There's an evenflo discovery 5 point?

Shaunam

I saw one of these at wal-mart and was surprised because to me discovery=3 point. Is this a new thing or has there been a 5 point one out for a while? It's the same price as the 3 point. Wouldn't it be great if they quit making the 3 point? Those things just DON'T look safe to me, especially on a smaller baby.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5933971

I also saw that my mom's neighbor got one. The box was in the trash and I just had to look closer to see if it was a 3 or 5. :whistle:

ADS

LuvBug

yes evenflo announced a few months back there would be a 5 point version of the seat. It is great! now hopefully all the hospital seats given out will be 5 points(I dont know about other areas but the discovery is what all our hospitals give).

Shaunam

A quick question....How is it that small babies don't fly out of those things? Their legs aren't even long enough to reach where the buckle goes in the seat and it doesn't hold the harness against their body!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
When we say the seat shell absorbs most of the impact in RF seats, we ain't just whistlin' Dixie... :D... really, the harness is of very little consequence in an rf seat, it just kind of has to hold the kid in the seat. Now, of course, the next round of CHOP data could really come out in favor of snug fitting 5 pt harnesses, but for now, the data aren't compelling enough, just the consumer demand is driving it, for us to really be freaky about getting a super snug 5 pt harness fit on RF babies.

Shaunam

When we say the seat shell absorbs most of the impact in RF seats, we ain't just whistlin' Dixie... :D... really, the harness is of very little consequence in an rf seat, it just kind of has to hold the kid in the seat. Now, of course, the next round of CHOP data could really come out in favor of snug fitting 5 pt harnesses, but for now, the data aren't compelling enough, just the consumer demand is driving it, for us to really be freaky about getting a super snug 5 pt harness fit on RF babies.

What about side-impact crashes? It seems like they would be tossed around like a rag doll.

LuvBug

no apparently their heads will just accelerate until it hits the shell... so you will need to purchase a bolster to cure that.

(sorry for some reason I am totally bitter at recaro right now... and I REALLY dont know why lol!)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just not a lot of data injury to prove it... I agree it seems bad in theory (they do great in Europe, where most seats are 3 pt...).
At any rate, I'm all for 5 pts, don't get me wrong...just that three points are still really safe in practice :)

lamamaloca

European three-point harnesses are very different to most of the ones here, though. From what I've seen they have two shoulder straps that buckle into a crotch strap, so you don't get the "straps down by the feet" issues that you can with three points here.

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
thats a pretty cute print to! But i am glad to see they have jumped on the 5point bandwagon! its about time

Clarissa

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think my second son could have managed to strangle himself in his three-point harness, though. I was told over & over that as long as it was tight enough, he couldn't manage it, and fortunately he never did, but he sure as heck tried his little heart out!

I'm also wondering how the 3-pt harnesses perform in rollovers. Any data on that?

That said, my third son was in a 3-pt harness when our van got t-boned at 35+ mph, and he did all right in it. Possibly had an undiagnosed head injury due to lack of SIP, but that's another story.

elle7715

Graco stopped making 3pts after they were sued though, right? Someone once posted a link to the newspaper article. A baby girl was ejected out of the seat (might have been a rollover) and the parents sued Graco. I don't think I need to see crash tests to know that a small baby would be thrown around and possible out of an American 3pt. I'd feel pretty comfortable using a tight European 3pt though. :twocents:

Shaunam

I saw a baby in a graco 3 point today and it's a much better seat than the evenflo one. The buckle was much closer to the back of the seat. I can see how THAT type of system would work. But I had an evenflo 3 point that my mom picked up at goodwill (don't worry, I never used it!) and just out of curiosity, I put DS in it when he was small (and let's not forget that he was NOT a small baby!) and there was NO WAY I would have used it even if it was brand new out of the box. Way too much room between him and the harness. He looked like he'd just be flung out of it in anything other than a head-on crash.

tjham

I saw one of these at wal-mart and was surprised because to me discovery=3 point. Is this a new thing or has there been a 5 point one out for a while? It's the same price as the 3 point. Wouldn't it be great if they quit making the 3 point? Those things just DON'T look safe to me, especially on a smaller baby.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5933971

I also saw that my mom's neighbor got one. The box was in the trash and I just had to look closer to see if it was a 3 or 5. :whistle:

My granddaughter is 6 and I was sure her Evenflo infant seat was a Discovery 5. Am I remembering wrong? I KNOW it was Evenflo and I KNOW it had a 5 pt harness and a "5" in the name! :D

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Maybe your granddaughter had an Evenflo On My Way Position Right V (V as in roman numeral 5)? We had one for DD1 and she's almost 6 years old. :) It had a 5-point harness, adjustable base, and paper clip style chest clip. Not my favorite infant seat but it served us well enough briefly before DD1 outgrew it by height. :whistle:

tjham

Maybe your granddaughter had an Evenflo On My Way Position Right V (V as in roman numeral 5)? We had one for DD1 and she's almost 6 years old. :) It had a 5-point harness, adjustable base, and paper clip style chest clip. Not my favorite infant seat but it served us well enough briefly before DD1 outgrew it by height. :whistle:

That doesn't sound familiar. Not a paper clip style chest clip.

I just found a picture (don't know how to post). It was blue and white plaid with a picture of a cartoon lion and a teddy bear above the head area. It came with a travel system. It sure looks like a 5 pt. She had harness strap covers (oops! :eek: ) but at least I knew that the big long ones were not good and where the chest clip should go, so I took one harness cover and cut it in half so they were the size of the ones that comes with Britax seats now.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My granddaughter is 6 and I was sure her Evenflo infant seat was a Discovery 5. Am I remembering wrong? I KNOW it was Evenflo and I KNOW it had a 5 pt harness and a "5" in the name! :D

Evenflo Port-a-bout 5?

of50332443.jpg

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
They haven't stopped making 3 points. I will be getting the new model any time now at work, then I store them all in the back room, for safe keeping! ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC