MyRide punched two holes through my leather!

Porcelain

I have a 2012 MyRide, and it was installed RF in my T&C since October. I also have a 2011 model that is different, but I had no idea HOW different until I pulled them out for cleaning today. The NEW MyRide has two hooks in the plastic, right where the sides of the seat press into the wings of my captain's chair, and over the last few months it stabbed HOLES right through my leather! I'm SO ANGRY about this. My van isn't even 2 years old yet, the seats are heated captain's chairs, and I have no idea how much this is going to cost.

I want to know if anyone else has had a similar problem with this seat? I bought it because it met my needs and was affordable, but if I had known it would cause problems like this, I would have sprung for a better seat.

Plus, I couldn't take out my OTHER MyRide, which is also RF, because the stupid LATCH strap was impossible to loosen. I had to cut it out with scissors!

Not very happy with Graco right now.
582273_10200435745630124_489202466_n.jpg

553146_10200435725869630_48048900_n.jpg

582328_10200435726309641_918908101_n.jpg

ADS

MotoMommaNH

Wow. I am sorry that really sucks. If a car seat did that to the leather in my car I'd certainly be calling Graco.
Not sure if this helps at all but there's a business in our area called Dr. Vinyl and ALL he does is repair vehicle interiors like leather and vinyl dashes etc. He actually comes to your house! I learned about through the body shops in town. Perhaps there's something like that near you! Good luck!

lovemy2kidstw

Wow, yeah I'd be calling Graco for sure. The good news is, the holes aren't huge, so they should be easily repaired :) Hopefully at Graco's expense.

NVMBR02

Ugh. That sucks. Our MyRide65 left deep dents in my leather seats, much deeper than any other seat I have ever had. Deep enough dents that I switched seats with Dh and put it in his car since he doesn't have leather.

The dents eventually popped up, so no permanent damage done.

canadiangie

What part of the seat punctioned the holes? I can't really make heads or tails of the pic, other than the recline handle. We don't have the S4M up here, s I'm not familiar with the shell.

Porcelain

they had it labeled at BRUS as the MyRide 70. Did they change the name at some point? Yes, the cover was over all the plastic. There's these holes, they have rounded hooks on the front, that follow the contour of the seat, but I guess when it was tight in the seat, they must have dug in to the wings on the sides of my seat.

I have another issue now. I need to keep my 14 month old rear facing, of course. My 2.5 year old is also rf. But I really don't want this to keep happening. Any ideas on how to protect the seat? I'm going to move them both to the 3rd row, which doesn't have such pronounced wings on the sides, but I think I should do something. I thought about switching the boys into each other's seats and turning my 2 year old ff, but I'm not ready for that, if I don't have to.

MommyShannon

There is a version called the MySize70. The same seat has several names, its confusing. The MyRide doesn't have a recline handle like that.

Phineasmama

If it's not a MyRide then why does it have MyRide pictures on the stickers? Also there is nothing on the MySize base that would cause holes like that.

OP does it have one cup holder or two? The MyRide always has two cupholders, the MySize/Size4Me/Headwise has only one cupholder.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I believe Graco allows for, and even recommends, a seat protector. Check the manual to be sure.

We all have varying opinions on this, but I'm not totally against seat protectors if they are very carefully used, and are OK'd by the car seat manufacturer. I'll just leave it at that because I don't have my big girl panties on tonight and I don't want to get flamed off the forum again for car seat heresy.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd also say MySize, but that's not the real issue here.

I think I understand what you're saying happened, OP, but can you take a photo of the seat in the vehicle so we can see how things line up?

I think you're saying that it's those edges on the front of the base--not on the bottom of the base--that dug holes into your captain's chair's seatback, not seat bottom?

If so, there are seat protectors that cover the vehicle seatback only (not the bottom), designed to keep muddy feet off upholstery. Something like that might help.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, the cover was over all the plastic.

Are there holes in the cover, too?

If it's not a MyRide then why does it have MyRide pictures on the stickers? Also there is nothing on the MySize base that would cause holes like that.

I just went out and looked at my Size4Me/MySize, and the stickers look exactly like the ones in the OP. My shell looks the same, too (with the "hooks" she's talking about).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Sorry for serial posting, but I went out and played.

82D5487B-03A6-4D99-AA4C-19DBA28D04F0-33214-00001E48B5C709C0.jpg

If you look at the front of the base (not the bottom) you'll see that notch, and at the end of the notch, there's sort of a "hook." Although the contours of my vehicle seat probably wouldn't cause a problem, I can see how some might.

That part should have the cover over it, though, which I would think would keep the "hooks" from digging in, but who knows?

trippsmom

CPST Instructor

OP does it have one cup holder or two? The MyRide always has two cupholders, the MySize/Size4Me/Headwise has only one cupholder.

It doesn't. The bottom of the label shows a picture with a pronounced headrest sticking out.

Porcelain

Thanks for the picture! I went out and looked at the label on it, and it's definitely a MySize. I'm blonde, what can I say? lol...I like it more than the MyRide my 2 year old rides in, for sure.

Anyway, yes, I think those hooks are the culprit. They ARE covered by the seat padding, and no, there's no marks or holes in the padding. It's completely bizarre, actually. The only thing I can think of is that I had an amazingly tight install with LATCH. When I pulled the seat out it actually was stuck to the leather and unpeeled. It left hard grooves across the seat back that might be permanent too. The holes are in the seat back, just below kidney height if you sat in the seat.

I reinstalled this morning in the third row where there aren't such pronounced sides on the seat. One thing in favor of it, it's a cinch to install, especially compared to my daughter's Radian. The seat back cover is a good idea, I think I'm going to go with that. Now to figure out how to fix the captain's chair, lol.

LBR

OP-I tried to install a MyRide 65 yesterday RF (hasn't been used RF in about 6 months), and the RF LATCH strap would tighten, but when I checked the seat for movement, the LATCH strap didn't hold at all. I was just wondering if you were able to replace the LATCH strap you cut out, or will you just use the SeatBelt install for RF. I contacted Graco, and since the seat was no longer in warranty (mfg date 1/22/2011, seat purchased 4/1/2011), they could not send or sell me a replacement RF LATCH strap. They did send me an email on how to receive a rebate if I buy a new Graco carseat. Just frustrated since the seat is only 2 yrs old.

Also, thanks for this post on the MySize/Size4Me/Headwise poking holes in the captains chairs. I have a 2011 Caravan and was planning on getting one of these when my DS3 outgrows his carrier. Hows the install 3rd row? Are you using LATCH or SeatBelt?

TIA

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC