2.5 year old doesn't want to RF...

clmchrissy

Suggestions?

For the past week DD has fought & cried getting in her seat. She wants a "boosta" seat :( I thought she was referencing a FF seat, but after finally letting her ride in the Blvd70 ff I realized it wasn't that. She is RF again and I finally got a mirror to see of that helps. I think a new seat she can easily get into will help too, thinking of Minnie Mouse TF and or Foonf. Just looks for suggestions. As she told me two days ago after the ff a.m. Ride to "turn it around".

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I don't have any great suggestions. I am still having to physically hoist my 2.5 year old into her seat every. single. time.. If I open the door and tell her to get in her car seat, she plants her butt firmly on the vehicle seat, grabs the seat belt and buckle, and proudly yells "buckle up!!" :/ Then I have to wrestle her into the car seat. If I place her butt in the car seat first, she has more or less outgrown the need to fight me on it. Usually.

I doubt forward facing would solve my problem. She wants to ride like her big brothers, who are 17 & 19.

MommyShannon

In my experience, my kids just went through phases of not wanting to be restrained or forced to get in any seat. The Britax seats do get crowded though. DD2 has a TFP she really likes and after stages of not wanting to get in the car last year, she never asks to sit ff and rarely fights getting in. The TF is very roomy and nice if the 35lb rf limit is ok.

clmchrissy

dd did try to sit in the front today and in ds1 nbb. I think it's a phase too, but never had issues with the boys using car seats or rf. lol my 5.5 year old has been trying to get into dd rf seat. She was very interested in the mirror so maybe that will help and she can see me too.

mrosehughes

2.5 was a heavy bribing age for us. I kept mints and gum for DS (which he adores) and also played lots of silly games and told stories when he got in without a fight (which he also loves). If you can change it up (move it to one side of the car or the other) or get a cover she loves I'm sure that would help too. GL, that's a tough age.

If K or L became very, very resistant (I.e turning into a human 2x4 and flat-out refusing to get in their seat) I would pick them up and proceed to fold them "in half" at the waist keeping one hand on their back and my arm across their pelvis, and place said folded child into the seat, holding them down while I buckled. This was a very last resort mostly used when they were tired and having a fit which could not be quietly reasoned through.

Hopefully she is only going through a short phase. Good luck!

thepote

I found that a crowded seat like RF Britax convertibles at about age 2.5 are just a recipe for complaints. I would go with a roomier convertible that also works great for you FF to try to get more time rf, but that would be a good fit when you are comfortable turning ff.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC