Please Help! Need low-priced car seat for airplane and taxi rides

silicagal

Ladies,

We're taking a last minute vacation to the Bahamas and my Chicco Nextfit won't arrive until after we get back. My 24 month old is still in her Chicco Keyfit 30 but she's right at the height limit and since she's so big I cannot install without the base b/c the belt goes across her legs. I just flew with her and was given a lot of trouble on one flight about the seat being rear-facing. I brought the heavy base and used it on the airplane even though the manual says to install without the base on airplanes. It was such a pain to get everything on the plane. I don't want any hassle on our 4 flights to and from the Bahamas.

I want to buy a convertible seat to forward-face on the airplane but rear-face on the taxi rides. Most seats seem to require pool noodles for proper rear-facing installation. Are there any narrow convertibles that would easily install in the taxis rear-facing without the need for towels and pool noodles? Something that fits well in smaller cars and is narrow so it will fit in an airplane seat easily?

Thanks for your help!

ADS

henrietta

Generally, since she's 24 mos old, most seats will install properly for her age without a pool noodle. She can be more upright--30-45 degrees is acceptable in most seats. Someone here will have the little tool to show you for how to figure that out...I don't have it. ;) But it's not difficult without it.

The Cosco Scenera and Evenflo Tribute both will work rear and forward facing for about $40-50. They are super lightweight and easy to travel with. I think the Tribute is easier to install. The new Evenflo Sure Ride is a super nice, long lasting convertible seat that will get her to booster age! It's $99 most places. It's taller than the other two and has a higher weight limit.

And you *can* install it rear-facing on the plane. I don't know why they're giving you a hard time, except that an infant seat takes up *much* more space front to back than a convertible seat. She is safer rear-facing in a plane, just like in a car..but at 2 yrs old, if you prefer to forward face her on the plane for simplicity, I wouldn't have a problem w/that either.

Many well traveled parents here have used bungy cords and bungy corded their carseat to their rolling suit case to make it easier to get thru the airport. I'm sure there are many posts about that around here, esp on the travel forum.

hths!

Enjoy your trip. It sounds wonderful!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC