Struggling with Belt Installation of a Frontier in a Prius

Derby

I have an '09 Prius and a Britax 85 (non SICT version). My DD recently hit 40 lbs so I switched to the seat belt installation and am really struggling to get it tight enough. I also have a Highlander with an Argos in it so I could switch the seats if necessary. I think the Argos can still be installed using LATCH, right? I recently put the Frontier in my dad's Highlander and got it solid using the seat back/forward trick. Any tips? Thank you!

Last edited:
ADS

AK Dad

I've found the long belt path install of my F85 to be excellent in most situations, so if the belt in your prius is long enough to make that happen I bet you'll get it nice and tight with that. Only "trick" I would suggest is pull the belt all the way out and put a clip of some kind on it to hold it extended so you don't have to fight the retractor as you're threading the belt path. That way you also can work with as much slack as possible until you're ready to do final tightening.

Brianna

Have you watched both of the videos? I found them very helpful. Knowing just where to pull the belt really helps

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnjMsmlN48k"]Installing the Britax Frontier 85 using the long belt path - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZiOj4-LmA"]Britax Frontier 85 Harness-2-Booster Seat: Harness Mode Installation Using Lap/Shoulder Belt - YouTube[/ame]

nataliem257

Does a Prius have removable head rests? Do they allow for them to be taken off? That used to help me before I had a car where you could recline the seat a bit to make it fit more flush. Also, after your buckled, put a knee in, pull all of the slack out starting a few inches above the latch plate, then work your way right to left, if that makes sense. If you just pull for the shoulder sometimes it gets hung up and doesn't tighten at the lap. Man I hope that made as much sense on here as it did in my head.

Derby

I finally have time to mess with this car seat (DD's been riding in an Argos) and the seat belt isn't long enough for the LBP. Suggestions for SBP?

Brianna

If it has the same seat belt length as the 2010, it is just long enough for the long belt path outboard. If you can have a second person hold the seat belt all the way out while you thread it through the belt path you might have better luck. You may need to put a knee in the seat to have enough slack in the seat belt to buckle. Be sure you're not routing the seat belt under the armrest on the side opposite the buckle, it needs to run up the inside of the seat. I've made that mistake before.

Derby

I will try that, thank you. 2010 is the year the Prius had a body style/interior change so there is a chance the belt length is different.

Derby

Got it buckled! Another question.. is it okay if the shoulder part is bunched where it comes out from the pads and goes back up?

Brianna

If it's how I'm picturing it, yes. The angle the seat belt comes out doesn't allow it to lay flat there. If you can post pictures we can give you a more definite answer.

Derby

I hate this car seat so much. I've been doing this for over an hour and it's still moving more than an inch. :mad:

Brianna

I hate this car seat so much. I've been doing this for over an hour and it's still moving more than an inch. :mad:

Are you removing slack as shown in the first video, starting at 1:20? And are you only checking for movement at the belt path with your non dominant hand with about the same pressure as a firm handshake?

Derby

No, I have been using both hands to check the tightness and definitely harder than a firm handshake. If that's wrong, you've made my day. :)

Derby

Brianna, you are an ANGEL!!! Thank you so much for sticking with my post and helping me through the process (in real time, at that). I really appreciate it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC