH and tether are completely optional, so no worries there.

As for the off-center tether anchor: Does your vehicle manual designate the tether for that seating position? ETA: I see it's a Grand Caravan, and I do believe that anchor can be used by either of the seating positions it's between. As long as it's only being used for one seat, I seem to recall that's ok.

Chris

Re: Frontier in bosster mode: Tether required?

My car says that the latch location is in the center position of the 3rd row, but anyone who has seen it knows that it isn't actually in the center. The lower anchors and the tether spot are pretty much right in the middle of the center and driver's side outboard position (center of the 60 portion of a 60/40 split bench), so even if the seat were used in the center (it can't be, lapbelt only there) the tether would be at an angle. It is a silly place for the latch because if you use it, it takes up two seating positions entirely.

Phineasmama

I don't think you are allowed to use the off center latch for either of the outboard positions, I have never heard that before and I drive a GC too :confused:

Just so you know the Frontier will probably not work very well (if at all) in that 3rd row in booster mode. The seat belt doesn't retract and it bunches up and gets stuck.

Chris

Just so you know the Frontier will probably not work very well (if at all) in that 3rd row in booster mode. The seat belt doesn't retract and it bunches up and gets stuck.

UGH! We have had that problem with other HBB back there, but it has been a long time since we had one back there and I had forgotten that. I may have to see how he does, if he can be counted on to pay attention and fix it every time or if I will just have to move him into a LBB full time, which I hate to do since he will always be outboard. Why does no one consider car seats when designing cars????

Chris

Phineasmama-Off topic, but what do you prefer for your 4 yo rfing? The foonf or RXT? We tried the peg and it wasn't tall enough, but we are waffling between the foonf and the RXT for our 3 yo to keep him RF for as long as possible.

aept

I have ds1 in a Recaro Vivo outboard third row in our grand caravan. It allows the belt to retract and I think the booster fits him well. He is 6.5 years, about 54 lbs and 49-50" tall. He's got room to grow in the vivo.
I wouldn't recommend at nbb in that spot as the belt comes out forward of the child's shoulder/chest. At least a HBB moves the child forward a bit and provides good contact of the shoulder belt with the body. I'll be keeping ds1 in the vivo as long as possible, and when he's big enough for a nbb I think we will switch seats so that I have ds2 or 3 in that spot - someone who can use a booster or harnessed seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Phineasmama

UGH! We have had that problem with other HBB back there, but it has been a long time since we had one back there and I had forgotten that. I may have to see how he does, if he can be counted on to pay attention and fix it every time or if I will just have to move him into a LBB full time, which I hate to do since he will always be outboard. Why does no one consider car seats when designing cars????

Yeah and it's supposed to be a "family" vehicle lol!! The Kiddy World Plus in booster mode works really well back there, but it's expensive. I got mine for a really good deal though.

Phineasmama-Off topic, but what do you prefer for your 4 yo rfing? The foonf or RXT? We tried the peg and it wasn't tall enough, but we are waffling between the foonf and the RXT for our 3 yo to keep him RF for as long as possible.

Well they both give my kids about the same amount of growing room height wise, so if you don't think your 3yo will be more than 45 lbs by the time you're ready to forward face...
They both install really great in the captains chair, the Foonf is much higher up on a base though. I have my other captains chair stowed so I can more easily get the baby in and out :)

I have ds1 in a Recaro Vivo outboard third row in our grand caravan. It allows the belt to retract and I think the booster fits him well. He is 6.5 years, about 54 lbs and 49-50" tall. He's got room to grow in the vivo.
I wouldn't recommend at nbb in that spot as the belt comes out forward of the child's shoulder/chest. At least a HBB moves the child forward a bit and provides good contact of the shoulder belt with the body. I'll be keeping ds1 in the vivo as long as possible, and when he's big enough for a nbb I think we will switch seats so that I have ds2 or 3 in that spot - someone who can use a booster or harnessed seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

I got a Vivo on NBD and it doesn't retract very well for me :(

For a 10 year old it might not fit either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC