Went to a check...disappointed :(

elle7715

There was a seat check just a few minutes from us today so after class we took the kids to get them checked. There was only one car there besides us, and about halfway through another car pulled in. It was pretty busy at other sections (it was a safety event) but I guess people would actually have to have seats to check :( :sigh:. I saw many kids double buckled and no preschoolers in anything.
So we pull in, I fill out the form, and they take our seats out. I had about 5 people come and look at my RF tether setup (I had it attached to that bar under the front seat). Since the vehicle didn't have a specific tether point they didn't want to do it. Said it would only help in a rear facing collision, and it would be safer NOT to have it since there wasn't a specific point in the car. I said I understood if they didn't want to do it but that I would try to find a nonmoving part and tether it when we got home. I specifically asked for help to keep the belts from loosening. We have lightweight locking latchplates and after a few days the seat gets loose. They said to tighten it every few days (not what I was wanting) or to use a locking clip. I was hoping they could help me figure out a way to flip the latchplate instead. One lady was pleasantly surprised DD was happy still rearfacing and congratulated me on that because "it was safer". I told her DD doesn't know that there's any other way to ride in our car. They were all very, very nice, probably great for the average parent but I was hoping for more specific help. One guy saw the pool noodles I used for DSs seat and said I must have been to a check. I said no, just a message board. I didn't say which one. They all said I did a great job installing them and they couldn't believe I'd never been to a check. Sorry this is so choppy sounding! DD is running wild and I think we're all feeling a little heat exhaustion. We waited over an hour to get child IDs on a CD for both kids and it was HOT! I'll be switching seats around on Monday so they'll just be installed again but I'll still have the problem with the loosening belt with DDs seat. Any advice on that?

ADS

elle7715

Is there any reason you can't or don't want to use a locking clip ?

No and that's what I was using when DS was in the Snugride. I thought it was better if you could flip the male latchplate instead? If it's OK I'll just put on locking clips again.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd rather you flipped the male end. Less parts to loose or do improperly. As long as the lap portion is tight and you can flip the buckle and get it buckled then I'd rather that.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
What is the difficulty you're having with flipping the latchplate? (Just trying to sound diagnostic, lol...nice open ended question...wondering why the techs couldn't help you...)

elle7715

The problem is that with the Marathon, the male end barely clears the (unused and open) lock-offs. Even with the female end twisted 3 full times. So if you twisted the male end, it would be right on the lock-offs. It will be installed in the center on Monday so I won't have that problem (heavyweight latchplate in the center doesn't loosen) but then I'll be trying to put a Radian there and will have the same problem with the loosening lightweight plates. I hope the Radian works in our car...if It doesn't it will go in my mom's car so DD can rearface in her car.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The supposed-to-be-easy answer is to just use the lockoff on the side away from the buckle, but I know it's never really that simple...but that's what it's supposed to be, lol.

Yeah, tough situation, glad you're moving it soon.

elle7715

The supposed-to-be-easy answer is to just use the lockoff on the side away from the buckle, but I know it's never really that simple...but that's what it's supposed to be, lol.

Yeah, tough situation, glad you're moving it soon.

I can't keep the lockoffs closed :( If I make it tight they pop open, and if I get enough slack in the seatbelt to close them then it's too loose for my comfort. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Radian works for us! I'll be posting on Monday and hopefully you guys (who are amazingly helpful, knowledgeable, and should be at my seat check :D) will help with with the installation if I have problems.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Try this (I've just been reading about lockoffs, lol)...lock just the lapbelt on the side away from the buckle. Since the latchplate is still basically doing it's job, if you lock the lapbelt, it will keep the seat from moving relative to the belt, and might just do the trick.

Or order new lockoffs and install them according to the new directions (the hinge is on the other side, they stay closed better, supposedly...)

Don't you wish we could all clone ourselves here and be the only people doing seat checks IRL? :D

arly1983

! I'll be posting on Monday and hopefully you guys (who are amazingly helpful, knowledgeable, and should be at my seat check :D) will help with with the installation if I have problems.

I have my fingers crossed for you. I hope you like it.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
OK, to help adjust the angle of the seat belt through the lock-off so the lock-off stays closed, install the seat kinda sorta loosely (as in not loose but not tight) with the MA rfing in the ffing upright position. Close lock off. Then reach under the front of the MA and pull the lever to recline it again. (you may need to apply pressure toward the front of the car) Tether to adjust angle.

This may take a few tries to get the hang of it so that the final result is a really good install, but once you figure it out it is super easy.

Kimberly

elle7715

Thank you Julie and Kimberly, I'll try a combination of what you guys suggested if I need to have it outboard again. We'll find out tomorrow when the Radian gets here.

Arly ~ I'm sure it will work out :) . DD has been riding in my mom's car more and more so if it has to go in there it might be a blessing in disguise. She's been forward facing in there since she turned two but I'm sure the bright pink seat could convince her otherwise ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC