New study on CRS use

cantabdad

I apologize if this has already been posted, but NHTSA recently released a study on carseat and booster seat usage. The primary focus is on children 4 to 7 years of age but covers the whole span. It is based on a rigorous sampling methodology and includes comparisons against an earlier 2009 study.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811718.pdf

Although there are still way too many children who ride completely unrestrained or (as the report calls it) "prematurely graduated" to the next stage, there is still a lot of good news in the report.

In particular, I noted that in the relatively short time from 2009 to 2011, the share of 1- to 3-years riding rear-facing more than doubled from 3% to 7%. Booster usage also increased and there were fewer kids inappropriately moved into seatbelt-only. We still have a long way to go.

ADS

agave

I have 2 friends who have had babies since the new RF recommendations. They RF to 18 and 21 months. Riding with both of these friends as a kid I was told I didn't have to wear my seatbelt in their van. One of them has a harnessed almost 6 yr old. It's nice to see change even if it's slow.

MommyShannon

That is great. I was happy recently when a new mom in our moms' group complained about her 13 month old's new seat. I was expecting it was a new ff seat, but it was a rf convertible and she was hating the Graco buckle. She was aware he should be rf though not entirely understanding and was concerned about leg comfort as he grew. I reassured her and showed her how my 3 year old sits.

I was ecstatic at my 9 month olds check up when the doc mentioned the recommendations have changed and I should keep her rf until 2 years. I told her my 3 year old who was being seen too was still rf and she said, "Sure, the safer the better." A PA at the same practice when DD2 turned 2 told me at her check up that I could go ahead and turn her now and she would probably be more comfortable.

I actually match these studies. My oldest kids were born in 2005 and 2007 and we turned them right at 1. DD2 born in 2010 is still rf. If I hadn't heard the rf message and researched with her, I may not have gotten the booster message here too. I'm not sure what I knew of boosters before since I hadn't gotten to that.

Phineasmama

Wow..that is GREAT that rear facing between 1-3 years doubled but it makes me sad that it's still only 7%!!!

I know among my friends it's much higher than that though :p

agave

Wow..that is GREAT that rear facing between 1-3 years doubled but it makes me sad that it's still only 7%!!!

I know among my friends it's much higher than that though :p

If it doubles every 2 years we could have a whole bunch of RF 1-3 yr olds very quickly.

zactayaus

I've only been a tech at a hospital for about a year and a half now but I've noticed a big difference in that time frame. When I first started working there when I would visit the rooms and remind parents of the new recommendations to RF to 2yo I was almost always met with eye rolls, dropped jaws, and laughter.:( Now just 18 months later in almost every room I round when I mention RF to 2yo I get the nod of recognition.:D I rounded almost 20 rooms today and only got 2 eye rolls.:love:

Phineasmama

At the check we did today we had several parents with babies getting out of the infant seat and into the convertible, not ONE person questioned keeping the baby rear facing. And the parents I talked to I stressed rear facing to the limits of the convertible- which since they were all buying Tributes from us would not be that long anyways- and try and get at least to 2 years old if not more and no eye rolls at all :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC