HELP asap! Baby with broken arm!

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Can she unwrap the arm for just a minute to buckle her up then rewrap it over the harness? She would be unwrapped for only about the same amount of time as it would take to change her shirt.

If this isn't possible, I would say the next best option would be to see if a local hospital has a car bed with a cummerbund wrap available to loan.

The car bed might actually even be the best option if the problem is a broken collar bone, since I'm not sure that a broken clavicle would be sound enough to prevent ejection in a traditional carseat at all.

V

VanIsleMommy

Do any car seats allow removal of the chest clip even if only in a special case?

osumoose

The nearest NICU is 2 hours away. We will be there on Tuesday anyway, so I plan on meeting their SN CPST. We are very rural, so there are not car beds available. We also have a 7 seater suburban, and every seat is full because we have four children of our own. I can't unwrap her arm at all without her screaming in pain, and am not supposed to anyway, so that's out. I will try to independently adjust the straps on the RA seat she came with, and meet with her doctor tomorrow. Going to ask if he can do a cast on a lot more of her body because she will be transported so often.

She is wrapped in an ACE bandage style wrap (two actually) and I could leave room to slide it under, but the problem is that with her arm across her body I just can't get it tight enough. I'm also calling CPS tomorrow to request that perhaps they have very limited visitations because of the dangers involved with transportation. It's 30min one-way to the nearest town where visitations are held, so that's a significant amount of time in the car.

Thank you everyone for your help! This is one of those really tricky situations that I hope no one else has to experience!

MaKoski

Is there anyway to get the point across to the social worker that to go for visits/ unnessisary rides(non medical) it is indangering the child to be improperly restrained in the car seat(since there is no safe way to restrain her) And that visits should be posponded untill baby heals and can safely ride in a seat.

Just a thought.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC