how does weight factor in with safety of rf vs ff?

laudymama

I should probably know the answer to this, and maybe I do and pregnancy brain is blocking my memory, but how does a child's weight and/or head size factor in to their safety rf vs ff -if at all? I've seen several people mention their light weight kiddos or that they have a larger melon so it got me to thinking about all of this. Especially since I am about to have to flip 3.5 year old ds ff and reeeally wanted to rf until at least 4.

ADS

jjordan

The weight really isn't a factor as far as I know (except that, of course, the child needs to be under the max RF weight limit of the seat). I have heard head size come up - basically that one of the risks to FF is internal decapitation, and the risk of that will be (theoretically) increased if the head is heavier. I don't know that this theoretical increase in risk has ever been quantified - I doubt it. Of course, the risk of FF is lessed as the spine ossifies, which happens with age. (So, basically, a big-headed 4 year old is still safer FF than a small-headed 2 year old, but a small-headed 2 year old is possibly a little safer FF than a big-headed 2 year old.)

Does this answer your question(s)?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Head size sure. Age yes. Developmental milestones yes (influence bone strength and density.) Weight, probably mostly just in how they fit seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC