Consumer Reports on Booster Minimums

Brigala

CPST Instructor
http://news.consumerreports.org/bab...me-booster-seats-may-put-a-child-at-risk.html

Has anybody seen this article?

In our recent review of booster seats, we found a disconnect between the minimum weight limits allowed by manufacturers and what we would consider best practice for booster use. Of the 34 booster seat models in our tests, 28 state a minimum allowable weight of between 30 and 33 pounds. Current growth charts, however, show that the average 30-pound child is about two-and-a-half years old, far too young to move a child out of a seat with a harness, according to our safety experts.

I thought the article was interesting. Not that I consider CR to be a top authority on child safety, and there were a few things in the article which were a little off, but overall I thought it brings up a lot of good points. And a lot of parents turn to CR for advice on everything, whether "we" wish them to or not.

ADS

hedgefun

The thing I don't like about that article is that it doesn't point out that boosters also have age minimums. I think it does a good job pointing out that people may be boostering too soon. As someone who knows a 5 yo under 30lbs I don't have an issue with a 30lb minimum (she'll probably be just over 30lbs at 6 I'm guessing), but I do take issue with 30lb 3y minimum. 30x6y I'm okay with.

Slightly related, but did anyone notice that they say an infant seat is safer than a convertible on the "car seat guide" link? I'm scratching my head at that one...

Last edited:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I didn't follow the link. Maybe later. :)

The article does address age minimums on seats.

of the 28 booster seats with the lower allowable weight limits, at least half also include a minimum age limit of three and others include height limits that are more typical of a three-year-old.
and
We also found two seats that indicate they can be used by a child starting at age one. Lets be clear, a booster is not the seat for any one-year-old.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I know Dorel backless boosters have a minimum of 1 on them. I'm not sure about their high back models.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Safety 1st Boost Air also says minimum 1 year in both highback and backless mode.
Highback:
30-100 lbs (13.6-45.4 kg) and 34-57 in. (85.1-144.8 cm) and Over 1 Year Old
Backless:
40-100 lbs (18.1-45.4 kg) and 43-57 in. (110.1-144.8 cm) and Over 1 Year Old

Granted, there aren't a lot of 43" tall 1 year olds out there, but most parents ignore height requirements. And besides, 34" is the 50th percentile for a 2 year old. I'd venture to guess there are a LOT of kids between ages 1 and 2 who meet all the minimum requirements to use this seat in highback mode.

ETA: At her 2 year checkup, my daughter was 33 lbs and 36" tall. So if it weren't for my state law requiring 40 lbs to be in a booster, she could have legally used this seat sometime before she turned two, probably at about 20 or 21 months old.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Harmony states no age.

As a mom who has a child who didn't hit 40 pounds until nearly 7, I'm fine with the 30 or 33 pound boosters. We needed them. As usual, education is needed to make people understand that their two year old who is 35 pounds really shouldn't be in them, but a six year old who is 35 pounds is just fine in it.

Wendy

bigteamug

Harmony states no age.

As a mom who has a child who didn't hit 40 pounds until nearly 7, I'm fine with the 30 or 33 pound boosters. We needed them. As usual, education is needed to make people understand that their two year old who is 35 pounds really shouldn't be in them, but a six year old who is 35 pounds is just fine in it.

Wendy

Thank you from a mama of a 33-35 lb 6 year old. I know there are people here who would keep her in a harness for another 2-3 years, but that just isn't an option for us - when the radian 65 expires in the fall, she will be boostered.

tiggercat

Finally, an article from CR that I actually kind of like, lol. Alas, my Canadian is showing.

I'd rather see older kids harnessed for longer than see toddlers in boosters. I think increasing the minimum age limits on boosters would be great. I think it is ridiculous that some state no age (or 1 or 3 years).

Somehow it doesn't seem to be a big problem up here with our 40lb booster mins and lower harness limits?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

christineka

Harmony states no age.

Someone elsewhere bought a new cruz and asked about going above the upper age limit and in that post, reported that the seat said for ages 4-10, so possibly, Harmony has quietly added a minimum age on their boosters. I will have to do some looking around at stores.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thank you from a mama of a 33-35 lb 6 year old. I know there are people here who would keep her in a harness for another 2-3 years, but that just isn't an option for us - when the radian 65 expires in the fall, she will be boostered.

With a six year old skeleton there's no need to harness provided they're over 30 pounds.

Wendy

urchin_grey

Well, until people stop thinking that "my kid is huge" is a reason to booster regardless of age, there really isn't much carseat manufacturers can do. Parents are going to ignore minimums and recommendations.

And yeah, my kid is 30lbs even at nearly 8. He was 20lbs at 18mo so it will be years before he gains another 10. His booster use is very minimal currently (5 miles/week max) and he'll be harnessed all summer because I gave his dad our True Fit. But I don't want to have to harness him full time until he's old enough to drive. :eek:

mrosehughes

With a six year old skeleton there's no need to harness provided they're over 30 pounds.

Wendy

Just a (slightly OT) question here: Is the 30 pounds you state because that's the lowest weight the booster allows?

Age minimums on booster seats make total sense to me. Is there some reason for the weight minimums? (Does that just have to do with the size of the test dolls, or is there something fundamental about 30 lbs that makes it very unsafe to booster below?)

I can't really imagine a 6 YO being below 30 lbs, but if one did exist, would the main reason not to booster simply be because there are no boosters available for kids that weigh less than 30 lbs?

Sorry, that's a bit confusing.

While I agree that the article misses the point slightly by focusing on weight rather than age, they do mention age and in a sensible way. It seems like a step forward for CR.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just a (slightly OT) question here: Is the 30 pounds you state because that's the lowest weight the booster allows?

Exactly. In Canada I'd have no problem boostering a 40 pound six year old, because that's the minimum there.

Age minimums on booster seats make total sense to me. Is there some reason for the weight minimums? (Does that just have to do with the size of the test dolls, or is there something fundamental about 30 lbs that makes it very unsafe to booster below?)

Probably because the majority of kids under 30 pounds are way too young to booster, so why test them out?

I can't really imagine a 6 YO being below 30 lbs, but if one did exist, would the main reason not to booster simply be because there are no boosters available for kids that weigh less than 30 lbs?

Right. A harness would be necessary. And technically in Canada and some states a harness would be necessary to 40 pounds by law.

Wendy

Brigala

CPST Instructor
So, I decided to call Safety 1st out on this on their FB page, and got this response:
Hi, ladies. Thank you for your question. Starting early last year, we started making changes to our age requirements. All of our non-harnessed boosters now have older age requirements -- a booster with a back has an age requirement of 3-years-old and without the back at 4 years of age. The child must meet all three criteria: age, weight, and height in order to use the booster seat. The weight and height range we use on our boosters match the size of an average 3-year-old. Thanks!

I think it's a little odd, though, because 34" tall is NOT the height of an average 3 year old; it's the height of an average 2 year old.

Anyway, I'm a lot more concerned about the age minimums than I am about the height minimums. My personal opinion is that I'd harness a child under 40 lbs of any age unless the child were too tall to harness. I'm just not convinced that I can count on the vehicle belt to lock on a lighter child in an accident, and some vehicles state 40 lbs as the minimum for using the seat belt also (sorry, I can't recall which vehicle(s) off the top of my head). But it's a moot point anyway because (a) my child will probably hit 40 lbs at or around her 3rd birthday, and (b) I live in a state where we have a law requiring kids under 40 lbs (regardless of age) to be in a harnessed seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd rather see higher minimums, given that parents go to the next stage when their kids are 'close enough', it would keep more kids harnessed longer. Is it inconvenient for the tiny fraction of kids who are in the lowest percentiles? Yeah. So be it. Honestly, people at both ends of the special needs/weight spectrum are inconvenienced, but if the ethical goal is to save the lives of the majority, then the best thing to do is raise the minimums. :twocents: (Until my long-stated ultimate goal of cars being safe for all sizes of occupants. I love playing with carseats, but I'd rather see kids be safe in cars without them :p)

daniele_ut

wendytthomas said:
Harmony states no age.

Wendy

Thank you for answering a question I have been meaning to post. DD had her 5 year old well child check 2 weeks ago and she is only 34.5 lbs. She rides in a Nautilus right now but I've been considering when to move her to a booster and was wondering if it would be safe to do when she turns 6 even though she won't be 40 lbs.

henrietta

Wendy

And for the benefit of those reading this type of thread for the first time, I'd add "and behaviorally and developmentally they can and will sit properly". ;)

henrietta

Thank you for answering a question I have been meaning to post. DD had her 5 year old well child check 2 weeks ago and she is only 34.5 lbs. She rides in a Nautilus right now but I've been considering when to move her to a booster and was wondering if it would be safe to do when she turns 6 even though she won't be 40 lbs.

My oldest child may have weighed 35 lbs at 5 yrs old...maybe...and he hit 40 on his 6th birthday. He is super skinny, below what a kid his size should be...but he did it. She may surprise you!! (-;

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC