Question Which is safer: RF in a MyRide or FF in a Frontier 85?

LBR

I have searched the other posts, but haven't found an exact answer to my dilemma...

I currently have DS2 FF in a Frontier 85 in the driver's side 2nd row bucket seat in a caravan. I turned him around at 2yo, 32 lbs. I don't really love the fit of the MyRide in my caravan RF or FF(super slanted seats), it fit great in my 2007 4-door Chevy Truck, but with #3 on the way, we decided to trade vehicles. I still use it as the back up in DH truck where it fits great either way. I couldn't wait to turn DS2 FF, but now I'm having second thoughts...I feel like I've put him in harms way even though I ordered him a heavier/sturdier seat.

I watched some crash test videos and simulations of head/neck movement in collisions, and I am stressing now that he would be safer RF since he is still below 40lbs (RF limit for MyRide 65). The Frontier is such a heavy, well-built seat, and the install in my van is awesome....but would he be safer RF in the MyRide, which doesn't feel as heavy? Also, is RF safer in a side-impact collision, or does that depend on the brand/style of the seat?

I've also considered going ahead and getting a new convertible with a higher RF limit, and keep DS2 in it until he's too heavy to RF or DS3 outgrows the carrier, whichever comes first, then switching DS2 back to the Frontier. DS3 (5 1/2 mo, 20lbs) is currently in a B-Safe and his shoulders are just above the second highest notch, so he has plenty of room left. I'm looking at the Radian RXT, the Britax G3s, Graco My Size, Chicco Nextfit, or Pria. I saw where the Clek Foonf is RF to 50...but that one is out of my budget. I also saw a Snugli convertible, but couldn't really find a lot of reviews on it.

Any thoughts, suggestions, links to other threads I missed, etc. would be greatly appreciated...TIA!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Rear facing is safer. It's the safest way to ride as long as possible (make sure he fits by height as well). No forward facing seat is safer than rear facing in any seat (assuming proper use).

Wendy

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You don't mention DS2's current age, height, and weight.

Assuming that (a) you can get a proper install of the My Ride rear-facing in your vehicle, and (b) your child has not exceeded either the rear facing height or the weight limitations of the My Ride, then rear facing would be the safer option.

That doesn't mean that your child is necessarily unsafe in the Frontier. My 2.5 year old rides rear facing because it's safer, but she would still be fairly safe in a forward facing seat. She would be safer still at age 3, or 3.5, or 4... the older the child gets, the safer facing forward becomes. We strongly encourage parents to rear-face until at least age two, because children under two are especially vulnerable to spinal injuries; but really all of us would be safer if we could ride rear facing.

If you don't like the install or fit of the MyRide in your current vehicle, it's probably worth getting something different for the baby. If you want to rear-face your older child until either he gets too tall or heavy or the baby needs the seat, that's a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

Rear facing provides a great deal of extra protection in a side-impact crash as well as in a frontal crash. It has not been shown to be less safe in a rear-facing crash and in some cases may also be safer for rear-end collisions as well. So there's really no downside from a safety perspective.

nikki118

Provided the seat is installed correctly and the child is short enough and light enough for the seat's specifications, rear-facing is always always safer.

LBR

Thank you both for the info.

DS2 is 36lbs, 37" tall. In the MR instruction manual, it says the bottom 4 strap slots are for RF and the top 4 slots are for FF. DS2 uses the straps in the second highest slot (last slot allowed for RF), and his head is about 1-1/2" below the top of the carseat. He can use it RF for a little while longer, then FF until he reaches the limit. DS3 is growing at the same rate DS2 did, their Wellness Exams are identical in height/weight. I need a seat that does a higher height and weight limit so it can last for DS3, too. Is the Radian RXT the best choice? It seems to have one of the highest weight and height limits and not too $$$.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The Radian is an excellent choice for a convertible seat. Sometimes the way different kids are proportioned, one seat will last longer for one child, and a different seat will last longer for a different child. for MY daughter, the longest-lasting rear-facing seat on the market would be the Foonf, with the Radian coming in second place. The Radian is a better fit for my vehicle and my budget than the Foonf, so that's what my daughter uses.

Your DS2 is pretty much the same height and weight as my 31 month old daughter. :) She is hovering around 36 lbs or so, give or take (she seems to vary a lot for some reason) and is 37.5 inches tall. She has about 4 inches above her head in the Radian, and she's long in the torso and short in the legs (she wears 2T pants and 4T shirts). How old is your DS2?

LBR

DS2 is 2 1/2, and wearing 4T shirts and 2T pants. He's long waisted, but his legs have started growing more and his pants are getting high-water lol.

DS2 will be riding outboard in one of the 2nd row captains chairs, and is currently behind the driver (DS3 behind passenger). I really like the RXT, but tried DS2 and DS3 in the Graco Headwise today, and I really like it, too. The head wings are great, and they both fit well in the seat. It was raining, so I didn't try it in my car, and i want to try them both in the RXT, too. It takes about 30-45 minutes to get to the closest BuyBuyBaby, though. I will hopefully have a chance this weekend. Which has a higher RF height limit, the Graco or RXT?

I really need 2 seats, one for my van and one for DH truck. Since DS3 is still in the carrier, I can install MR RF in DH truck for now. I saw the Radian 120 (storm fabric) is on sale for $199 free shipping at justkidsstore.com...but I like the head wings on the RXT for added protection since the kiddos will be riding outboard. Should I be considering one of the G-3s? I think I read somewhere they are outgrown rather quickly, though.

LBR

I decided to go with the Graco MySize 70, so DS2 is offically re-RF. Height seems to be more of an issue than weight right now, so I went with the higher height limit of the MySize instead of the higher weight limit of the Radian RXT. I like it so far, great install and very easy to use, and move back and forth between cars. DS2 is behind the driver's seat, and I have the vehicle seat almost all the way forward so I can get DS2 over the sides of the car seat, and DH (6'0ft tall) still has plenty of room.

If DS2 is still able RF when DS3 outgrows carrier in a few months, I may get the Radian RXT and re-evaluate where we are on height/weight with both kiddos.

I'm very glad I decided to ERF with DS2....DH thought it was crazy, but finally gave in to getting another seat. DS2 looks so much more protected and cozy, and hasn't complained once about being RF again, or his legs being scrunched up (its only been a couple of days ;), though).

Thanks for all of the help!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC