Whats the scoop on forward facing seats nowadays?

fyrfightermomma

Ill probably be turning my son FFIng for good this summer. So it's time to think about seats

It's been quite a while since we used harnessed seats. Back when we did the nautilus and frontier were about it. So that's what we had. I'm hoping newer ones have come out since then

He's been FFing in the ex's car since he was 2.5. He used a kiddy seat and now is in a peg convertible. That thing is huge. He can't even see out the window! Def don't want that

He's not a huge kid so I probably don't need anything too huge.

So my requirements are low profile, no short crotch straps (it weirds me out digging for it once they are older), no twisty harness and Thays about it.

So what new seats are out in the past year or year And a half that might fit the bill?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Frontier 90. Not because it's huge, which you don't need, but because it has the same crotch strap stander-upper belly pad that the G3 convertibles have, ie, *definitely* no digging for anything. Also the coolest seatbelt installation of any carseat, ever. Recaro Performance series looks good, too... uh.. is it the prosport still? Anyway, Performance is better than regular. Nautilus and most Gracos/Evenflos have horrible buckles lately, so meh on those.

Epcot

CPS Technician
+1 on the Frontier 90. If I had to buy a combo now, it would be that seat hands down. Like the G3 like features and ClickTight is awesome (looking...haven't seen in person). I'm a little biased, as I have 2 FR85s....but I love them. My DD loves hers - very comfortable...went all the way to NC from CT.

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I still do love my Nautilus. It's the same old, same old though. A Frontier 90 sounds way more exciting.

MommyShannon

Yeah FR90 for sure. I hate the Evenflo and Graco buckles. My kids liked their nautilus seats (old buckles) but are more comfy in their FR85s. I love the belly pad buckle thing on the G3 so that's a great feature on the FR90. The installation looks amazing compared to LBP on the 85. There is um "speculation" that there will be a lower cost version of it later but it looks like it won't have the awesome install "Click Tight" and a little smaller headwings.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Yeah FR90 for sure. I hate the Evenflo and Graco buckles. My kids liked their nautilus seats (old buckles) but are more comfy in their FR85s. I love the belly pad buckle thing on the G3 so that's a great feature on the FR90. The installation looks amazing compared to LBP on the 85. There is um "speculation" that there will be a lower cost version of it later but it looks like it won't have the awesome install "Click Tight" and a little smaller headwings.

Didn't the Britax release *say* there will be a lower cost version of the seat? (Or maybe I read it on CarSeatBlog.)

OP, are you on a budget? I'd suggest checking out the new Evenflo SureRide, for less than $100 I believe. It goes to 65 lbs. harnessed and has top slots of slightly more than 19", so should get your DS safely to booster age/size. It's a convertible, but doesn't feel like a bulky baby seat when used FF. :) I'm not 100% sure that it meets your other requirements but at that price and size, it would be worth checking out.

msg221

I definitely will be buying a FR90 (Zebra!) at some point. That super easy installation won me over in addition to not having to un-install the seat to adjust the harness. Not having to dig the crotch strap out from under the kid is icing on the cake!

fyrfightermomma

So what's the difference between the frontier 85 like my daughters used and the 90? I'm so out of the loop. Is it just that click safe thing and higher weight limit? (Not that I need it. He's pretty scrawny)

Budget is an issue, but not that huge. I have till summer to save and the ex has to pay half anyways. But ill check out that evenflo one

Yeah at seat checks I've noticed the new graco buckles. I didnt like them at all! My friend just had a baby and I buckled her baby once into his snug ride (or whatever name they decided to use this month) and it was awful.

That new chicco seat is on a base right?

nataliem257

It has improved EPP foam, higher arm rests, an extra half inch of harness (although slight less booster height), push forward buckle, slightly more narrow profile, traditional recline, redesigned headwings, and obviously the coolest seat belt install ever! Not to mention Zebra and cactus flower :-o

ETA: oh and safe cell in the base. I knew I forgot something

MommyShannon

Didn't the Britax release *say* there will be a lower cost version of the seat? (Or maybe I read it on CarSeatBlog.)

Yes, it mentioned it on here but it wasn't supposed to be released yet. Another site has a picture of it in their release info too so more details were figured out from it. It hasn't officially been announced so details are just from people (including me) obsessively analyzing a picture, lol.

OP, Evenflo is using the same buckles as Graco so if those are a no-go for you, you are basically left with Britax and Recaro. There's the Harmony Defender too but there are lots of complaints about how short the crotch strap on the buckle is. I really want the convenience of front adjust harness on the FR90.

tiggercat

Maybe I am missing something, but why not just use the Radian and symphony you have until he outgrows them?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

fyrfightermomma

Maybe I am missing something, but why not just use the Radian and symphony you have until he outgrows them?

I don't have Internet, just my phone so I can't see signatures. But I know mine is ancient lol. I haven't had the symphony in close to a year. He outgrew that a long time ago. What else does my siggy say? Lol. Im curious now how old my siggy is. It's gotta be close to two years old I would think.

I have one radian left he's in now but forward facing its a mess in my car. I tried when the girls were little and just hated it. I don't remember specifics but do remember it didnt last long before they went to other seats

tiggercat

I don't have Internet, just my phone so I can't see signatures. But I know mine is ancient lol. I haven't had the symphony in close to a year. He outgrew that a long time ago. What else does my siggy say? Lol

I have one radian left he's in now but forward facing its a mess in my car. I tried when the girls were little and just hated it. I don't remember specifics but do remember it didnt last long before they went to other seats

Your siggy has him at 2y0m. So what is he in now?

E Probooster
S GN/frontier
J RXT/symphony e3

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC