Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

1998 Dodge Dakota ext cab pickup + rear facing car seat

Can you put at car seat rear facing in an 1998 Dodge Dakota ext cab pickup? We are looking at buying one.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

Re: 1998 Dodge Dakota ext cab pickup + rear facing car seat

Hi, welcome to car-seat.org?

Can you tell us a little more about the back seat in this vehicle? Is it an actual full size bench seat? Or is it a short (i.e. not deep) bench that folds up? Sideways seats?

I tried googling and it looks like it might be the folup up bench but want to be sure.

ETA: And also, is the front seat a bench or Captain's chairs?
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

My father in law has a 2001 dodge ram. The install is tricky to get the recline correct with my son in a RF Safety 1st Guide 65. I have to use two pool noodles to keep it secured but it does work. Not sure how similar the two trucks are.

The two trucks are not similar in terms of room.

The extended cab Dakota is VERY un-friendly for child restraint installs. You should be able to get a RFg install behind the passenger but will need to move the front passenger seat quite far up, especially for a newborn recline.

FFg seats are far more problematic. It is a very shallow seat bottom and most seats won't work. Your most upright options are probably something like a Radian or (for a FFg only seat) a Maestro.

Honestly, if you don't already own the Dakota, it is not a vehicle I would recommend trying to install a child restraint in if you don't have to.

GL
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

We have a 2004 extended cab Dakota. I've had a rear facing coccoro, rear facing Radian, forward facing radians, maestros, and nautilus (harness mode only), and FF Myride (you will have to remove the top tether and thread it through backwards)

The FF seats have to be wedged very upright and back to have 80% of the carseat on the vehicle seat.
    Sunny, a new patrol car, an old raggedy Civic, and:
    J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT

Unregistered

My mom has a 1995 Dakota. We could not get a RF seat in it at all. It literally didn't fit behind the driver or passenger, even with the seats all the way forward. And if it was in the middle, it went so far forward that the driver had problems moving their arm to drive. We ended up FF our 12 month old when she had to ride with him. :| She was our babysitter at the time and she did have to take him out with her once a week. I would definitely recommend against getting it.

I have this exact truck and its a giant pain in the rear for car seats. I used a RF Roundabout and that was the best fit rear facing. I'm currently using a Maestro for forward facing. The bench of the back seat is only 13.5" deep, and the buckle stalks are super long. It's difficult to get a seat that doesn't overhang too far, can be installed with the buckle stalk length, and fits the small cab.

Alternatively you can shut off the passenger airbag manually and put a rear facing seat in the front passenger seat if you need to.
    Emma
    CPST-I & Colorado Mama to 5 year old Sam & 1 year old Grace, riding in a Frontier and a Coccoro.