2014 Subaru Forester

MotoMommaNH

Anyone have their hands on one yet? Installed seats in it?

We drove by the lot when they were closed last weekend and I found one unlocked so I jumped in the back seat just to see. OMG there's SO much room back there for my 5'8" leggy frame. I can only imagine this spells good things for car seat installation!?

I know there were a lot of issues with the 2013 so I'm hopeful for this model. I looked it up and Consumer Reports' next issue will have the full review but I'm pretty sure they aren't going to try to install a Radian RF'ing behind the passenger :rolleyes: That's why I need you guys! :thumbsup:

It just seemed so much NICER than the 2013 too. Quality of build and materials; and I really like the Subaru LATCH access (just velcro'd cloth over the anchors located in the seat bight).

DH needs a new car sooo badly. But it's gotta get at LEAST 30 mpg (Forester is 32 hwy) and be big enough for seats! Here's to hoping!

ADS

Traquy

I was actually just coming into the forum to see if anyone had seen the new commercial for the Forester. I just saw one on TV and the whole thing was about car seats, and more space and easier to use car seats and WOW this thing is so much better for kids and car seats!!! (that was the gist anyway) I immediately thought about this forum and how much people complained about fitting car seats in a Forester, so it looks like they listened. I think I saw every kind of car seat in this ad, high back boosters, low back boosters, convertible, infant carrier...all of them. It was definitely a targeted ad for people with kids.

canadiangie

Wow, I just pulled up the commercial on YouTube. Is it ever focused on car seat and kid friendliness. Almost like they are validating the fact that in the past their backseats haven't been the easiest to work in. Very interesting... :)

MotoMommaNH

I know!! That's why I want to see some IRL action shots! This looks like the perfect vehicle for us. Plenty of room and great gas mileage!

I need to find the time to go test drive one and throw some seats in it...in between getting our house ready to be sold and looking for a new one. :rolleyes:

kristen1219

We just bought one! We won't have it till next week, but we put the roundabout that only just fits in the center of our 06 forester behind a 6' tall man in the 14 and there was plenty of room without it touching the passenger seat. I sat back there with it and, oh my gosh, so roomy! I have no doubt that we will be able to fit an infant seat and the convertible rear facing back there when we have a second and hopefully even three seats someday.

I was shocked at how much bigger it is and it gets better gas mileage!

nikamom

We're thinking about it too! Kristin, I'd love to hear your thoughts when you get it. We also need to get a new carseat and was thinking Diono but think (?) I've heard that they don't install well in Subarus. So will definitely want to hear someone's IRL experience.

How do you think the dealer would feel if I tried to strap in a car seat during a test drive... ;)

MotoMommaNH

If you're not in a hurry, it might be worth waiting for some crash test results, too!

Starting off good...it's an IIHS Top Safety Pick http://www.iihs.org/news/
Just waiting on NHTSA now! The previous body style did excellent until NHTSA introduced it's new test in 2011 (the lateral pole one, it only got 2 stars). Hopefully with the '14's new upgraded safety equipment and architecture I am thinking it will do well!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We've purchased vehicles before they have a full set of testing. Plus, Subaru has a pretty good track record lately in terms of crash testing, so it's pretty likely to be quite safe!

vermontmoms

We just bought one on Monday (2014 limited) and I fit two Montereys and still had room for me to sit back there during the test drive. Oh and tons of leg room front to back. Way more than a Tuscon, Ford Escape and CRV.

Our installs were so easy during the test drive. The rear seats also recline which would help with installing seats. They have a flap that pushes out of the way for the install. The only issue we have had so far is when kids buckle themselves in b/c the buckles are set deep into the seats and the side walls of the booster stick up and make it harder for a child. But that is not a deal breaker for me!

In actual space I only had about and inch or two diff in space then the 2014 Outback.

Love the car so far!

MotoMommaNH

Bumping this up because I would still love to see pics of seats installed in it! :D

Preferably some kind of giant RF'ing convertible, like a Foonf. A girl can dream, right? :cool:

AutumnGoddess

I just wanted to say that we have a 2011 subaru wrx impreza limited edition. its small in the back for 3 carseats but we went to the Subaru Dealership last week and fell in love with the forester too. its super nice but not enough room for 4 carseats/boosters. I am due in october with our 4th and last baby. and there is no way 4 seats would fit lol.
We heard the Tribeca may be gone for a yr in 2014 to get re vamped because a lot of people are complaining the SUV is too small for a family, not enough room for strollers, carseats and groceries. or they may just discontinue it. there is no other company we like. We are true subaru family.

bob27

Hi,

I really want to get a 2014 forester, but I've heard that the center seat is still to narrow to get a good install. I need to install a rear-facing infant (and soon convertible) seat in the center. I did a quick measurement at the dealer and the middle seat seemed to be less than 13 inches wide (the narrowest bases are all 13 inches).

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Clek CPST

I've had the Foonf in all rear seating positions in the 2014 Forester and I'm attaching a link to a shared album. The center position is still quite narrow and I think you'll have trouble finding a seat that fits in the middle with room for an adult to sit comfortably on each side. I could fit beside the ff'ing Foonf and buckle, but it wouldn't have been comfortable for any length of time.

Here are some pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/100451...&authkey=Gv1sRgCOOn5ciL4tOhVA&feat=directlink

For reference, the Foonf is 1/8" narrower than the Radian overall. The footprint is probably close to an inch narrower when ff'ing. There's still a slight hump in the center position so if you get a base much wider than the Foonf you would still run in to the problem of having adequate vehicle seat support in that position, but overall the seatbelts are much better designed and the width is decent - and front seat space is extremely generous without having the front seats back all the way.

Neatfreak

We've had a 2014 Forester for a few weeks now, and it works very nicely with my oldest kid's Monterey (she has no difficultly buckling herself. It's good as well with my youngest's FFing Radian, though I think that I could get the seat in a smidge tighter (the Marathon spoiled me for installs). This is our first Forester.

I don't have an infant seat around to try out, but I suspect that it may be a better fit in the center if you use it without a base because it still is a narrow seating position.

Warbaby

Those photos look very familiar...Subaru City in Edmonton?
I was looking for your opinion on whether my setup would fit in a 2014 Forester. Clek Foonfs RF in each outboard position for one year old twins (once they grow out of their Graco buckets) and a Clek Oobr in the middle for our five year old? This will be our secondary vehicle so I won't be hauling three across all the time, but there will be occasions when it will be required, especially during the worst of our winter weather. Primary vehicle is a 2012 Honda Odyssey with tons of room all around. I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 11".
I really love Subarus and don't want to spring for something much larger if I can avoid it!
Thanks!

I've had the Foonf in all rear seating positions in the 2014 Forester and I'm attaching a link to a shared album. The center position is still quite narrow and I think you'll have trouble finding a seat that fits in the middle with room for an adult to sit comfortably on each side. I could fit beside the ff'ing Foonf and buckle, but it wouldn't have been comfortable for any length of time.

Here are some pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/100451...&authkey=Gv1sRgCOOn5ciL4tOhVA&feat=directlink

For reference, the Foonf is 1/8" narrower than the Radian overall. The footprint is probably close to an inch narrower when ff'ing. There's still a slight hump in the center position so if you get a base much wider than the Foonf you would still run in to the problem of having adequate vehicle seat support in that position, but overall the seatbelts are much better designed and the width is decent - and front seat space is extremely generous without having the front seats back all the way.

Clek CPST

Those photos look very familiar...Subaru City in Edmonton?
I was looking for your opinion on whether my setup would fit in a 2014 Forester. Clek Foonfs RF in each outboard position for one year old twins (once they grow out of their Graco buckets) and a Clek Oobr in the middle for our five year old? This will be our secondary vehicle so I won't be hauling three across all the time, but there will be occasions when it will be required, especially during the worst of our winter weather. Primary vehicle is a 2012 Honda Odyssey with tons of room all around. I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 11".
I really love Subarus and don't want to spring for something much larger if I can avoid it!
Thanks!

Subaru City sounds right, it was the one in the neighborhood of 111 Ave and 178St.

I'm unsure as to how that setup would work as the middle position is narrower and I don't know how seatbelt access would be for buckling. I have an Oobr and a Foonf that I could use to meet up and test with you and get an idea if you'd like. If they'd let you test drive the car to West Coast Kids then we could put all 3 seats in the back and see how it worked - I only have the 1 Foonf to work with but they have displays that would work to be able to test all 3 seats.

I really hate to say yes or no to a specific 3 across set up until I've tried it. I suspect that an Oobr outboard with the 2 Foonf side by side might work better - but again it's something I'd have to try to know for sure. Feel free to send me an email through the system here or a private message. Email will go straight in to my work email.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC