Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

How difficult is this going to be?

I'm finally going to get a chance to take the CPST class next month... I've been waiting a while, we live in a kind of remote area... the only problem I'm seeing is that I will be 37 weeks pregnant at the time of the class.(my last DD went to 41+ weeks, so I'm not worried about having the baby by then) Anyone taken the class while pregnant? Any pointers/hints/ideas?
    Sarah, 29y, 5'11" mommy of:Ellyza, 8mos, 22#, 30in, 18M torso, RF Radian R120 or Graco MyRide 65
    Mary, 7y0m, 45#, 44.5in, 17in torso, FF in a Frontier85
    Ireland, 3y9m, 36#, 40In, 15.5in torso, RF in a Radian RXT or Graco Size4Me70

Riding in a 2006 Buick Terraza

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: How difficult is this going to be?

I think you'll be fine if you're still mobile. I had a really tough pregnancy last time and there's no way I could have done it; but I could barely walk across the room at 37 weeks. In my previous two pregnancies I don't think it would have been an issue.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

Senior Community Member

I took my class while pregnant, but I was only 24 week. I didn't have any trouble but I wasn't very far along. I probably could have taken it at 37 weeks, I did do a check even when I was right about 38 weeks and didn't have any trouble with that.

It will just depend on how your pregnancy is going and if you are experiencing any pain and/or complications.
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

I was ~30 weeks with my daughter when I took the course and I was fine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

I was very newly pregnant, so no help to you. i can see a couple of possible issues. the first being that regardless of your birth history, it is VERY possible that something might happen to either put your on some for of bedrest, etc or you might have the baby early. Beyond that, I can see the instructor sort of freaking out and having issues with you being in the class. Lots of people (especially first responders, police, fire, etc) treat pregnant woman like ticking time bombs. Beyond that, recommendations would be to make sure you bring things with you to stay hydrated and not hungry. don't try to hotdog with installs... you really don't want to hurt yourself.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

Senior Community Member thepote's Avatar
    Ds2 and ds3 were both 41+ weeks and then my DD was born at 37.5 weeks. Just sayin'

I'm just hopeing there isn't a van at the car seat check that has seats in the 3rd row with 2 rf seats in captians chairs... The same set up as I have... because I don't think I could get back there anymore and install seats.

No complications with DD2 or current pregnancy, DD2 wasn't ready at 41+ weeks but at 9lbs 1.1oz doc was worried she wouldn't come out if we let her go to 42weeks.

I warned the instructor so she wont be shocked/scared. The 80 mile each way drive is going to suck.... but I really want to take the class. And then I won't have to fight with the nurses at the hospital who want me to bring my convertable seat in to the hospital to bring #3 home.
    Sarah, 29y, 5'11" mommy of:Ellyza, 8mos, 22#, 30in, 18M torso, RF Radian R120 or Graco MyRide 65
    Mary, 7y0m, 45#, 44.5in, 17in torso, FF in a Frontier85
    Ireland, 3y9m, 36#, 40In, 15.5in torso, RF in a Radian RXT or Graco Size4Me70

Riding in a 2006 Buick Terraza

Moderator - CPST Instructor Pixelated's Avatar

I was 36 weeks for the course and 37 at my first check. I wasn't allowed to install any RF convertibles if they required getting in behind the seat to do it, but other than that I was fine. I brought a yoga ball to sit on, wore my comfiest pants all of the days, and took as many bathroom breaks as needed. Good luck!
    Jen ~ Canadian CPST-IT with CPSAC

10. Thank You from: