Need some suggestions for car seats in Canada

Murphy's Law

My cousin lives in Canada and I know the regulations are very different than here in the states. So, for those of you who live in Canada and are in the know, what are some good higher weight limit seats that she could use up there? I believe the Marathon is only rated for 48 pounds there, but that's better than the 40 pound limit on most of the other seats. What about the SKR? Are there others?

The baby is not born yet, so we may need info on infant bucket seats as well, since IMO they fit infants better than convertibles. But if we can find a convertible that is good for an infant and maybe has a HWH too, that would be great!

Thanks very much!

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Radian is now rated to 65lbs, however, Canadian Tire is still selling the 48lbs version. Note: they are the identical seat. Baby boutique stores are all carrying the 65lbs version.

The Marathon is also rated to 65lbs now. Britax has chosen to sell out of it's remaining 48lbs stock before allowing the 65lbs stock to come into Canada. The 65lbs seats are expected to start arriving anytime now.

If she has a FFing child only, then she will also want to look at a few combination seats...

Evenflo Visions/Chase/Traditions - harnesses to 47lbs, then makes okay belt positioning booster

Evenflo Bolero/Generations - harnesses to 47lbs, then makes decent belt positioning booster

Graco Ultra/Platinum Cargo - harnesses to 48lbs, then makes crappy belt positioning booster... be very careful with this one, there is a Graco *Treasured* Cargo that does NOT have a front adjust harness: you do not want the Treasured Cargo.

Cosco/Safety 1st Apex - harnesses to 48lbs, then makes an okay belt positioning booster

Murphy's Law

That's great to hear about the MA and SKR limits being raised to 65. The baby isn't due until around the new year.

She really didn't seem to want to use an infant seat and was turned on by the 3 in 1's, but I'm not sure about whether or not a convertible will fit from birth or not and I did tell her why the 3 in 1 seats aren't preferred.

So, what do you have available for infant seats up there? Do they have the SS1?

Thanks again for your help!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
What about the Radian Premier? It is the Canadian version of the Radian 80 but only harness' to 65lbs. I think of any convertables this one would be the best for an infant.

For infant seats we have:
*Graco ~snugride, SS1
*Evenflo ~discovery, embrace
*Cosco/Safety 1st/Quinny
*Peg Perego ~viaggio/viaggio SIP
*Combi centre DX
That is all I can think of at the moment, if I think of more i'll let you know.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
If she only wants a convertible from birth, then the Radian Premier is the only one I would suggest. It fits newborns great and my 5 year old still has 1.5 - 2 inches of torso growth left in it. It really is the only seat that could last you from birth to age 6 or 7... then all she'd need would be a good booster.

The SS1 is my favourite infant seat to recommend followed by the Snugride with front adjuster. The Peg Perego is nice too, although on the pricey side for the amount of time it lasts.

Murphy's Law

Great! :thumbsup: Thanks so much for your suggestions. I have sent her here to do some reading, so I'm sure she'll see this. I really appreciate the help!

:D

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd also add, with baby being due in January, she's REALLY going to want/need an infant carrier - even if she buys a convertible that would fit a newborn well. With winter's being so cold and spring sometimes late to come, being able to properly bundle up baby before taking him/her to the vehicle is truly invaluable up here.

Just make sure that she knows not to get one of those bundle me bags. Buckling baby up snug in their clothes, covering them up with lots of blankets, and then putting one of those little shower cap type things over the top of the carrier keeps baby warm and is 100% safe.

Britax has started shipping the 65lb MA's, probably another 4 wks before they start showing up in stores though. :thumbsup: I have one being sent directly to me from Britax to help a family through the KDM foundation, so that's how I know they're starting to ship. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC