RF'd a 6yo yesterday, lol...

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Had to pick up M&M from camp and drive them home yesterday. I don't watch them often, and when I do, I rarely transport. I wasn't crazy about the idea of uninstalling G&C's seats, especially to put them back in after a five-minute drive, so I asked little M (6y1m) if she would do me a favor and ride in G's seat. Elder M sat in the middle, where he just baaarely 5-stepped. (Good enough for a short drive where he could remain in position - anything longer and I would have questioned his ability to do so and had him sit in a booster.)

Anyways, my first thought after seeing that she did indeed still fit (she's well under 40lb and all legs) is "Gotta post this on CSO..."

Next time someone tells you their 1yo is too big to RF, you can tell them about this crazy girl in Ohio. ;)

Attachments

• M6.jpg
    M6.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 191
ADS

agave

That's great!
My leggy nephew rode RF at just over 5 in my van and thought it was great. Even in a Flora XTSL. At almost 6 he rode with me again and the first thing he said was "Why does she get to ride like that?" Referring to my RF 3 yr old. If he hadn't been 46" and 46lbs I would have found an excuse to take him somewhere. He was turned at 1 and boostered at 4. I wish my kids thought RF was as awesome as he does.

beetlemama

Wow, I'm jealous! My almost 4 year old is way too tall to RF in a radian already! FF her head is just over the top of the shell and she has less than an inch to the top harness slots! I wanted to RF straight to booster and couldn't, that little girl easily could!

tiggercat

My 7yo really wants to ride RF! Too bad she is way too big to fit.

Looks comfy!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

D&L's-mommy

Wow, I'm jealous! My almost 4 year old is way too tall to RF in a radian already! FF her head is just over the top of the shell and she has less than an inch to the top harness slots! I wanted to RF straight to booster and couldn't, that little girl easily could!

same here, I"m picking up an RXT for DNi and thought it'd be fun to re-rf DD but I know she'll be too tall, she's all torso (16.5" @ 4y7m)

beetlemama

same here, I"m picking up an RXT for DNi and thought it'd be fun to re-rf DD but I know she'll be too tall, she's all torso (16.5" @ 4y7m)

We're a hair under 17" at 3y 8.5m! My 5.5 year old was 17.5" on her 4th birthday! I'm always amazed when I see older kids in smaller seats because I forget just how tall and long-torsoed my kids are!

tiggercat

Hard to say, my 3.5yo has about 16in torso (guessing, he is over the 2nd to top slots) and still fits in the RXT.

D&L's-mommy

We're a hair under 17" at 3y 8.5m! My 5.5 year old was 17.5" on her 4th birthday! I'm always amazed when I see older kids in smaller seats because I forget just how tall and long-torsoed my kids are!

wow, they are long torsoed. DD is really throwing me for a CR loop, DS will be 9 in April, he has a 17" torso, standing height of 4'2", they're total opposites, I wish I had been so CPS conscious when he was little, he would have been rfing forever! lol

D&L's-mommy

Hard to say, my 3.5yo has about 16in torso (guessing, he is over the 2nd to top slots) and still fits in the RXT.

she has a seated height of 26", so I"m not getting my hopes up that she'll fit, but it'd be great if she did! she keeps kicking me in the back trying to stretch her legs, if she's rf she can't ;)

eta:I remeasured her, I got torso length of 16.25" and seated height of 24.75", so not as tall as I thought :)

tiggercat

she has a seated height of 26", so I"m not getting my hopes up that she'll fit, but it'd be great if she did! she keeps kicking me in the back trying to stretch her legs, if she's rf she can't ;)

Oh I hate that! I moved my kids around so my RFer is behind me just to avoid the feet in my back, lol.

beetlemama

wow, they are long torsoed. DD is really throwing me for a CR loop, DS will be 9 in April, he has a 17" torso, standing height of 4'2", they're total opposites, I wish I had been so CPS conscious when he was little, he would have been rfing forever! lol

Wow, your 9 year old is only 3" taller than my 5 year old! I'm so jealous of petite kids when it comes to carseats! My 3.5 year old is also 43 lbs naked, so even if she weren't too tall she still couldn't RF in a radian! We're pretty sure we'll start booster training right at 4 so we can do it while she still fits in the radian to determine if we need a frontier (really hoping not because of cost). DH has nixed the sureride since it doesn't become a booster and we boycott walmart, so the defender is out.

Luckily my kids have always been calm, compliant carseat riders so I'm comfortable boostering young (the 3 yo was a tantrum kid, but hasn't had one since Dec and has suddenly really matured, so I think we're coming out of that). I've been watching her in the car and see no evidence that the harness is why she sits well, she just mellowly chills in the car like her sister (who went to a f/t booster at 4 with not a single behavioral issue in 1.5 years). I'm really lucky that they're mellow car riders given their sizes!

babyherder

I would have done the same thing! No reason to uninstall a seat for one ride if a kid can safely fit in one you already have in!

D&L's-mommy

Wow, your 9 year old is only 3" taller than my 5 year old! I'm so jealous of petite kids when it comes to carseats! My 3.5 year old is also 43 lbs naked, so even if she weren't too tall she still couldn't RF in a radian! We're pretty sure we'll start booster training right at 4 so we can do it while she still fits in the radian to determine if we need a frontier (really hoping not because of cost). DH has nixed the sureride since it doesn't become a booster and we boycott walmart, so the defender is out.

Luckily my kids have always been calm, compliant carseat riders so I'm comfortable boostering young (the 3 yo was a tantrum kid, but hasn't had one since Dec and has suddenly really matured, so I think we're coming out of that). I've been watching her in the car and see no evidence that the harness is why she sits well, she just mellowly chills in the car like her sister (who went to a f/t booster at 4 with not a single behavioral issue in 1.5 years). I'm really lucky that they're mellow car riders given their sizes!

DS has spina bifida, and he had a tethered cord, once it was released this past July he finally started growing (the tethered cord blocked HGH), he weighted 26 lbs for 3 years! I'm hoping I can come up with something for DD, we're pretty set on getting a pt cruiser, and I need 3 across when I have DNi, so hopefully DD fits in the radian for a while (she's 4 so ff is fine, but I'd rf for a while if possible (she's barely 43lbs fully clothed) so I can put DNi in a tribute (or something else cheap and narrow) for a year or 2, then pass the rxt to DNi and put DD in our vivo and eventually the monterey. Luckily Dh told me I can get whatever seats I want, just don't show him the price tag, lol.I'd just get a sureride for DD but it's pretty wide, and I'm also really trying to avoid the defender, DH likes the foonf, which makes it tempting, lol. I wish she'd be a better booster rider (she uses a hbtb for a spare) but after 10 minutes I need to constantly remind her to stay in position, I guess that's the point of booster training, I just wish she was smaller so I could harness her until she goes to college, lol

beetlemama

DS has spina bifida, and he had a tethered cord, once it was released this past July he finally started growing (the tethered cord blocked HGH), he weighted 26 lbs for 3 years! I'm hoping I can come up with something for DD, we're pretty set on getting a pt cruiser, and I need 3 across when I have DNi, so hopefully DD fits in the radian for a while (she's 4 so ff is fine, but I'd rf for a while if possible (she's barely 43lbs fully clothed) so I can put DNi in a tribute (or something else cheap and narrow) for a year or 2, then pass the rxt to DNi and put DD in our vivo and eventually the monterey. Luckily Dh told me I can get whatever seats I want, just don't show him the price tag, lol.I'd just get a sureride for DD but it's pretty wide, and I'm also really trying to avoid the defender, DH likes the foonf, which makes it tempting, lol. I wish she'd be a better booster rider (she uses a hbtb for a spare) but after 10 minutes I need to constantly remind her to stay in position, I guess that's the point of booster training, I just wish she was smaller so I could harness her until she goes to college, lol

I'm sorry to hear that about your son, but it sounds like he's thriving now! I never understood the "booster training" "won't behave for a booster" thing until I had a carpool kid. She's 6 and if I had a seat that fit her (I don't) she would be harnessed even though I'll be fine with trying my new 4 year old in a booster this summer! I never realized how mellow and well behaved my kids were in the car until I saw a kid who isn't. She's a generally well behaved kid, but so fidgety and reaches to grab toys and stuff! She was so annoyed with me one day when she unbuckled to get something and I pulled over and wouldn't start the car again until she was sitting correctly ("my mom said if I'm quick it's fine..." grrrr). We also do 3 across our Pilot when it's just my 3, but since it's a pilot and includes a radian and/or keyfit and a parkway (DD1s booster) it's easy enough to do.

D&L's-mommy

I'm sorry to hear that about your son, but it sounds like he's thriving now! I never understood the "booster training" "won't behave for a booster" thing until I had a carpool kid. She's 6 and if I had a seat that fit her (I don't) she would be harnessed even though I'll be fine with trying my new 4 year old in a booster this summer! I never realized how mellow and well behaved my kids were in the car until I saw a kid who isn't. She's a generally well behaved kid, but so fidgety and reaches to grab toys and stuff! She was so annoyed with me one day when she unbuckled to get something and I pulled over and wouldn't start the car again until she was sitting correctly ("my mom said if I'm quick it's fine..." grrrr). We also do 3 across our Pilot when it's just my 3, but since it's a pilot and includes a radian and/or keyfit and a parkway (DD1s booster) it's easy enough to do.

he's doing very well now, thanks! DS has always sat so nice in a booster, but DD is so fidgety. She's a great kid, but I think she "forgets" that she shouldn't move while in a booster even though she can, she knows better than to unbuckle and doesn't move out of position frequently,but for now I feel better having her harnessed

sorry to hijack, OP

thtr4me

Nice to see she can fit RFing! I am pretty sure my 7yo would fit as well. Just not 100% sure if he would fit by height.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That's awesome! Heck, I'd ride RF if I could! I love having my legs in criss cross applesauce or leaning against the seat in front of me. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC