School bus?

CMeMeC

We have a bus that our kids will be riding in frequently...think school bus seats with lap belt only. What is the safest way to ride? My kids are 6, 5, and 2. I think the oldest 2 might be ok in just the seat belts and I can use a convertible for the two year old (scenera?). He must be restrained because I do t want him sliding around or trying to run around. But what is the safest way to transport them? I've used a car seat on a charter bus before, but this is a personal vehicle.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm a little bit confused. Is this a private vehicle that you own, and in which your children will be transported? Or is this an actual school bus in which your children will be riding to school and thus cannot have seats "installed" for just them?

ETA: I just saw that you said it was a personal vehicle. Sorry! :eek: I am not sure how I missed this.
In that case, knowing it is a personal vehicle, I would install seats for as many of the children as you can. Busses are safe transportation, but if you have the option of a seat, I would take it!

Here is a seat specifically designed for school bus transportation: http://www.safeguardseat.com/industries/school-transportation/add-on-restraints/star-plus.php

I agree that the Scenera would be good for the 2-year-old.

CMeMeC

It's odd, I know. Most people don't own school buses...it's actually a conversion and was a school bus in its former life. Husbands...anyway, it has the original seats with lap belts. My oldest normally rides in a booster, which would pose no benefit in this situation and although the 5 year old is normally harnessed, she "could" be in a booster, too.

mdsvc89

The kids will either have to be harnessed, with no seat, or in a restraint designed for a bus. You can't use a lap belt with a booster.

Michelle

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC