Question Booster recommendations for tight three across

mom of six

My SIL has a 2003 Mazda 3 and is due with #3 this week. Her DS is 6yo, not sure on height or weight but is slightly over the top slots of his SK Raidan. DD1 (almost 4) is also riding in a SK Raidan and fits fine. DD2 will be riding in a SR32. What boosters should I recommend to her that will puzzle well with a Raidan and/or a SR32 base?

Current set up has both RN's outboard with the SR32 in the middle. I believe they would prefer it this way as both mom and dad are tall (6' plus).

She may be open to ditching the SR32 and using the other Radian RF as I know she is considering babywearing as a means of managing two kids and an infant in public. However, front-to-back space would be an issue with a RF Raidan at the infant angle.

Could a 6 YO (turned 6 in Feb) go straight to a backless? I think a Literider would fit. He seems to have good impulse control but he does have a disorder called Ocular Motor Apraxia that has caused delays in gross motor skills (crawling, walking, running). He is walking fine now but did not learn how until about 2 1/2. He can run but has his own way of doing it. It is almost like a "gallop" (imagine Neil Armstrong on the moon).

Second question and may be worthy of a second thread...
I know the SR32 fits in the SR30 base but is it OK to use the SR30 base for the SR32? I thought it SR30 in SR32 base was OK but not the other way around but then I saw a graphic from Graco saying it was OK. Thoughts, caveats, if-then, or other qualifying statements?

TIA

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I was able to use a Vivo with RF and FF Radians in a tight 3-across (Prius) recently.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There's only one replacement base at BRU now for 30/32/35, and it is basically the 30, so rather narrower than the 32/35 base. It fits fine, it's labeled for all seats, and it may be a nice narrow choice for three across (if it's not cheaper anywhere else, she can use a 20% coupon at BRU and bring it down from $48.99 sticker price).
I'd probably be fine with a non-car-napping 6 yo in a backless, I noticed my own dd's shoulderbelt started staying on her really well when she hit six, her shoulders were like too narrow before that age. Graco Connext is also a nice narrow choice, or cosco topside, but if LiteRider works, it's about the cheapest (Top Side requires the shoulderbelt to be above the armrest on the buckle side, the fit is *awesome* in some cars, and *strangling* in others, so buy-try-return that one from Target if necessary).

momtoo3

For a backless booster the one that has worked well in the tight 3 across in the 3rd row of my van is the Cosco Ambassador/HighRise (same seat, two different names.) It is narrower at the armrests so it makes it easier to buckle.
And oddly the Monterey worked 3 across in dh's small car for the same reason....it was narrower at the armrests but the Monterey may not play nice with the other seats. I had it puzzled with a FF MyRide.

autumnlily

There is always the RSTV (vest) too. Not my favorite for an everyday use - but it's not awful either.

Lite rider works beautifully in our Prius three across (FF Blvd/lite rider/FF Radian).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC