If you could choose between the two...

kidzndogz

Price point no objection, which would you pick, the new Aton with the load leg or the Graco CC 35LX?

I've been waiting for the Aton2 because of the load leg and the LSP. I like it because I'm not buying another base so it'll be an easy one to switch between cars and also because I like the baseless install the best of all infant seats. And it's cute. And I dig the ease of use.

But now I'm somewhat considering the Graco because it has the headwings I like and it's actually a teeny bit lighter than the Aton, AND it's cheaper. Price isn't really an option, but it's not going to be used very long so I dunno. Baby will go into a Nextfit that Liam is currently in after they outgrow the infant seat. I don't like baseless installs on seats other than the Aton, so I'd have to switch this base to Shaun's truck twice a week, but with the lockoff (he has no LATCH) it's no biggie.

I don't mind price too much since I don't think we will stop at 2 kids so I can use it again someday and I've been coveting the Aton for awhile...but the sensible person in me likes the Graco too. The CC40 is too big. But I want headwings (I know the Aton doesn't have them but I like the LSP). Then I saw the CC35LX and it seemed pretty much what I'm looking for. But I can't find a place to see it in person. I don't like that. I'd only consider it if the headwings have EPS foam, and I'm not sure they do. I'm assuming so.

So? Which one for Shrimp v2.0?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd pick the Aton because the baseless install is so awesome, the load leg, and the connection to the base is metal all over which I prefer.

The insert on the Aton does quite enough of a good job limiting head movement to me, without causing chin-to-chest.

crunchierthanthou

I didn't love the Aton. :duck:

The canopy sucks. I knew that. I didn't think that would matter. It did. (the newer ones at least stay together better, but the overall design is still terrible).
It's awkward to clip into the base.
The adjuster isn't smooth. The splitter plate gets drags against the back of the shell and it's hard to get tight.
The handle has a slight wobble, so the seat rocks about 1/2" when you're carrying it.

None of those are major, but they added up to me not liking it as well as I'd expected. I'd go with the Graco, and apply the savings toward a second base.

Or what about the new UppaBaby or Nuna seats?

MotoMommaNH

Not sure if this helps but when I read the Aton2 manual it stated that the handle can only be in the carry position when installed baseless. This is a huge issue for me (well more like other caretakers who would definitely not remember to slide the handle back after clicking it in.)
Something to do with how the LSP is positioned when it's in the base vs. not.

I was honestly going to buy it until that came up. Now I'm back to the Keyfit. (I can't trust the Graco buckles right now).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's only allowed in the carry position at any time in the car on the current one- I consider this a plus and a safety benefit.

kidzndogz

Yeah I only use infant seats with the handle up in the car anyway for rebound purposes. I wouldn't buy one that didn't allow that. So that's no biggie.

I hadn't heard about the splitter getting hung up. That's kind of a pain. I do have a hard time clicking it into the base but I was hoping that was just because I've only messed with it a few times for a few minutes each, and I was playing with it on the floor of the store, not in a car.

I forgot about Graco buckles....that might have just made my decision right there.

I like the Mesa, but it looks identical to the Aton, just with out the load leg! Well, it does have headwings. I haven't seen the Nuna, I'll have to check it out. I would like the seat to be stroller compatible though for those times I'm not wearing the baby and I got rid of my Vista so I think the Mesa is out...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've only heard of the splitter plate being an issue when tightening the seat while ON the base. We have never had a problem putting it on or off the base or tightening it, and have been using it daily for more than 6 months, but only tighten and loosen it outside of the car. There's a "knack" you learn to getting it on and off, and it's MUCH easier to do when installed than when uninstalled.

I won't be buying a Graco or Evenflo product myself until they change the buckles. The problems seem to just get worse and worse. :(

Mae

I won't be buying a Graco or Evenflo product myself until they change the buckles. The problems seem to just get worse and worse. :(

I don't want to hijack :eek: ... but what problems? :eek:

At first I thought you were referring to the fact that they changed them a few years back. No? Something else?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't want to hijack :eek: ... but what problems? :eek:

At first I thought you were referring to the fact that they changed them a few years back. No? Something else?

Yeah, they changed them- and more and more of them seem to be developing problems. Some are bad out of the box but they seem to be the minority. More and more reported issues seem to be "I've had it for months (or years) and it was fine until it just stopped opening." I'm not ok with them being ok until they fail...

Reactions: Mae

nannykates

This may be a bit random but sice the nuna came up....My tech class instructor had a nuna (prototype but he said it should be about done with changes) so I got to play. Yes it has a leg and rigid latch. I also loved the seatbelt lockoff. It was easier than the latch for me! But that seat is HEAVY.

MotoMommaNH

Yeah I only use infant seats with the handle up in the car anyway for rebound purposes. I wouldn't buy one that didn't allow that. So that's no biggie.

I think I was confusing myself when I wrote what I meant about that.:rolleyes:

Here's the issue I had: When you put the Aton2 in the car in the base, you must move the handle back one position. As in, it can't be in the carry position. So not great for rebound purposes unfortunately. I know you said you'd be using it with and without the base.

Quote from the manual:
NOTE! when using ATON 2 in combination with ATON
Base or ATON Base-fix the driving-position of the handle
changes from A to B. (Basically showing a picture of the handle up without the base and the handle back with the base)

HOWEVER, I believe this is the European manual - if someone can get their hands on the US version maybe it's different...

ETA: http://cybex-online.com/fileadmin/downloads/manuals/2012/aton2/ATON_2_UG_SG2.pdf it's on page 23

Last edited:

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't love the *look* of the Aton, so I'd go with the Graco. I have two Graco seats with new buckles, and I haven't had any issues. I found it tricky for a little while and then adjusted. It is worrisome that the issues are continuing though. Hm. Maybe I'd get the Aton then.

I'm no help whatsoever. Good luck. :eek:

3 ladybugs

I am due in July (actually August 1 but he will be here in July) and I am getting the Aton 2.

However I think I just fell in love with it more. I was looking at the PP links and I saw that they have a summer cover, and a winter foot muff that you can get for this seat. Now I was going to get red because I figured that would be best for my itty bitty guy in the summer but this makes me wonder if I should order that from Europe if I can't find it here. I also LOVE that foot muff! Here are the links if you want to drool with me: http://www.bambinokids.de/Cybex-Aton-Footmuff-in-Chilli-Pepper-red:p:984:en.html and http://www.kidsroom.de/050086071

That would be safe to bring here right? The accessories don't have to be tested in this country do they? :confused:

ETA YIKES!! I just looked at shipping to the US from Europe! I think it would be cheaper to send DH to Europe, have him pick it up, and fly back! LOL

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think I was confusing myself when I wrote what I meant about that.:rolleyes:

Here's the issue I had: When you put the Aton2 in the car in the base, you must move the handle back one position. As in, it can't be in the carry position. So not great for rebound purposes unfortunately. I know you said you'd be using it with and without the base.

Quote from the manual:
NOTE! when using ATON 2 in combination with ATON
Base or ATON Base-fix the driving-position of the handle
changes from A to B. (Basically showing a picture of the handle up without the base and the handle back with the base)

HOWEVER, I believe this is the European manual - if someone can get their hands on the US version maybe it's different...

ETA: http://cybex-online.com/fileadmin/downloads/manuals/2012/aton2/ATON_2_UG_SG2.pdf it's on page 23

Those are quotes from Euro instructions. As far as I know in the US the carry position will be required still (and the base will be included. ;) )

kidzndogz

Well jeez, you guys made that easy, lol.

Aton it is! Now to decide on a color....diapers.com is the only place I can find them for preorder right now. I like red but the one they are showing kind of looks like blood to me...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The prototype colors I saw looked about the same shades as current. I love my red. The blue was gorgeous too. So I'd search for rl pics of current ones to get an idea of the shades they use...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC